• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

i give up
1 1

105 posts in this topic

I used to be frustrated with CGC's grading system on my first year but not anymore -- I have learned better and know which books will be sent or not --- that is my management , responsibility and I use my wisdom. i did look at alternative services but I realized CGC is STILL my best choice for my collection and selling. Sometimes, the cases were damaged. They fixed. The problems are beside. I keep sending a small group of the comic books to minimize the damage.  Just be patient and bear with CGC.

You know what I am scared the most?  USPS, UPS, FedEx and other parcel companies can destroy the comic books even the package is a bombproof.  At one point, my comic books were missing for three weeks and the tracking number never showed online, USPS couldn't locate it until I found my books on eBay.  (it took me three weeks to get my books back. I lost only one book so I used it as the loss on my tax return). Thanks God, all cases were never crack opened. Those certification numbers were there so I proved the seller that I am the owner. All information led to US Postmaster arrested four Postal workers for grand larceny. Thanks to CGC for securing my expensive books. Those parcel employees always drop, throw, stack and stow it in any directions.  I always worry the safety of my books through them.

CGC did a great job in care of the books in those years plus all new employees are trained until they are ready to handle the rare, fragile, aging and expensive books. Yes, they may mess them up but not that in case - it's rarity. Alas, CGC will contact me immediately if the package is damaged from the parcel service.

CGC is still concerning about us.  They always find plenty of rooms to improve their service. Once again, just be patient and bear with CGC.

Edited by JollyComics

1 hour ago, JollyComics said:

I used to be frustrated with CGC's grading system on my first year but not anymore -- I have learned better and know which books will be sent or not --- that is my management , responsibility and I use my wisdom. i did look at alternative services but I realized CGC is STILL my best choice for my collection and selling. Sometimes, the cases were damaged. They fixed. The problems are beside. I keep sending a small group of the comic books to minimize the damage.  Just be patient and bear with CGC.

You know what I am scared the most?  USPS, UPS, FedEx and other parcel companies can destroy the comic books even the package is a bombproof.  At one point, my comic books were missing for three weeks and the tracking number never showed online, USPS couldn't locate it until I found my books on eBay.  (it took me three weeks to get my books back. I lost only one book so I used it as the loss on my tax return). Thanks God, all cases were never crack opened. Those certification numbers were there so I proved the seller that I am the owner. All information led to US Postmaster arrested four Postal workers for grand larceny. Thanks to CGC for securing my expensive books. Those parcel employees always drop, throw, stack and stow it in any directions.  I always worry the safety of my books through them.

CGC did a great job in care of the books in those years plus all new employees are trained until they are ready to handle the rare, fragile, aging and expensive books. Yes, they may mess them up but not that in case - it's rarity. Alas, CGC will contact me immediately if the package is damaged from the parcel service.

CGC is still concerning about us.  They always find plenty of rooms to improve their service. Once again, just be patient and bear with CGC.

Oh, please don’t miss my intent.  I’ve been overall happy with CGC, though I have only bought already holdered books.   On my 3rd reholdering now.   This thread was never to rail on CGC, just discuss ideas on pre-screening reholders.

As far as shipping, yeah that is scary.  Registered mail seems safest. I got a book shipped from a friend and both sides of the flat rate box were caved in like a giant claw had grabbed it.  Thank God he is OCD with packing and it was not damaged.

That same day, my friend got this book in the picture.  This is what it looked like before opening  He was freaking out, it is the only single highest graded one for this issue.  He made the USPS open it there to ensure no damage and somehow, miraculously, it was fine, including the case.

3013F640-673A-41E1-AE60-8B45539CC15F.jpeg

8 hours ago, BladeTX said:

Oh, please don’t miss my intent.  I’ve been overall happy with CGC, though I have only bought already holdered books.   On my 3rd reholdering now.   This thread was never to rail on CGC, just discuss ideas on pre-screening reholders.

As far as shipping, yeah that is scary.  Registered mail seems safest. I got a book shipped from a friend and both sides of the flat rate box were caved in like a giant claw had grabbed it.  Thank God he is OCD with packing and it was not damaged.

That same day, my friend got this book in the picture.  This is what it looked like before opening  He was freaking out, it is the only single highest graded one for this issue.  He made the USPS open it there to ensure no damage and somehow, miraculously, it was fine, including the case.

3013F640-673A-41E1-AE60-8B45539CC15F.jpeg

That is good to hear that you are still happy with CGC overall.  Your title said "I give up" got my attention so I came to help. Our community helps too.

That is not a pretty sight.  I have seen worsts.

I rarely use Priority Mail boxes due to the thin cardboard (Sometimes I saved the large and medium boxes so the medium is fit inside the large box that become the double walls inside). I often have used Uline and other products that have sturdy walls so far nothing was incidental.  Creating the invoices, I have optioned on FedEx for shipping my books to my home address so far no problem has occurred. USPS and UPS have the highest volumes on Mondays to Wednesdays that would crush or tear any packages in all sizes. I have shipped on Wednesdays while the volume goes down that was what I have seen at UPS where I work for ten years and have learned from my friends who work at USPS.

Hopefully my insight is helpful.

On 5/10/2019 at 1:12 PM, BladeTX said:

Hi there, but having spent 7 years as a highly intensive coin collector, you are completely wrong.   There are equally as many variables that go into coin grading as comics.  Just a few of the hundreds of intangibles:  what is the surface like - reflective or lustry?; Is there toning (rainbow is the most prized) and how does that affect (or detract from) the overall appearance.  If there are marks, where are they?  A ding in the key central area versus 4 very light scratches in the field?  Then there are points from 0 (poor) to 70 (perfect Mint) that must be considered.  And it is still an OPINION.  

There just happens to be companies (PCGS and CGC's sister company NGC) that will stand behind that grade - because they grade conservatively but challenging that guarantee requires that the grading company agree with you.  And it is at their discretion.  And similar to comics, grading standards shift over time.  Getting a 20 year old graded coin in the 1st gen holder often can be worth more because they were hyper conservative when they launched.  Comparing to comics, it is like an older "8.0" is a better book than a current "8.0".  

In fact, given the range of coin sizes, materials, wear characteristics, toning, different surfaces, and the ever-present grade-influencing "eye appeal", I can make a good argument that coin grading is more difficult.   And in no cases for any amount of money could some device consider all necessary aspects to adequately grade coins.   Let's close the case on this one.

You mean you've spent a whole seven years being a coin collector?

Gentlemen I relinquish to a master collector here, forgive us. (worship)

On 5/10/2019 at 1:32 PM, Bird said:

All opinions are only good at the time they are given. Your doctor, your lawyer, your fashion influencer...any opinion is only good at the time it is rendered. Time and other factors will impact all decisions.

This may be true as it's stating the obvious but we are paying for a professional opinion for our books to be graded so what's the point of all this if it doesn't matter in the long run? So should these opinions come with an expiration date and these certified grades not matter based on this line of thinking? (shrug)

Op I've read this thread and can see where your coming from. Sounds like you have a friend that has a couple of high end books that they want in the new holders with new labels. An AF15 and I don't know if you said it or not but I would assume the other is a walking dead 1 9.9. Here is the deal paper products are not as resilient as metal products comics vs coins. CGC does certify a comic to be real and restored or unrestored  and they will make a owner right if they miss this although they don't advertise they will pay if they make a mistake. What I think you or your friend are looking for is a guarantee that your re-holder will just happen and even if that 9.9 book is no longer a 9.9 it will still be slabbed a such and if not you will be reimbursed for the difference in price. I for one don't see this ever happening ever. CGC grades a book and there are things that can change the grade of that book that CGC doesn't control.

Owner could put it in a fireproof safe and the staples could rust
Owner could display the book in a brightly sunlight room for an extended amount of time.
Owner could drop the book from a height that is enough to bend the cover paper without cracking the slab (also kind of falls into SCS)
Owners house could flood and book could be submerged in water  

All of these things are out of CGC's control. They can not predict how people will treat the books so I would never expect them to cover any type of fee if a books goes down in grade for a re-holder

1 hour ago, JollyComics said:

That is good to hear that you are still happy with CGC overall.  Your title said "I give up" got my attention so I came to help. Our community helps too.

That is not a pretty sight.  I have seen worsts.

I rarely use Priority Mail boxes due to the thin cardboard (Sometimes I saved the large and medium boxes so the medium is fit inside the large box that become the double walls inside). I often have used Uline and other products that have sturdy walls so far nothing was incidental.  Creating the invoices, I have optioned on FedEx for shipping my books to my home address so far no problem has occurred. USPS and UPS have the highest volumes on Mondays to Wednesdays that would crush or tear any packages in all sizes. I have shipped on Wednesdays while the volume goes down that was what I have seen at UPS where I work for ten years and have learned from my friends who work at USPS.

Hopefully my insight is helpful.

Thank you for your positive support, mature comments and valuable insight.  I just sent a graded book out in a medium flat rate box and triple walled it with cardboard then bubble wrap onto the book then another layer of cardboard outside the book.  That would seem pretty good. Unfortunately this seems to be the standard shipping method for CGC slabs.   I agree it’s not as good as MyComicsShop.com who uses custom cardboard holders then packs them in an oversized very thick boxes with styrofoam peanuts.   Awesome you work at UPS - great inside info.

The title of this thread was edited to “I give up” after my original idea was flamed by the first 2 respondents.  You can read it in the first reply.   All I was doing was trying to get a discussion going on reholderiing and it created a lot of tense discussion.  I had to report 2 people for vulgar insults as violations of CGC Board polices.  

Appreciate you contributing!

1 hour ago, oakman29 said:

You mean you've spent a whole seven years being a coin collector?

Gentlemen I relinquish to a master collector here, forgive us. (worship)

Actually I spent 6 years collecting when I was young before coins were graded and sealed in holders.  I then re-entered the hobby as an adult with a lot of discretionary money to spend.  I was active all 7 years on the PCGS boards.  And I submitted over 100 coins for grading and only 1 time got a lower grade than expected.  Early on, I became personal friends with a local but high end dealer who connected me to the entire nation’s dealer network and I got to know many quite well.  I flew multiple times to major coin shows where coins were selling for up to $5 million.  And stayed in one collecting area all 7 years and was known on the chat boards as one of the most experienced experts in that area.  I have remained friends with that dealer to today.

I was not just some casual collector at home buying coins off eBay.  In fact, true collectors never use eBay, it’s where all the low-end goes.

So yeah, with 13 total years of collecting  and 7 as an adult building a 6 figure collection, I do feel qualified to represent the hobby.

Satisfied?

8 minutes ago, BladeTX said:

Actually I spent 6 years collecting when I was young before coins were graded and sealed in holders.  I then re-entered the hobby as an adult with a lot of discretionary money to spend.  I was active all 7 years on the PCGS boards.  And I submitted over 100 coins for grading and only 1 time got a lower grade than expected.  Early on, I became personal friends with a local but high end dealer who connected me to the entire nation’s dealer network and I got to know many quite well.  I flew multiple times to major coin shows where coins were selling for up to $5 million.  And stayed in one collecting area all 7 years and was known on the chat boards as one of the most experienced experts in that area.  I have remained friends with that dealer to today.

I was not just some casual collector at home buying coins off eBay.  In fact, true collectors never use eBay, it’s where all the low-end goes.

So yeah, with 13 total years of collecting  and 7 as an adult building a 6 figure collection, I do feel qualified to represent the hobby.

Satisfied?

No!

25 minutes ago, JWKyle said:

Op I've read this thread and can see where your coming from. Sounds like you have a friend that has a couple of high end books that they want in the new holders with new labels. An AF15 and I don't know if you said it or not but I would assume the other is a walking dead 1 9.9. Here is the deal paper products are not as resilient as metal products comics vs coins. CGC does certify a comic to be real and restored or unrestored  and they will make a owner right if they miss this although they don't advertise they will pay if they make a mistake. What I think you or your friend are looking for is a guarantee that your re-holder will just happen and even if that 9.9 book is no longer a 9.9 it will still be slabbed a such and if not you will be reimbursed for the difference in price. I for one don't see this ever happening ever. CGC grades a book and there are things that can change the grade of that book that CGC doesn't control.

Owner could put it in a fireproof safe and the staples could rust
Owner could display the book in a brightly sunlight room for an extended amount of time.
Owner could drop the book from a height that is enough to bend the cover paper without cracking the slab (also kind of falls into SCS)
Owners house could flood and book could be submerged in water  

All of these things are out of CGC's control. They can not predict how people will treat the books so I would never expect them to cover any type of fee if a books goes down in grade for a re-holder

Excellent thoughtful response.  Thank you. I wish there were more people on here like you.

Come talk to me when you've built a 6 figure comic book collection for 40+ years. The coin thing doesn't impress me at all, except for maybe Confederate paper, and B.C. coins.

6 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

No!

Well how about this. I am in Texas and got to know Jim Halperin in Dallas, been to his offices and was able to e-mail him questions.   Have you heard of Heritage Auctions?  Yeah, he started the company and I knew him when they only auctioned coins.  Now they are huge.  Jim wrote a book called “How to Grade US Coins” that is the main standard still used by PCGS and NGC.

So I don’t really care what you think.

3 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

Come talk to me when you've built a 6 figure comic book collection for 40+ years. The coin thing doesn't impress me at all, except for maybe Confederate paper, and B.C. coins.

You are not getting the point.  I am not talking about my comic experience.  I am new to the hobby.  But I was an expert in my area of coins.  I’m not trying to impress you.  I’m done discussing it.

2 minutes ago, BladeTX said:

Well how about this. I am in Texas and got to know Jim Halperin in Dallas, been to his offices and was able to e-mail him questions.   Have you heard of Heritage Auctions?  Yeah, he started the company and I knew him when they only auctioned coins.  Now they are huge.  Jim wrote a book called “How to Grade US Coins” that is the main standard still used by PCGS and NGC.

So I don’t really care what you think.

It's all good brother. If this was a coin board I might be extremely amazed at your coin prowess,  here not so much.

I've had one of those blue folder thingees filled with wheat pennies from a consecutive bunch of years. I think there was a steel penny in there. I dunno. It's was a  different color.  Jim Halperin wrote an article about my Wheat Penny Blue Folder Thingee. It It was that good. I had a quarter blue folder thingee once too but I pulled the quarters out one day to buy cigarettes. 

EDIT: Just kidding about Mr. Halperin writing an article about my wheat penny collection although I did go on several dates with Belinda Carlisle's sister. 

Edited by NoMan

1 hour ago, NoMan said:

I've had one of those blue folder thingees filled with wheat pennies from a consecutive bunch of years. I think there was a steel penny in there. I dunno. It's was a  different color.  Jim Halperin wrote an article about my Wheat Penny Blue Folder Thingee. It It was that good. I had a quarter blue folder thingee once too but I pulled the quarters out one day to buy cigarettes. 

EDIT: Just kidding about Mr. Halperin writing an article about my wheat penny collection although I did go on several dates with Belinda Carlisle's sister. 

I’m not going to turn this into a coin thread, you are most likely JK but if you want any advice PM me.

2 hours ago, BladeTX said:

Satisfied?

C05C8042-489F-4C9A-944A-CCFEEFC4D231.gif