• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Star Wars Action Figure Comic variant
2 2

20 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, poppy73 said:

Right now I think the best looking covers are the Star Wars Action Figure Variants. 

I enjoy so many different artists' covers, but these hold a special place in my collection for a variety of reasons. Finally got to meet JTC at Star Wars Celebration (previous SWCs he was always away from the booth when I stopped by). I'm a bigger fan now than before.

15 hours ago, icp004 said:

With the current series ending tomorrow with issue #75, do we know yet whether or or not JTC will be doing action figure covers for Star Wars vol 5 beginning in January?

JTC's doing the first issue of Star Wars: Rise of Kylo Ren and Star Wars: Empire Ascendant, both due out in mid December. Not sure what his plans are for Vol. 5, but as long as we keep buying them, I imagine he'll keep making them. There are so many more on my wish list that he hasn't done yet.

These are my favorite covers coming out currently.  He needs to continue making them as he hasn’t quite finished off all the original Return of the Jedi and Power of the force figures released as the Kenner Line was finishing.  Once those are finished I am ok if he wants to quit (or do the toy vehicles like he did with the Tie Fighter).

I have 90 of the 131 covers in CCG 9.8 released so far (including all Variants - sketch and the 6 Vader Down card backs) and am trying to put together a full set.  Only one signature series (I want universal but it seems universal covers are harder to come by than signature series as so many people want these books signed).

Anyone know why the Mace Windu #5 is a tough get?  You don’t see many listed on eBay and the few that are have a very big price tag.  I’m pretty sure it was not a jtc exclusive.  Was it a lower print run?  

16 hours ago, icp004 said:

Anyone know why the Mace Windu #5 is a tough get?  You don’t see many listed on eBay and the few that are have a very big price tag.  I’m pretty sure it was not a jtc exclusive.  Was it a lower print run?  

You may have hit on it with your last question. Pretty sure it had to do with retailer order numbers. If interest in the series declined between the first issue and this one, they probably ordered less so they'd sell through rather than put them in backstock. Not sure what the ratio was for these versus the regular cover, but that may have something to do with it too. I don't think either was a JTC exclusive. When I was trying to fill my run, I remember finding fewer #5s available for sale when compared with the #1s. 

On 5/4/2020 at 6:41 PM, icp004 said:

I completed my JTC Star Wars action figure variant set today of all days!  

23FB6FFE-2B6D-4B86-A1E3-DCC353E2D617.jpeg

What an accomplishment! Congratulations. Is this going to be graded or is your collection all raw books? This set has grabbed me from the beginning. Just got my Han Solo Stormtrooper Disguise in the mail from JTC's preorder awhile back. I hope he keeps it up, but I'm glad the pace is slowing down a little.

20 hours ago, celluloidbuff said:

What an accomplishment! Congratulations. Is this going to be graded or is your collection all raw books? This set has grabbed me from the beginning. Just got my Han Solo Stormtrooper Disguise in the mail from JTC's preorder awhile back. I hope he keeps it up, but I'm glad the pace is slowing down a little.

Thanks!  All but 3 are raw books.  I stopped collecting them midway thru for a while and started back at the end. I used the rare Midtown 75% off flash sale to fill the gap.  The exclusives I missed were a bit more costly from eBay.  I thought I would never get the Wonder World Comics exclusives as they are hard to come by and costly on eBay. Then by chance I checked Wonder World website and the have them on sale.  All 7 books for $59!!! Which books are you still searching for? 

2 hours ago, icp004 said:

Thanks!  All but 3 are raw books.  I stopped collecting them midway thru for a while and started back at the end. I used the rare Midtown 75% off flash sale to fill the gap.  The exclusives I missed were a bit more costly from eBay.  I thought I would never get the Wonder World Comics exclusives as they are hard to come by and costly on eBay. Then by chance I checked Wonder World website and the have them on sale.  All 7 books for $59!!! Which books are you still searching for? 

I have all the raw comics collected. I've also got a registry set of graded ones from this collection, some with signatures of the actor/puppeteer/prop builder portrayed. Working on finishing those up. Trying to find 9.8 quality to submit for grading in some of the later run books is tough as many of them suffered from color rub. It's sure been fun to build. I've found quite a few pieces for my collection from other boardies, had others help facilitate celebrity signatures, so I'm more than thankful for the community here.

2 hours ago, celluloidbuff said:

I have all the raw comics collected. I've also got a registry set of graded ones from this collection, some with signatures of the actor/puppeteer/prop builder portrayed. Working on finishing those up. Trying to find 9.8 quality to submit for grading in some of the later run books is tough as many of them suffered from color rub. It's sure been fun to build. I've found quite a few pieces for my collection from other boardies, had others help facilitate celebrity signatures, so I'm more than thankful for the community here.

I checked out your registry.  It is beyond amazing!!! (worship)

On 5/7/2020 at 12:49 PM, celluloidbuff said:

I wish there were a blush emoji on here. Thanks for the kind words.

Congratulations on your CGC Registry award!  I’ll say it again, your set is beyond amazing!!!  I’m also glad to see the Star Wars Action Figure Comic Variants get that kind of recognition.  I’m mostly a bronze collector but my SW Action Variant set is my favorite!!! 

1 hour ago, icp004 said:

Congratulations on your CGC Registry award!  I’ll say it again, your set is beyond amazing!!!  I’m also glad to see the Star Wars Action Figure Comic Variants get that kind of recognition.  I’m mostly a bronze collector but my SW Action Variant set is my favorite!!! 

Thanks for the kind words. I was more than surprised. I found out from another boardie because I had gone all weekend without logging on after they had announced the awards.

I'm so very lucky to have made so many connections here on the boards, both other collectors and facilitators. Without their help, building that set would've been a Herculean task.