*** MATT BAKER COVERS ONLY NO DUPLICATES***
7 7

412 posts in this topic

25,136 posts
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Point Five said:

If this cover was done around the same time as Crime Reporter 2 and 3, to me that’s an even stronger argument that it’s not by Baker. CR 2 and 3 already have those dynamic, fluid figures in an environment with depth, and pick out a split second in the narrative action. The Saint 4 has a formal composition more like a movie poster, and the figures are well-drawn but (comparatively) stiffer and more formal, like some of the mid-40s Chesler covers. It’s of course subjective, but to me the sensibilities are way different. 

Lee Ames did other covers for Avon and he has a way of drawing pretty women that is appealing.  Murderous Gangsters 1 and Samson and Delilah are two examples.  I mention this because if it wasn't Baker drawing The Saint #4 it had to be someone who drew pretty women well because we like the cover.

https://www.comics.org/issue/66299/cover/4/

https://www.comics.org/issue/585858/cover/4/

I just did a search on GCD for Ames and he was also at Fiction House/Iger Shop coincident with Baker.  GCD even lists two stories where there was a collaboration between them.  https://www.comics.org/penciller/name/lee ames/sort/alpha/  I don't have those issues and I'm curious how they detected the collaboration but I definitely would want to take a close look at the stories they supposedly worked on.

A superficial resemblance could be due to Ames being inspired by Baker or, if they knew each other, an assist by Baker.  The dominant hand, to my eyes, is most likely Ames.

Edited by adamstrange

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,430 posts
1 hour ago, Joshua33 said:

In other news... we're still missing GOING STEADY 13 AND 14. Does anyone have or know somebody who had these 2 issues? Let's get em posted and reorganize this thing into a finished product.

Okay, I have a 14 that I'm going to take a picture of. Try to get that soon. I have been doing a bit of the heavy lifting here. I use to have a 13, one of the first Bakers I ever purchased for $5.00. eventually sold because I thought the grade was too low and I'd find a better copy. So much for that idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
795 posts
53 minutes ago, sagii said:

...and Wedding Bells 16 to be added to the accounted for list :wink:

Thank you!!! Missed that one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
795 posts
36 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

Lee Ames did other covers for Avon and he has a way of drawing pretty women that is appealing.  Murderous Gangsters 1 and Samson and Delilah are two examples.  I mention this because if it wasn't Baker drawing The Saint #4 it had to be someone who drew pretty women well because we like the cover.

https://www.comics.org/issue/66299/cover/4/

https://www.comics.org/issue/585858/cover/4/

I just did a search on GCD for Ames and he was also at Fiction House/Iger Shop coincident with Baker.  GCD even lists two stories where there was a collaboration between them.  https://www.comics.org/penciller/name/lee ames/sort/alpha/  I don't have those issues and I'm curious how they detected the collaboration but I definitely would to take a close look at the stories they supposed worked on.

A superficial resemblance could be due to Ames being inspired by Baker or, if they knew each other, an assist by Baker.  The dominant hand, to my eyes, is most likely Ames.

Great research. Would love to dig into that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16,755 posts
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Joshua33 said:

In other news... we're still missing GOING STEADY 13 AND 14. Does anyone have or know somebody who had these 2 issues? Let's get em posted and reorganize this thing into a finished product.

Going Steady 13 is the only Baker book I looked for and never had or was offered a copy of. (shrug)

Edited by Ricksneatstuff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,197 posts
On 5/10/2019 at 10:45 AM, Yorick said:

Add the rest of the Going Steady covers too.

 

On 5/15/2019 at 2:10 PM, Joshua33 said:

OOPS! Nobody caught these? Looks like we're missing Gonig Steady 12,13 and 14

:baiting:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,158 posts

I've been gone for the month.  Can I see an updated list of what is needed?  I don't have time to go thru every page and make a list...LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
795 posts
1 hour ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

I've been gone for the month.  Can I see an updated list of what is needed?  I don't have time to go thru every page and make a list...LOL

It's all covered. Just trying to find the time to download all the shots and put them in alpha numeric order.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,158 posts
2 hours ago, Joshua33 said:

It's all covered. Just trying to find the time to download all the shots and put them in alpha numeric order.

OK, great.  Thanks.  Less work for me...:whee:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
7 7