• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

American Flagg #1 cover at HA.

139 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, tth2 said:

I like how our hobby has been transformed from taking the proceeds of a sale to buy a (used) car to buying a house!

I remember in college in the mid-80s, one of my roommates sold a Hulk #1 (in Fair condition) and it was only enough for him to pay his share of the month's rent.

Well to be honest it was just a down payment.  

55 minutes ago, buttock said:
5 hours ago, tth2 said:

I like how our hobby has been transformed from taking the proceeds of a sale to buy a (used) car to buying a house!

I remember in college in the mid-80s, one of my roommates sold a Hulk #1 (in Fair condition) and it was only enough for him to pay his share of the month's rent.

Well to be honest it was just a down payment.  

But there are individual pieces or books that are worth the price of a house and some collections that could translate into a mansion.

11 minutes ago, tth2 said:

But there are individual pieces or books that are worth the price of a house and some collections that could translate into a mansion.

If by mansion you mean single wide trailer then count me in that group :banana:

18 hours ago, Bronty said:

I suspect your macro counterpoint would be that this is a digital generation etc etc as you've mentioned in the past and there may be truth to that.    However, I think the drive to collect, for at least a portion of the population is as intrinsic as the squirrel's drive to collect nuts for winter.   I don't think you can ipad that out of certain people.    Now, what they will collect...... a whole other ball of wax.

Kind of unrelated, but I was listening to a report yesterday that Urban Outfitters is going to begin renting clothes. Yes, you read that correctly.
Obviously if we are talking fashion, it's so very temporary and the turnover in styles is great. But at the core of what they were discussing in this program was that they are looking at a generation for whom owning things is so very low priority. That experiences is where they prefer to put their money, and so things like travel, and dining and events are important. Having their own clothes is not a big deal. So having every color variant of a whatsit is much farther down the list, on the whole. Are there some folks for whom the collecting bug is a thing? Sure. But how big will that segment be?

3 minutes ago, ESeffinga said:

Kind of unrelated, but I was listening to a report yesterday that Urban Outfitters is going to begin renting clothes. Yes, you read that correctly.
Obviously if we are talking fashion, it's so very temporary and the turnover in styles is great. But at the core of what they were discussing in this program was that they are looking at a generation for whom owning things is so very low priority. That experiences is where they prefer to put their money, and so things like travel, and dining and events are important. Having their own clothes is not a big deal. So having every color variant of a whatsit is much farther down the list, on the whole. Are there some folks for whom the collecting bug is a thing? Sure. But how big will that segment be?

I hear similar things and know a lot of the younger generation who have this mindset. It has been interesting watching as they transition from just out of college and single to serious relationships to married and see how they become more traditional. 

6 minutes ago, ESeffinga said:

Are there some folks for whom the collecting bug is a thing? Sure. But how big will that segment be?

Oh. Man. We are definitely going to find out.

Let's remember this 20-30 group is the one that was oldest enough 10-15 years ago to understand how badly their parents effed up pre-housing collapse. They are all about in-the-moment experience, imo, and not "obligations" (that can bite you hard in the a-ess-ess for thirty years straight!) That would be the complete opposite of those same parents that teenaged in the go-go 1980s where "greed is good", followed by the Greenspan/Clinton 1990s where -simply- the stock market never, ever goes down. That's your two ends of the pendulum of 'personal experience informs lifestyle' right there.

The next group..? It will be interesting which direction they 'lean' more towards, excess w/commitment or it's now or never. Polls seem to indicate that they are going to be more consumers/collectors, more like X than millennial.

2 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

watching as they transition from just out of college and single to serious relationships to married and see how they become more traditional. 

The handful I know and am 'watching' have...100%...gotten Master's of [insert garbage advanced degree that reinforces throw-your-money-away undergrad degree] and are buried in debt, live at home, and have no intention of marrying unless he/she is completely and totally perfect (uh huh). Not a surprise that nobody is finding that in their own peer group...but they all love George Clooney lol

This is 25-32 year olds. Older shakes their head in dismay (at those younger) and much younger...I don't know any personally.

40 minutes ago, vodou said:

The handful I know and am 'watching' have...100%...gotten Master's of [insert garbage advanced degree that reinforces throw-your-money-away undergrad degree] and are buried in debt, live at home, and have no intention of marrying unless he/she is completely and totally perfect (uh huh). Not a surprise that nobody is finding that in their own peer group...but they all love George Clooney lol

This is 25-32 year olds. Older shakes their head in dismay (at those younger) and much younger...I don't know any personally.

Funny you mention the degree stuff. We have a college rental and the current tenants are moving out since they just graduated. Cost to parents is about $200k total for the four years of school. It was rented by 3 girls. One I don’t know what she is doing but the other two plans are:

girl 1 travel to India for one year studying yoga. She just felt a need to going back after a prior trip to become more spiritual. When she comes back she will attend an herbalist school in Colorado

girl 2 is going to work on a coop farm in  Canada. She will get room and board but hopes to also get paid some money. 

4 hours ago, batman_fan said:

Funny you mention the degree stuff. We have a college rental and the current tenants are moving out since they just graduated. Cost to parents is about $200k total for the four years of school. It was rented by 3 girls. One I don’t know what she is doing but the other two plans are:

girl 1 travel to India for one year studying yoga. She just felt a need to going back after a prior trip to become more spiritual. When she comes back she will attend an herbalist school in Colorado

girl 2 is going to work on a coop farm in  Canada. She will get room and board but hopes to also get paid some money. 

These girls are definitely not positioned to join the next generation of dedicated collectors hoarders.

Unless they stand to gain an exceptional inheritance.

15 minutes ago, vodou said:

These girls are definitely not positioned to join the next generation of dedicated collectors hoarders.

Unless they stand to gain an exceptional inheritance.

They are quite nice but I think they have always lived off their parents and plan to largely continue for the foreseeable future. I guess if your parents are willing to do it, enjoy?  I know my generation was pushed out of the nest after high school unless you went to college in which case you might get a pass till you finished your undergrad degree. 

1 minute ago, batman_fan said:

They are quite nice but I think they have always lived off their parents and plan to largely continue for the foreseeable future. I guess if your parents are willing to do it, enjoy?  I know my generation was pushed out of the nest after high school unless you went to college in which case you might get a pass till you finished your undergrad degree. 

A few of us having been talking pendlum swings of late, this is another one...humongo houses for when families used to be two parents and 6-10 kids. And maybe one or two grandparents in there too. Then families got smaller, and wealthier, and everybody had their own littler house. So the humongo got partitioned into multi-family rentals. Pendulum swinging back as everybody is living under the same roof longer, maybe forever again!

On 5/21/2019 at 4:31 PM, Bronty said:

Okay.   But to the extent that's true, Hollywood will not limit itself to comic material.    It will use anything and everything it can to make a buck.    It may be that the best movie related spec of the future will relate to something other than comics.    Anything you can think of with a large built in audience will be grist for the mill.    Comics do make for a nice transition since the comic almost acts as a storyboard, but ultimately, its anything and everything with audience.

They keep trying it by adapting video games. Eventually it will pay off. 

19 hours ago, malvin said:

Yes, but with so many potential comic TV and movies coming down the pipe, even if you believe that OA will get a bump when that happens (and I think most people will agree that it won't happen with all comic properties, only a select few) if there are so many comic TV and movies, the impact to OA pricing will be minimal (or none) 

Regards,

Malvin

It’s not “will be,” it “is.” 

13 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

They keep trying it by adapting video games. Eventually it will pay off. 

Yeah.   Detective Pikachu is a step in that direction, but that will happen for real in 2022 when the Super Mario Bros movie comes out.    The Illumination people are handing it so if I was betting on something to be a slam dunk, that would be it.    From there I imagine we will get a good 10-20 years of nintendo related movies, sequels, and spin offs.    Mario, Link/Zelda, Metroid, Kirby, sequels to all of them, blah blah blah.    There's a whole universe of characters there, not dissimilar to marvel, and they've been around so long in so many games that there is a pretty decent amount of plot lines to work with, and obvious villains like Wario and Bowser and Mother Brain to work with too.    That isn't always the case for something like Angry Birds (how they made an enjoyable movie out of that!... kudos to them!).   The potential is there for that to turn into something that mimics the experience that marvel has had at the movies.

Edited by Bronty