• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

i give up
1 1

105 posts in this topic

So I guess I threw a rock into the hornet's nest by proposing an idea for the dilemma of getting a book reholdered and the grade potentially going down.  So I vented.   Let's move on.  Original post can be viewed in the first response.

Edited by BladeTX
Original post withdrawn - see 1st comment

21 minutes ago, BladeTX said:

Been kicking this around today.  Got a friend with an expensive 9.9 and an AF15 in mid-grade.  He would like to reholder both and get Custom labels, which are available for both books. And I am sure CGC would be glad to take his money.  But he is not willing to risk a downgrade as they make it clear they do not guarantee the grade.  It might be slim but not worth an $8K+ hit.

But what if they could?  CGC could charge a $20-$30 Inspection Fee.  They would carefully look at the book through the holder.  Any issues about grade, they return in the original holder.   I have never seen SCS but hear it is bad do CGC would see that and DQ the reholder.

So it is the buyer’s choice.  Skip inspection and risk the downgrade.  Or pay it and have piece of mind.

What do ya’ll think?  Is this worth running past CGC?

So they see that the book has suffered damage that lowers the grade and send it back out into the world as a representation of their grading? You didn't think this through very carefully, did you?

1 hour ago, Lazyboy said:

So they see that the book has suffered damage that lowers the grade and send it back out into the world as a representation of their grading? You didn't think this through very carefully, did you?

Honestly, they take no accountability for their grading and obviously not storage conditions, having an older book display something that would lower the grade is not a representation of “their work”.  Unless that book was graded very, very recently.   Are you saying all the books sold at auction on CC and CL are accurate for the assigned grade.  How would you know?   Aren’t these all Internet auctions?   At least all the major coin auctions are live and you can inspect any coin before bidding.  I’m sure really high value comics must be auctioned live - who is going to drop $1 million based on online photos????

1 minute ago, BladeTX said:

Honestly, they take no accountability for their grading and obviously not storage conditions, having an older book display something that would lower the grade is not a representation of “their work”.  Unless that book was graded very, very recently.   Are you saying all the books sold at auction on CC and CL are accurate for the assigned grade.  How would you know?   Aren’t these all Internet auctions?   At least all the major coin auctions are live and you can inspect any coin before bidding.  I’m sure really high value comics must be auctioned live - who is going to drop $1 million based on online photos????

They can't do anything about the books that aren't in their possession, but nobody who cares about their reputation is going to intentionally allow a defective product that they have in hand to go out as is.

You are comparing apples to steaks.  Coins and Comics are completely different construction and thus cannot be on the same playing field when it comes to grading and encapsulating.   From what I said in the other post of yours, CGC has to contend the with unknown, the what ifs and the wonders of what happened.  That being said it is impossible for them to guarantee, at least the way you want them to, when there is so many factors that can have an effect on the book after it has left CGC's possession.

3 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

They can't do anything about the books that aren't in their possession, but nobody who cares about their reputation is going to intentionally allow a defective product that they have in hand to go out as is.

I’ll buy that for people with high integrity. As painful as it would be to say “I paid $80K for this in CGC 9.8 WP but it has suffered some environmental damage and is now a 9.4-9.6 and I’ll sell it to you for $40K.”.   Really?

i guess your point is that if one person was knowingly selling lower grade books, they would get flamed here, but unfortunately some buyers would never know.

3 minutes ago, Crops068 said:

You are comparing apples to steaks.  Coins and Comics are completely different construction and thus cannot be on the same playing field when it comes to grading and encapsulating.   From what I said in the other post of yours, CGC has to contend the with unknown, the what ifs and the wonders of what happened.  That being said it is impossible for them to guarantee, at least the way you want them to, when there is so many factors that can have an effect on the book after it has left CGC's possession.

I guess it comes down to personal ownership and if you feel that you've "taken care" of said slab...

I wonder if cgc would inspect for damage and give it back to you of they'd feel it would go down in grade, is there a "prescreen" for a reholder?

Might be something to consider @BladeTX

7 minutes ago, Crops068 said:

fair enough

I know pressors due prescreens kinda for pressing services...

If you feel that uneasy, get someone who has seen their fair share in grade to estimate...the reholder :foryou:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I guess it comes down to personal ownership and if you feel that you've "taken care" of said slab...

I wonder if cgc would inspect for damage and give it back to you of they'd feel it would go down in grade, is there a "prescreen" for a reholder?

Essentially a Reholder Prescreen?  That would work just take away the book number requirement.

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

That was EXACTLY my original post (you can still see it in the first reply).  And I got flamed.   So I gave up.  :S

10 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I know pressors due prescreens kinda for pressing services...

If you feel that uneasy, get someone who has seen their fair share in grade to estimate...the reholder :foryou:

I bet people would pay for that to lower the risk. Could be a consulting service an ex-CGC grader offers on the side. Again, no guarantees but better than winging it.

Edited by BladeTX

6 minutes ago, BladeTX said:

That was EXACTLY my original post (you can still see it in the first reply).  And I got flamed.   So I gave up.  :S

I think when cgc says they inspect the damage to the case and to see if it damaged the book..

It's nothing more that "is it obvious"...

If it's one spot on the edge of the slab away from the book...

I mean their not "looking to get you or out to get you"...

I know that's an extreme and your not saying that, but to those who seem to have no problem with reholder's  might see this as being some what of a "worry wart"

It's true that it's something to consider but not too many have been this concerned... it would seem

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

4 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I think when cgc says they inspect the damage to the case and to see if it damaged the book..

It's nothing more that "is it obvious"...

If it's one spot on the edge of the slab away from the book...

I mean their not "looking to get you or out to get you"...

I know that's an extreme and your not saying that, but to those who seem to have no problem with reholder's  might see this as being some what of a "worry wart"

It's true that it's something to consider but not too many have been this concerned... it would seem

I’m not either.  I have $8.5K in 10 books that are in for reholder and just SFG today.  But those are 9.8s.  When you are dealing with a difference of $12K for a 9.9 and $2K for a 9.8, then I can see getting worried.  Disclaimer: I have no 9.9s myself and don’t intend to collect any unless CGC gifts me one.