• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC membership “benefits”
2 2

50 posts in this topic

On 5/11/2019 at 1:33 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

I remember when you had to call CGC directly to inquire about notes. They would also tell you how each of 3 graders assigned their grades. Scenarios like 9.0,9.0,9.2 . Found out the FInal grader outruled the other graders. I once had a book assigned a 9.8 by 3 grader's that was overruled to a 9.0 ! I think Haspel found something that they missed. IMO, Haspel was the best grader, really sharp. When he left and Litch took over, I sensed the grades were too lenient. Does Haspel still come in to grade on a part time basis ?

How often did something like that happen with the final grader override with such a discrepancy? Assuming you made calls on most of your submissions. That's really interesting. CGC's grading process description on their website doesn't really get that specific. It does say..."if all grades are in agreement or are very close, the book will be assigned a final grade. If there is disagreement among the graders, there will be a discussion with other graders until a final determination is made." 

11 hours ago, dfx1 said:

How often did something like that happen with the final grader override with such a discrepancy? Assuming you made calls on most of your submissions. That's really interesting. CGC's grading process description on their website doesn't really get that specific. It does say..."if all grades are in agreement or are very close, the book will be assigned a final grade. If there is disagreement among the graders, there will be a discussion with other graders until a final determination is made." 

I really didn't call often, only when something was unexplanable to me. There's no way of answering your question on how often these final grades are overriden. We are not privy to the daily details. 

Here's a "benefit" question... My Premium membership is up in July... When I renew will I get the same $150. credit that I was given when I originally signed up?

On 5/10/2019 at 10:56 AM, adampasz said:

In defense of the Original Poster, CGC's tiers and membership benefits are presented in a pretty confusing way on their site. Specifically, it is not clear that Grading Notes are only for your submissions, unless you roll over the tooltip.

It took me a while to figure out some of the membership "benefits", like the grading credit, and the pre-screen process.

After getting the June 30 email, I am considering the "SAVE on your CGC Submissions when you Upgrade to a Premium or Elite Membership" for $150. However, its not clear to me what I would save on. hm

Say I send in  6 silver age and 6 moderns. Would I come out ahead besides the free graders notes on my submissions? I assume Grader's notes cost $5 even after paying for the submission? Has anyone else upgraded their membership?  I haven't submitted in a while  

Edited by silverweb

I believe I found the answer to one of my questions. It seems Graders notes for comics that you submit are free anyway. Otherwise, $5 to $10

https://www.cgccomics.com/comic-grading/cgc-grader-notes/

Grader Notes Fee

CGC Grader Notes are available online at CGCcomics.com. The fee for CGC Grader Notes varies based on the tier the comic book or magazine was submitted under.

Grader Notes for collectibles that you submit are free (if available)! Free Grader Notes are available for most submissions from May 2012 to date, and earlier Grader Notes are available for a fee in the Verify CGC Certification tool.

To see if any collectibles in your submissions have Grader Notes, log in and click "My Submissions". Then click "View Status".

Comics Submitted Under (Tier) Dealer & Elite Fee Regular Fee
Economy, Value and Modern $4 $5
Standard and Express $8 $10
Walkthrough $12 $15

4 minutes ago, silverweb said:

After getting the June 30 email, I am considering the "SAVE on your CGC Submissions when you Upgrade to a Premium or Elite Membership" for $150. However, its not clear to me what I would save on. hm

Say I send in  6 silver age and 6 moderns. Would I come out ahead besides the free graders notes on my submissions?  Has anyone else upgraded their membership?  I haven't submitted in a while  

You will get 10% (Premium) or 15% off (Elite) on CGC grading tiers (excluding Sig Series, on-site, and CCS services).  And you get 20% discount on additional grader notes for Elite only, i.e. grader notes on items you did not submit.

Your Modern subs (if they are max value of $200) would be $18 for Premium or $17 for Elite for each book instead of $20.  You would just take the fee per book and take off the percentage. :)

18 minutes ago, Crops068 said:

You will get 10% (Premium) or 15% off (Elite) on CGC grading tiers (excluding Sig Series, on-site, and CCS services).  And you get 20% discount on additional grader notes for Elite only, i.e. grader notes on items you did not submit.

Your Modern subs (if they are max value of $200) would be $18 for Premium or $17 for Elite for each book instead of $20.  You would just take the fee per book and take off the percentage. :)

And no additional $150 credit when you upgrade. ;)

... I think Premium vs. Elite comes down a pretty simple calculation based on the number of books you plan to submit.

Regarding Grader Notes: There is no charge to access to notes for your own submissions. You only pay for notes on other submissions.

Edited by adampasz

On 5/20/2019 at 1:28 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

I really didn't call often, only when something was unexplanable to me. There's no way of answering your question on how often these final grades are overriden. We are not privy to the daily details. 

Bob, from what I recall, this didn't happen very often---I'd say maybe an average of a couple times a day.

In the case you mention, Haspel undoubtedly found a flaw that everyone else overlooked. He's very, very good at that, almost preternatural in his ability to find something no one else can. I saw him do that on numerous occasions...