• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC membership “benefits”
2 2

50 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, adampasz said:

In defense of the Original Poster, CGC's tiers and membership benefits are presented in a pretty confusing way on their site. Specifically, it is not clear that Grading Notes are only for your submissions, unless you roll over the tooltip.

It took me a while to figure out some of the membership "benefits", like the grading credit, and the pre-screen process.

I was a little disappointed that the membership discount didn't carry over to Signature Series. 

I can see the reason why they charge for the grading notes outside of your own.  Cost to house data. Granted we are talking about text. With a simple lookup structure, but would still require overhead.

1 hour ago, TheBobaFett said:

Such a friendly group here.  Thank you all so kindly. I feel so welcome here.  If you treat newbies this way, hate to see the way others are treated.

Lighten up, Francis.

3 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

He's not wrong though, you're all just a bunch of bullies, especially the members who joined in 2016.

Yeah, a right bunch of sh:censored:s the 2016 crowd. 

39 minutes ago, Gaard said:
4 hours ago, Crops068 said:

I can see the reason why they charge for the grading notes outside of your own. 

I can't.

Once upon a time there was no fee. However, when everybody and his brother began calling for grader's notes, management realized they had another potential revenue stream and the fee was imposed.

2 minutes ago, Pontoon said:

Once upon a time there was no fee. However, when everybody and his brother began calling for grader's notes, management realized they had another potential revenue stream and the fee was imposed.

It is not just a revenue stream, it also has resource cost(s) behind it.  Even though it is likely a minor one.  Well at least the hardware needed is minor, they theoretically need to either have a bridge between their primary data warehouse to the Census or someone(s) that does data entry specifically into the Census.  I am guessing it would be separate just to ensure there is no information breaches or possibility of information breaches.

I am not familiar with the highest costs as I have only seen $5 cost grading note prompts.  I didn't pay for them either and just moved along.

I would love to see them not have a fee though that is for sure.

1 hour ago, Pontoon said:

People actually had to call? They weren't online?

6 hours ago, TheBobaFett said:

Such a friendly group here.  Thank you all so kindly. I feel so welcome here.  If you treat newbies this way, hate to see the way others are treated.

hate is too strong a word

i refer to it as contempt and disdain 

foolhardy is another one hmmm much more tongue and/in cheek rather 

Who the he-double-L cares about graders' notes on the books they submitted themselves. Hey-zoos kree-stos, you had them in hand before you submitted them. :insane: The only books I'd want graders' notes on are books I was considering buying. :sumo:

I don't play the game anymore. :bigsmile:

10 hours ago, TheBobaFett said:

Now, now bubba, go find yourself an avatar and come back with both barrels loaded! :banana:

:gossip: btw, about the same :gossip:

Edited by divad

10 hours ago, Logan510 said:

He's not wrong though, you're all just a bunch of bullies, especially the members who joined in 2016.

Don't even get me started on the old fogies from 2009.  "Back in my day we had to walk to the comic book store in the snow!"

And then there are those upstarts from 2017.  What a buncha smart-gluteous-maximus'.

21 hours ago, Crops068 said:

I can see the reason why they charge for the grading notes outside of your own.  Cost to house data. Granted we are talking about text. With a simple lookup structure, but would still require overhead.

I remember when they were free...ah, those were the days!  :foryou:

17 hours ago, Crops068 said:

It is not just a revenue stream, it also has resource cost(s) behind it.  Even though it is likely a minor one.  Well at least the hardware needed is minor, they theoretically need to either have a bridge between their primary data warehouse to the Census or someone(s) that does data entry specifically into the Census.  I am guessing it would be separate just to ensure there is no information breaches or possibility of information breaches.

As I'm sure you already know, each book graded by CGC has it's own specific invoice number. All anyone working at CGC has to do is to enter the invoice number into the system and everything about that book (including the notes) is readily available. I believe the fee would be for the time and trouble it takes to perform that activity. After all, it is a business...  :foryou: 

1 hour ago, The Lions Den said:

I remember when they were free...ah, those were the days!  :foryou:

I remember when you had to call CGC directly to inquire about notes. They would also tell you how each of 3 graders assigned their grades. Scenarios like 9.0,9.0,9.2 . Found out the FInal grader outruled the other graders. I once had a book assigned a 9.8 by 3 grader's that was overruled to a 9.0 ! I think Haspel found something that they missed. IMO, Haspel was the best grader, really sharp. When he left and Litch took over, I sensed the grades were too lenient. Does Haspel still come in to grade on a part time basis ?

5 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I remember when you had to call CGC directly to inquire about notes. They would also tell you how each of 3 graders assigned their grades. Scenarios like 9.0,9.0,9.2 . Found out the FInal grader outruled the other graders. I once had a book assigned a 9.8 by 3 grader's that was overruled to a 9.0 ! I think Haspel found something that they missed. IMO, Haspel was the best grader, really sharp. When he left and Litch took over, I sensed the grades were too lenient. Does Haspel still come in to grade on a part time basis ?

As far as I know, yes. And you're right---Mark has a kind of "sixth sense" when it comes to detecting flaws that other people will overlook...  (worship)

On 5/10/2019 at 6:24 PM, Crops068 said:

The retrieval and sending of paid for graders notes is 100% automated. 

17 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

The retrieval and sending of paid for graders notes is 100% automated. 

The cost to serve the information from their database is marginal since they already have the equipment to store the database. If they don't want their servers overloaded with people requesting graders notes, they could easily make it included with the paid memberships and more than cover their costs. Charging $5 for access to graders notes would be like charging $5 to load a forum thread (and in fact it's much more data and processing to load a forum thread).