• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Comics #1 Voldy slabbed copy on Metro Question
3 3

156 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, Frank Mozz said:

Still think M #1 is undervalued in these modern trends setting days of collecting or I am just old. Either way, call it what you will but IMHO it would be a bad @ss comic to add to any serious collection.

I agree.  It’s hard to believe there’s only 61 copies on the census for such a big key.

3 hours ago, Primetime said:

Marvel 1 is a titanic book for the ages. :luhv:

When I started collecting in the early to mid 70s it was THE book I coveted.  Still do although Cap 1 has surpassed it for me.

20 hours ago, Frank Mozz said:

Still think M #1 is undervalued in these modern trends setting days of collecting or I am just old. Either way, call it what you will but IMHO it would be a bad @ss comic to add to any serious collection.

I think it might come to mean more to younger collectors than it did even to the older ones.  This is acknowledged as the very beginning of the Marvel comics/tv/film universes and the phrase itself -- Marvel Comics -- is something you can say aloud in virtually any country that speaks any language, and turn the heads of fans.  

8 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

Is 75k a reasonable price ?  What’s a 3.o blue label MC 1 go fir these days. ?

last 3.0 on GPA went $77k+ in 2016. That copy was severely off registered (Torch's face if I recall correctly). I'd say today it's maybe $90k-$100k..I think $75k is a decent price given the eye appeal and it being an OCT copy, but it being a proof cover w/blank inside covers may bother some folks at any price...

Edited by Primetime

52 minutes ago, Primetime said:

last 3.0 on GPA went $77k+ in 2016. That copy was severely off registered (Torch's face if I recall correctly). I'd say today it's maybe $90k-$100k..I think $75k is a decent price given the eye appeal and it being an OCT copy, but it being a proof cover w/blank inside covers may bother some folks at any price...

That’s my problem. It’s basically a coverless copy with a married “proof” cover but not a production cover. Ow it wouldn’t have been gone 

7 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

That’s my problem. It’s basically a coverless copy with a married “proof” cover but not a production cover. Ow it wouldn’t have been gone 

Exactly.  It is not a "3.0", "qualified", or otherwise.  

It's a coverless with a fake cover inside a worthless slab.

It might be a $10k book.

-J.

24 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

Cgc has graded jacquet mock ups (eg amf 2/3) in universal labels , FYI , so the precedent has been established 

That is odd to me. Because if I remember correctly, you even said the amf 2/3 office mock up copy was incomplete 

On 5/9/2019 at 3:18 PM, sfcityduck said:

This thing makes my head hurt.

First, the "Pay Copy" is what I think of as "the Lloyd Jacquet copy" of this comic.   

Me too, and that was the first thing I thought when I saw the name.

Really doesn't make a lot of sense that he would staple together this copy for the file after he already filed away the Pay Copy.

1 hour ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

That is odd to me. Because if I remember correctly, you even said the amf 2/3 office mock up copy was incomplete 

Correct. It wasn’t the complete interior but still graded 9.0 universal ...special jacquet consideration I suspect 

10 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Cgc has graded jacquet mock ups (eg amf 2/3) in universal labels , FYI , so the precedent has been established 

That doesn't change the nature of the concern or the context of my point.  

And with Voldy's reputation of grading iffy books with iffy labels, the problem is only exaggerated.  

-J.

3 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

That doesn't change the nature of the concern or the context of my point.  

And with Voldy's reputation of grading iffy books with iffy labels, the problem is only exaggerated.  

-J.

Both companies grade books accused of having "iffy" labels.  As I see it, an "iffy" label is just a layman's opinion that something (apparently) went awry in the grading process resulting in a clearly debatable grade or other judgment call.  In either case, it's not proof of nefarious intent nor incompetence.  I've seen examples of books with CGC labels that I consider misgraded, but it's still just my opinion.

Key questions: How do you define "iffy" books? How do you define "iffy" grading? Inquiring minds want to know!

My cleaned up family friendly advice would be for you to post specific examples demonstrating egregious misgrading, ...otherwise, remove yourself from the poceilein throne.

One more polite suggestion: If I were you I'd use the term "reputation" ...employed perjoritively... with more care.  Just sayin'.   :foryou:

Edited by Cat-Man_America