• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coverless, wraps or single pages in CGC holders thread
1 1

63 posts in this topic

In regard to DETECTIVE COMICS #168, as page 13, "The Origin Of The Joker" is the important page, would it make sense to have

my remainder copy placed in a CGC Holder with the book folded to display page 13 in the front with page 12 displayed on the back,

thus keeping the book intact? 

Marty

45 minutes ago, Frank Mozz said:

Complete, coverless & while not a huge deal in regard for many members here, the pride of my collection and really a dream to own.

S6301145.thumb.JPG.5cdbe79f8aaf2891ba4f6878c1d776f1.JPG

Love this !  A dream for anyone I’d say !!!  can’t make out the notes or page quality.  What are they ? 

Edited by Chicago Boy

A few thoughts...

I don’t believe there’s anything ethically wrong with parting out a book. If you own it and have the ability to turn it into a good investment, you benefit and every collector happy enough to pay for a single page/wrap is making out as well. Some books are completely unaffordable to most, even coverless, so this allows collectors to acquire a piece of history that makes them happy.

To me, as a collector and as someone with tremendous respect for the history of comics, it does hurt to see complete (or mostly complete) copies cut up. In a perfect world, they could stay together. But the parting out of grail books has also helped boost the value of complete (or mostly complete) copies because they’re becoming harder and harder to come by.

I also believe that married books should not be shunned by nonsensical stigma. If you’re able to complete a copy, not with “photo copy” parts but original parts, that’s a wonderful feat...one that should be respected. Generally speaking, books with married parts are undervalued.

There are no “right” or “wrong” ways to go here, the market is what it is. If you’re on the side of wanting to keep books whole, buy them and keep them as-is. If you’re someone who can not afford a complete book and are happy to own a piece of it, fight hard to acquire the pieces you can.

4 hours ago, Wayne-Tec said:

A few thoughts...

I don’t believe there’s anything ethically wrong with parting out a book. If you own it and have the ability to turn it into a good investment, you benefit and every collector happy enough to pay for a single page/wrap is making out as well. Some books are completely unaffordable to most, even coverless, so this allows collectors to acquire a piece of history that makes them happy.

To me, as a collector and as someone with tremendous respect for the history of comics, it does hurt to see complete (or mostly complete) copies cut up. In a perfect world, they could stay together. But the parting out of grail books has also helped boost the value of complete (or mostly complete) copies because they’re becoming harder and harder to come by.

I also believe that married books should not be shunned by nonsensical stigma. If you’re able to complete a copy, not with “photo copy” parts but original parts, that’s a wonderful feat...one that should be respected. Generally speaking, books with married parts are undervalued.

There are no “right” or “wrong” ways to go here, the market is what it is. If you’re on the side of wanting to keep books whole, buy them and keep them as-is. If you’re someone who can not afford a complete book and are happy to own a piece of it, fight hard to acquire the pieces you can.

Just a really insightful and well thought out post, I agree 100%

On 5/12/2019 at 1:09 PM, Chicago Boy said:

No need. The boards should be able to help you out if you have a pic and or description. 

What would be considered the FMV of my DECTECTIVE #168?

IMG  DETECTIVE #168  (200 dpi).jpg

IMG  JOKER PAGE   (200 dpi)_0001.jpg

Edited by Marty Mann

I really wish that CGC would use a more precise terminology when labeling these fragments.  You can have a single wrap (4 pages) or a single leaf (2 pages), but NOT a single page.  This is NOT the 7th interior page but rather the 7th interior leaf (also known as the 13th and 14th interior pages).  If you are comfortable correctly calling Detective Comics #27 a 68-page book (the front/back covers plus 64 interior pages), then you cannot also be comfortable substituting the word "page" for the word "leaf" in the label description of this fragment.  And now, back to our regular programming ......

Pg.jpg.8c598dd164a95f97e9ebaf7216f4f5ff.jpg

On 5/14/2019 at 8:34 AM, zzutak said:

I really wish that CGC would use a more precise terminology when labeling these fragments.  You can have a single wrap (4 pages) or a single leaf (2 pages), but NOT a single page.  This is NOT the 7th interior page but rather the 7th interior leaf (also known as the 13th and 14th interior pages).  If you are comfortable correctly calling Detective Comics #27 a 68-page book (the front/back covers plus 64 interior pages), then you cannot also be comfortable substituting the word "page" for the word "leaf" in the label description of this fragment.  And now, back to our regular programming ......

Pg.jpg.8c598dd164a95f97e9ebaf7216f4f5ff.jpg

It's impossible to get terminology so precise that it pleases everyone.  I've listed books with missing pages but not from the main story, only to see it end up in an auction listing sounding like it's missing the main story because my listing says only "pages missing, affects story, incomplete" while a similar listing in the same auction takes care in the description to make sure the bidders know the main story is all there.  I see things slabbed with a xerox cover and the label says "classic cover." and I've seen listings for incomplete books on which the label says "first appearance of" even though the missing pieces include every vestige of that first appearance.  I've seen labels that say "piece missing from page, affects story, incomplete" when I know the piece missing is extremely small and affects only a word or two of text in a backup story about a funny animal, which feels to me like a whole lot better than an identical book in which someone had cut out the most important panel in the most important story, but the label description and the grade number make no such distinction.