• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

i give up
1 1

105 posts in this topic

I mean it's a "clean break" in the slab, I'm not worried about Change in grade, but it IS only an 8.0 and not not worth more than my house or car :foryou:

I get where your coming from, that the slab is not indestructible, and therefore a reholder is needed sometimes... but it "should be ok?"

7 minutes ago, BladeTX said:

Damn, how did that happen?

Well I'm not sure...

But what I can surmise is a funny story imo lol

Someone brought In slabs to half price books, based on what happened to me at check out of 3 slabs including this one of $10-15 A piece...

That they were brought in to be sold to HPB, and HPB did it not know why they "were in a case like baseball cards".

HPB probably thought they needed to "be taken out of the 'case holder' to inspect for 'condition' for resale"

BwahHahaha!

The guy at check out was even trying to remove it from the "case" to ring it up at the register :roflmao:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

32 minutes ago, Red_Hood said:

don't give up !

Thanks for the encouragement but I don’t appreciate getting flamed by 2 people immediately after posting a new idea that could work. 

The idea cannot work because, as stated earlier, if cgc decides the grade would drop they would not want to send that book out in a slab that overstates the grade of the book. That would hurt their business. If they deem that a book in a slab is now a lower grade they want to address that.

8 minutes ago, Bird said:

The idea cannot work because, as stated earlier, if cgc decides the grade would drop they would not want to send that book out in a slab that overstates the grade of the book. That would hurt their business. If they deem that a book in a slab is now a lower grade they want to address that.

I can totally understand that, however, if there is nothing wrong with the slab itself, why would it not have received the 'correct' grade the first time by the same company it's sent back to?   This is where I see the problem - it's scary to think that just sending in a book for a reholder for a now superior  and more attractive case you run the risk of losing value on your investment.  It's like saying, 'we thought this was a 4.5 but now it's a 4 so we're going to knock it down to it's now CORRECT grade.'  How does that instill confidence in anyone...especially for the high value books? 

I agree with Tom in that we should have some sort of security when sending in a reholder with the caveat of 'if WE - CGC - are found at fault for mis-grading this the first time we will honor the FMV of the grade drop - however, if we are NOT found at fault the book will just be re-graded at the risk of the buyer.'

As it stands now there's no incentive for anyone to send in a reholder unless they want to run the risk of a loss of investment. I would love to get some of my books re-holdered but would not dare do so for the risk of the current situation.

Like Tom said, if CGC would just amend it's consideration on the stance even slightly it could stand to make tons of $ in re-holder fees (but that's just speculation as I'd be sending in many more books for re-holdering if I had some peace of mind).

1 hour ago, BladeTX said:

Thanks for the encouragement but I don’t appreciate getting flamed by 2 people immediately after posting a new idea that could work. 

Tom, one thing you'll learn fast on these boards is that there are many keyboard warriors who like to fan the flames no matter what good intentions a thread has so don't worry about it...just shake it off like Taylor Swift says (thumbsu

Plus it's Friday and now all bets are off as to what direction any thread will take xD

Shaken comic syndrome. There are also copies out there, one was discussed on the boards recently, where the inner well created a round indentation on the back of the comic. Bad storage might change the grade. etc etc etc

24 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

Don’t pay a $40,000 premium for a fraction of a grade higher if simply breathing too close to the comic could bump it down to that lower grade

I agree, but Tom's not talking about the CPR treatment but just getting books re-holdered to the new, more aesthetically pleasing holders.  I also think that we should assume the risk ourselves if we send in anything for pressing and then re-grading.

27 minutes ago, Bird said:

Shaken comic syndrome. There are also copies out there, one was discussed on the boards recently, where the inner well created a round indentation on the back of the comic. Bad storage might change the grade. etc etc etc

SCS is awful and I wish there were a way to keep it from happening...I've received books straight from CGC with it, though, so how do you combat the problem?  Is there a redesign that could prevent it altogether?

1 hour ago, TwoPiece said:

Is this the equivalent to a girl saying she's ugly as to fish for compliments?

Are you asking us to convince you to stay in the hobby?

If so... Bye!

WTF - No.  You don't understand my motivation, which is to find ways to improve CGC for the benefit of all collectors.

Edited by BladeTX

1 hour ago, Bird said:

Can you please provide a link?  Just yesterday I put up a post asking to see examples of SCS, so many people talk about it but I have never seen it.  I would expect on these boards, with some people having 1,000+ CGC graded books, there would be over 100 pictures of SCS If it is such a big deal.    Do you have books that have suffered SCS and can you post pictures to the original thread?

Thanks.

OK, here is another one that should drive some discussion.   Even though CGC says books should last forever in their holders, I have seen MANY people who have been on here for a long time say they intend to get their books reholdered every 10 years or so.   So inevitably, all these people will face this risk.   They will be sending in Action Comics #1 in 8.5 and other $100K++ books for reholders… and then when the grade slips,  what then?

Edited by BladeTX
Typo

While CGC retains the right to regrade on a reholder it is very rare and only in cases where the damage to the slab would seem to have caused damage to the comic.  It's not like they are regrading each reholder send in.  You're making a mountain out of a molehill.

14 minutes ago, thunsicker said:

You're making a mountain out of a molehill.

I disagree vehemently with this part of your statement.  Just knowing that 'it probably won't happen' doesn't mean it couldn't and for a high value re-holder - hypothetically - in the rare event a re-grade could happen, it could be financially disastrous for a collector and there is absolutely nothing that they could do about it.

Alternatively, offering some assurance before the fact from CGC to the potential submitters could be a very lucrative endeavor.  A simple policy change would remedy the situation.

Tom's addressing of this issue is one I've wondered myself for quite some time and the exact reason why I won't send in certain books for re-holders (even though I'd really like to as the new holders and custom labels are very cool). :sorry: