• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ratio of published to unpublished OA in your collection
1 1

36 posts in this topic

Very fun reading the responses so far.

A related anecdote -- I value my McFarlane sketch of Venom more than I do the Incredible Hulk page I have by him, because Venom was/is hands-down my fave character since age 8.  Yet there's no way I'd dish out the $$ needed for a nice McFarlane published Venom page (I'd rather pick up another Frazetta if I could throw near-six figures on OA).  Hence, when I saw that it was available, I swooped in with little hesitation.

Venom will be drawn for as long as Spidey lives on, but I dig having something by his creator; also given the scarcity. Published or unpublished be damned.

9 hours ago, Matches_Malone said:

Besides the cost effectiveness, I never understood collecting unpublished or commission pieces.  I rather save the funds for a publish piece.
If cost was the factor, I would much rather go the route of prelims, as they would reflect and resemble the final version of the publish piece.  

I love collecting prelims because to is an insight into the artist creative process. While some prelims are close to the published many are not and seeing the differences is what I like.

As for commissions, I like them because they are personal. With my iPod Commissions/Con Drawings it related to my career since I have worked at Apple. Also get artist to draw characters I love, many they may have never drawn. Its the personal touch that I love, sometimes I will give them more direction on a commission either a situation, multiple scenes or a storyline.

Its the personal connection to the artist and my input on some of the final product which makes unpublished commissions so special to me.

Here are some examples:

I commissioned Tom Grummett to do an iPod piece which is a take off on Clark racing to get to a phone booth to change to Superman. With iPhones/cel phones phone booths are going the way of the Dodo bird.

76nhUZ84_0410150155461.thumb.jpg.3cdbae52d4559c65f744a6c41f422491.jpg

This is the 2nd commission Doug Sneyd did for me, he did it in the style of the Playboy cartoons he drew for the magazine for 50 years. I had the quote "Apple is a religious experience? Guys say that about me all the time.", then worked with Doug with it set in an Apple Store she is talking to a genius, plus the Hitchcock poster and redhead (from a previous commission).

jxRpRcge_1303151725591.jpg.323744901b649d5a20e5d19119982349.jpg

Enric Torres did a Betty as the Rocketeer, we worked out having the Astronomers Monument from Griffith Observatory and Zeppelin flying in the background.

kprZgGPz_1008140123511.thumb.jpg.1a0376124e931924e2d5229ec82dc48b.jpg

Last I worked with Enric Romero on an AXA commission set at Apple Campus comprised of 5 newspaper strips. I supplied the images of the campus, a short setup for the first and last two strips. Then Enric and I came up with the rest of the situation with the Pterodactyl. Turned out amazing.

AXA_AppleCampus_Commission_p1-5_.thumb.jpg.e2cc0d96becc2bc254992c1fb98b9554.jpg

Edited by Brian Peck

14 minutes ago, Lucky Baru said:

How do prelims of published covers and published inner pages get defined?

Unpublished. Since none of the art on the prelims were ever published even if they are close still different.

5 hours ago, Bill C said:

As far as published vs unpublished: I consider commissions a different category than unpublished/rejected/cancelled images. But if you're throwing commissions in the unpublished category, then a good chunk of my collection is unpublished. I doubt it's anywhere near 50%, but it's a good % and likely to increase.

Yep, commissions are indeed unpublished -- it's the general understanding.  A separate subcategory, to be sure.

I've preferred picking up commissions originally requested by others... no surprises with the end result.

As a rule I only collect published comic art (and I agree with the definition that it means art that was actually printed in a comic for sale). I do not know the exact percentage but I would guess it to be about 95%. And most of the unpublished ones were clearly meant to be published but were abandoned at one stage or another before being accepted (from just pencils to fully inked). The only piece I can think of that was never meant to be published was this drawing by Mike Mignola.

MignolaGroot.jpg

10 hours ago, Brian Peck said:

Unpublished. Since none of the art on the prelims were ever published even if they are close still different.

Thanks!  With the above in mind, then about 90% of my collection is published.

100% published art, 90% of the art I own or owned, the original artist passed away before I ever owned the piece, all the other art was done before I started collecting (2002).

Except for one piece, the only piece I bought straight from the artist, without it even being for sale. I read the book, saw the page and e-mailed the artist. He told me it wasn't really for sale, but thought that the piece belonged more with me than with him; so he sold it to me.

The artist is Peter Bagge and this piece was such a bolt out of the blue that I just had to have it.

Baggeprs.thumb.jpg.b6c0172fe03659eb39f134dc60c2bc66.jpg

If I look at what I post on CAF, which is the art I consider worth posting, then my published to unpublished ratio is 1:1.57. In other words, I have slightly over one-and-a-half times more unpublished art than published art. However, in terms of dollars spent, published art outspends unpublished art at a ratio of 4.82:1, or almost five dollars is spent on published art for every dollar spent on unpublished art. I think that ratio is what tells the real story.

I like this type of topic. It helps me see my collection in a different light.

Edited by Jay Olie Espy
Typo

On 5/10/2019 at 7:35 PM, Nexus said:

(I rep a guy who actually just did a CAPTAIN CARROT cover. 

I have a commissioned Captain Carrot and the Amazing Zoo Crew cover. Click to embiggen.

Captain Carrot and his Amazing Zoo Crew (Tribute to JLA 29) by Scott Shaw!, Comic Art

On 5/10/2019 at 5:05 PM, Matches_Malone said:

I never understood collecting unpublished or commission pieces

I commission for a few reasons:

1. I have a specific idea that I really like and want to see it realized, e.g., my Yale Stewart L'il Legion and my Frank Brunner Howard the Duck vs. Donald Duck pieces.
  2. I want to reward the artists for all of the entertainment that they have given me over the years, e.g., my Cardy Bat Lash and Colan Daredevil.
  3. I like their style and really want a more striking image than most panel pages provide.
  4. Get to know the artists a bit.
Edited by alxjhnsn

Majority of my collection is published with only three unpublished pieces left. 

A gift from Sam Kieth and two commissions: Frank Miller and Sim/Gerhard. Absolutely love those unpubs.