• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Comics #1 Voldy slabbed copy on Metro Question
3 3

156 posts in this topic

It is the Lloyd Jacquet copy.  I was curious if the book had ever been graded by CGC and if so, what the grade and label color were.  With the three staples added would it be conserved by CGC?  I looked at GPA and no Lloyd Jacquet is recorded as a sale bt could have been through a site that GPA doesn't populate from obviously.  And the census doesn't show peds or collections associated with books.

https://www.metropoliscomics.com/load_bookDetails.php?id=654553&enlarge=1

16 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

What is a Lloyd  Jacquet book ? 

Lloyd Jacquet was the founder of Funnies Inc, one of the first comic book packagers who supplied artwork and stories to upstart publishers. Funnies Inc supplied all of the artwork for Marvel Comics #1. Lloyd Jacquet was revealed to have saved many "file copies" from the period. 

32 minutes ago, Frisco Larson said:

Lloyd Jacquet was the founder of Funnies Inc, one of the first comic book packagers who supplied artwork and stories to upstart publishers. Funnies Inc supplied all of the artwork for Marvel Comics #1. Lloyd Jacquet was revealed to have saved many "file copies" from the period. 

Awesome. Thanks. So this is a full proof cover with no inside ads attached to a complete interior ??

2 hours ago, telerites said:

It is the Lloyd Jacquet copy.  I was curious if the book had ever been graded by CGC and if so, what the grade and label color were.  With the three staples added would it be conserved by CGC?  I looked at GPA and no Lloyd Jacquet is recorded as a sale bt could have been through a site that GPA doesn't populate from obviously.  And the census doesn't show peds or collections associated with books.

I saw this and wondered how CGC would grade it as well. I'm thinking Qualified 3.0 with a married cover? Could it get an NG Blue label since the cover is not the one which shipped with the book but instead a cover which was never intended to be on a book?

1 hour ago, Chicago Boy said:

What is a Lloyd  Jacquet book ? 

CGC does notate the collection on the label.  I have a few copies.  I know at least one is Better (Nedor) Startling.  Like FL said above, they supplied to different publishers. 

3 minutes ago, Badger said:

I saw this and wondered how CGC would grade it as well. I'm thinking Qualified 3.0 with a married cover? Could it get an NG Blue label since the cover is not the one which shipped with the book but instead a cover which was never intended to be on a book?

That's kind of what I was wondering and if someone deslabbed a CGC PLOD or GLOD to have Voldy grade it as a clean label (admittedly with the description notes though)?

1 hour ago, Badger said:

It's interesting. As Lloyd was involved in producing the comics, it's certainly a different situation than say if Phil at the local comic shop attached a cover proof. I'd like to know more. Did the interior have a production cover on it at one time or was it grabbed out before a cover was ever attached? I doubt it'd go NG though, mostly due to what CGC did with the DC ashcans. Those covers were just reprinted artwork from existing covers (most of them anyway), basically copied in black and white, attached to incomplete remnant interior bits of other comics. My guess is that CGC would qualify it in a green label. 

37 minutes ago, Frisco Larson said:

It's interesting. As Lloyd was involved in producing the comics, it's certainly a different situation than say if Phil at the local comic shop attached a cover proof. I'd like to know more. Did the interior have a production cover on it at one time or was it grabbed out before a cover was ever attached? I doubt it'd go NG though, mostly due to what CGC did with the DC ashcans. Those covers were just reprinted artwork from existing covers (most of them anyway), basically copied in black and white, attached to incomplete remnant interior bits of other comics. My guess is that CGC would qualify it in a green label. 

That is the way I'm leaning: a Green label.  Because Lloyd was instrumental in making the book I would love to own it. It would be interesting to see how much it would go for at auction. If Metro actually owns it though I doubt they will put it up anytime soon. Vincent is known for sitting on books forever if need be.

5 hours ago, telerites said:

This thing makes my head hurt.

First, the "Pay Copy" is what I think of as "the Lloyd Jacquet copy" of this comic.  

Second, I'm not convinced this actually should be treated as a copy of Marvel Comics 1 (Timely 10/39).  Based on the descriptions and the appearance, it seems like this was a proof cover which was cut in half and then hand stitched to an interior of MC 1.  Which means the "cover" of this thing presumably predates the print runs for the October and November editions of Marvel Comics 1.  It's just not an example of the newsstand comic book.  It's not a Marvel Comics 1, despite what the holder implies, it's something else.

Third, what it is mystifies me.  It might be an ashcan.  But, I wonder why you'd be assembling an ashcan after they already had printed the comic (ashcans are made before you go to press, usually using interiors from other comics (DC) or quick prints of part of a comic (Fawcett)).  I don't know of any ashcans created after they had already printed the whole comic interior.  This thing was clearly assembled after the interiors had already been printed.  So this is one weird item.

Finally, I don't quite understand the holder.  Am I missing where the holder notes that it is restored?  Isn't the white on the spine some sort of leafcasting or underlay?  It's not part of the original cover proof.

Having said all that, it's a cool thing, whatever it is.  Certainly worth some bragging rights.

P.S.  What's the "Marvel Japan Collection"?  Metro's hype name for a comic collection out of Japan?  If so, what do they do when they sell the next collection out of Japan?  They got to be more creative in picking their hype names.

13 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

This thing makes my head hurt.

First, the "Pay Copy" is what I think of as "the Lloyd Jacquet copy" of this comic.  

Second, I'm not convinced this actually should be treated as a copy of Marvel Comics 1 (Timely 10/39).  Based on the descriptions and the appearance, it seems like this was a proof cover which was cut in half and then hand stitched to an interior of MC 1.  Which means the "cover" of this thing presumably predates the print runs for the October and November editions of Marvel Comics 1.  It's just not an example of the newsstand comic book.  It's not a Marvel Comics 1, despite what the holder implies, it's something else.

Third, what it is mystifies me.  It might be an ashcan.  But, I wonder why you'd be assembling an ashcan after they already had printed the comic (ashcans are made before you go to press, usually using interiors from other comics (DC) or quick prints of part of a comic (Fawcett)).  I don't know of any ashcans created after they had already printed the whole comic interior.  This thing was clearly assembled after the interiors had already been printed.  So this is one weird item.

Finally, I don't quite understand the holder.  Am I missing where the holder notes that it is restored?  Isn't the white on the spine some sort of leafcasting or underlay?  It's not part of the original cover proof.

Having said all that, it's a cool thing, whatever it is.  Certainly worth some bragging rights.

P.S.  What's the "Marvel Japan Collection"?  Metro's hype name for a comic collection out of Japan?  If so, what do they do when they sell the next collection out of Japan?  They got to be more creative in picking their hype names.

I don't think its leaf cast.  I think the proof was printed without a fixing agent for lack of a better term. Maybe they just used cheaper ink? The main areas where the color is missing is along the spine which is where pressure, a crease, has been applied to create a cover out of something that was never meant to be used; ink flaked off as a result. I think the process of saddle stitching the cover to the book ultimately led to the ink loss.  I'd like to see the back cover. Despite what may sound like criticism it is cool!:headbang:

I would love to own it but what is a coverless Marvel #1 going for now-a-days? Obviously, it would be worth more than that but its a good starting point.

Edited by Badger

2 minutes ago, Badger said:

I think the proof was printed without a fixing agent for lack of a better term. Maybe they just used cheaper ink? The main areas where the color is missing is along the spine which is where pressure, a crease, has been applied to create a cover out of something that was never meant to be used; ink flaked off as a result. I think the process of saddle stitching the cover to the book ultimately led to the ink loss. 

Never heard of ink "flaking off."  Not sure why it would have flaked off so extensively on the spine so much, but not near the punctures and lower right corner.  Strange, to say the least.  I'd like to see what the back cover looks like.  But, if you're right, that just further proves this thing was not part of the original print run of the October copies.  

52 minutes ago, Badger said:

I would love to own it but what is a coverless Marvel #1 going for now-a-days? Obviously, it would be worth more than that but its a good starting point.

But for the LJ association, I'd rather have the cover proof and a coverless comic as two separate items.

Edited by sfcityduck

40 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

Never heard of ink "flaking off."  Not sure why it would have flaked off so extensively on the spine so much, but not near the punctures and lower right corner.  Strange, to say the least.  I'd like to see what the back cover looks like.  But, if you're right, that just further proves this thing was not part of the original print run of the October copies.  

This is what I was thinking of but the care given to the Marvel 1 as far as environment was better over time as far as paper aging.. If the book was a reference copy and stored edge-wise, the spine would receive a lot of pressure and color loss would occur.  Combine that with cheaper ink or paper stock that did not absorb the ink and Bobs your Uncle.

image.png.92d0e9264ef52b43dd9a0dc5cfd3ceb4.png

Despite what's on the label, what is the story that definitively ties this to Lloyd Jacquet?

Curious as well as to the original purpose.  I don't think that it's an ashcan.  Maybe Lloyd had a few minutes of idle time on his hands and...

Is it correct to say that there's no back cover?

Edited by pemart1966

5 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

Despite what's on the label, what is the story that definitively ties this to Lloyd Jacquet?

Is it correct to say that there's no back cover?

Metro says: "Proof cover cut band attached to interior by Lloyd Jacquet. Interior covers are blank."

I would interpret "cut band" to imply that there's a back cover, and based on that statement I now agree with Badger that the front and back are all one piece (but with weird ink loss on spine).