• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Comics #1 Voldy slabbed copy on Metro Question
3 3

156 posts in this topic

37 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

1287F7FE-8E62-471F-8BB0-E10034DD20A0.jpeg

The CGC label says “office mock-up copy.”  IMHO that’s exactly the right way to handle these type of hand assembled items (including ashcans) - put a note.

8 minutes ago, bluechip said:

Never thought that a comic was only a comic if it was on a newsstand.  

Not saying must on newsstand to be a comic.  Just saying MC 1 normal editions were newsstand comics, and this hand assembled item is something else like a production mock-up or ashcan. It is not a copy of the normal newsstand editions of mc 1,

2 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

Aren’t there other “pay copies” for other publishers with notations?  I thought Zaid or someone else had one.

I believe there are, i was just meaning the three "Pay Copies" discovered from the Jacquet file.

8 minutes ago, Crowzilla said:

I believe there are, i was just meaning the three "Pay Copies" discovered from the Jacquet file.

I was thinking that pay copy of silver streak 1 had writing on the cover.  I thought that was LJ, but maybe no writing?

Edited by sfcityduck

30 minutes ago, bluechip said:

Nothing to disagree with here.

Never thought that a comic was only a comic if it was on a newsstand.  If so that would rule out many other books which are known or suspected never to have been on a newsstand, yet I haven't heard anyone opine that they should not be slabbed/certified or done so only with with special colors.  

Exactly. Anyone want to claim the Motion Picture Funnies books were not valid to be slabbed?  

On 5/14/2019 at 7:11 AM, Jaydogrules said:
On 5/14/2019 at 6:24 AM, Timely said:

In the case of this Marvel #1 File Copy, it is like case #2.  There was no intent to hide or cover up, it was trimmed once (by hand vs by machine), bound & put away by the publisher, never intended to be sold on the newsstand. The label clearly states what was done.

Actually, it doesn't.  Not even close. And dropping it into a "universal holder" is the final slap on the face to any potential buyer who may not be as educated or knowledgeable about vintage comics as most of the people posting here. 

Hey Jay;

Take a look at this "fraudulent" book here:

As you have correctly (or is it incorrectly lol) stated here, another perfect example of a "final slap to any potential buyer who may not be as educated or knowledgeable about vintage comics" as the board members here.  hm

And it's actually been slabbed by the host grading company here.  Go figure that!!!  (:

4 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I’m familiar with the book you cite.  I’m assuming CGC gave it a blue holder because it did not have extra non-manufacturing staples, and because it didn’t come from a bound volume.  So CGC didn’t believe it had been trimmed, either.   I’m also told the book does not contain the true contents of the newsstand copy.  

I don’t mean to substitute my thinking for CGC’s, because they haven’t shared their thoughts with me. 

I do think the unique nature of the MC 1 deserves a better fate than a PLOD, or qualified label

BRO I'M SO MAD THAT THIS FAKE BOOK IS GRADED BY THESE LOSERS I'M GONNA GO PUNCH A WALL BRO!!!1

6 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

I was thinking that pay copy of silver streak 1 had writing on the cover.  I thought that was LJ, but maybe no writing?

Yes, it was from the same find. Beautiful book, I hated to let it go (many moons ago). :)

On 5/11/2019 at 10:46 AM, Jaydogrules said:

That doesn't change the nature of the concern or the context of my point.  

And with Voldy's reputation of grading iffy books with iffy labels, the problem is only exaggerated.  

-J.

The ONLY thing that is exaggerated are all of your posts. You're usually wrong.

On 5/11/2019 at 5:08 PM, Timely said:

This is not a "fake" cover, it is a vintage cover printed in 1939. Best for you get facts before you type out your libel lies.

There, I said it. :sumo:

On 5/11/2019 at 7:33 PM, bluechip said:

I thank you for clearing it up because neither I nor anybody I know outside of the hobby would ever think the word "fake" was defined the way you described.  Ditto for "after market" btw.  If anything, a proof cover would be "prior to market."   

On 5/11/2019 at 5:49 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

Baloney, ...there, I said it!  :wink:

I don't understand why anybody would have a conversation with jaydogrules. He rolls in with his contrarian 'opinion', he disrespects some of the most knowledgeable people in the hobby, he riles everyone up and you guys fall for it time and time again.

He is generally wrong and not worth replying to unless you want a sparring match online with someone who refuses to talk logic.

On 5/9/2019 at 7:28 PM, G.A.tor said:

I’ve thought long and hard about buying it. But just haven’t been able to pull trigger 

I was in the same boat as you.

I love the book.

On 5/9/2019 at 3:29 PM, Badger said:
On 5/9/2019 at 3:18 PM, sfcityduck said:
  Isn't the white on the spine some sort of leafcasting or underlay?  It's not part of the original cover proof.

Having said all that, it's a cool thing, whatever it is.  Certainly worth some bragging rights.

I don't think its leaf cast.  I think the proof was printed without a fixing agent for lack of a better term. Maybe they just used cheaper ink? The main areas where the color is missing is along the spine which is where pressure, a crease, has been applied to create a cover out of something that was never meant to be used; ink flaked off as a result. I think the process of saddle stitching the cover to the book ultimately led to the ink loss.  I'd like to see the back cover.

The color loss is indicative that this was pulled from a bound volume, which the comic was glued into.

3 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

The color loss is indicative that this was pulled from a bound volume, which the comic was glued into.

Nice! I had not thought of that possibility. Makes sense. 

On 5/13/2019 at 5:33 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

So I'll risk being the insufficiently_thoughtful_person who asks, but what color label do books removed from bound volumes normally get?  Are they always labeled as "restored"?   It would seem like it should be that way.

They get a blue label unless something else has been done to the book.

Further question.  If Jacquet "hand cut" the cover, maybe that doesn't count as a trim job, if he was doing so at the same time he was binding it into this volume.

The problem is that we are trying to box all books into clear cut designations like 'trimmed' or 'restored' or whatever.

But there are 'one off' type books that fall between the cracks and in those cases, those books are treated by certification companies on a 'case by case' basis.

The Marvel Comics #1 CGC 9.0 Pay copy is a perfect example. How do you grade it when it has writing all over the book? They treated it as a one off because of it's special characteristics.

And so in a case where a book was assembled by a publisher - it's going to be a judgement call on how it's handled, depending on the circumstances and provenance of the book.

But if this book is truly an office copy, do we even care?  Is the historical significance of the book enough to overcome all else?

Provenance would trump everything else for me.

2 hours ago, VintageComics said:

I don't understand why anybody would have a conversation with jaydogrules.

He rolls in with his contrarian 'opinion', he disrespects some of the most knowledgeable people in the hobby, he riles everyone up and you guys fall for it time and time again.

He is generally wrong and not worth replying to unless you want a sparring match online with someone who refuses to talk logic.

But Roy, you live in Canada.  We're sorta used to it.  (shrug)