• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC accuracy
1 1

33 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm super new to the board and just submitted 5 comics for grading.  In your opinion, does CGC tend to be extremely accurate in its grading as opposed to what you thought it should be graded at? I know we aren't all professional graders but I'm sure, as collectors, we have a pretty good eye for what constitutes a higher grade vs a lower one.

I'm just curious as to what others experienced.  I guess we all want our comics to be graded at its highest -LOL! 

Thanks!

There is no way to really answer your question since grading is subjective to begin with. If you use CGC as the scale then you can consider them always right and your scale can measure accordingly.

Ive gotten books back 9.6 without notes and no issues...so why not 9.8 who knows!

Firstly Welcome to the boards!

Just like any business with competitors there will be some that like one company over another.  CGC has what seems like the best track record of the 3 known companies that grade comics. (take that as you will as I am pretty new here)

The last con I went to they also had the busiest booth compared to the competitor that was there, he who shall not be named.

Just like with any company they are not without flaws, they have TAT (turn around time) and newton ring issues, which are the biggest two issues present currently.

On 5/10/2019 at 11:42 AM, Pie-Pad said:

Hi, I'm super new to the board and just submitted 5 comics for grading.  In your opinion, does CGC tend to be extremely accurate in its grading as opposed to what you thought it should be graded at? I know we aren't all professional graders but I'm sure, as collectors, we have a pretty good eye for what constitutes a higher grade vs a lower one.

I'm just curious as to what others experienced.  I guess we all want our comics to be graded at its highest -LOL! 

Thanks!

CGC graders are the best in the business...  :)

On 5/10/2019 at 11:42 AM, Pie-Pad said:

In your opinion, does CGC tend to be extremely accurate in its grading as opposed to what you thought it should be graded at?

Yes? No? Maybe? At various times in its existence, CGC has been looser on grading and tighter on grading. There have been more threads on this board than I can remember talking about that very thing. 

Edited by Jeffro.

I tend to mostly agree with CGC's grading methods. Of the few graded comics I have, I 100% agree with the grades given.

I would like to personally inspect a 10 Gem Mint someday to see if I agree that it's "perfect". That would be the telling tale for me, whether or not they employ some of the best graders in the country/world.

Welcome to the boards!

CGC is the gold standard for comics grading. As others have noted, there have been periods of ups and downs in terms of grading strictness. This appears to be an era of tight grading. CGC has also had it's issues with Newton Rings but I still stick with them. CGC also has some great people on their staff who are very helpful in person at cons and through emails. The Registry and the Chat Boards are also nice (and free) services they provide. 

On 5/10/2019 at 10:42 AM, Pie-Pad said:

I know we aren't all professional graders but I'm sure, as collectors, we have a pretty good eye for what constitutes a higher grade vs a lower one.

You may be surprised and disappointed to find out that's the exception and not the rule. 

3 minutes ago, Twisted_Road said:

I've had books get rejected as 9.8s for presscreen, yet they get a 9.8 when resubmitted without a prescreen (without pressing). 

I don't see CGC grades as a gold standard, but I do value their service.

Who's the gold standard, then..?

3 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

Why should I care? I've just spent most of my life collecting these things... lol 

CGC is the gold standard for me, because I collect almost exclusively Signature Series, and their 3rd-party authority for in-house authentication is unparalleled for signatures I didn't witness myself. I don't trust any other source to validate a signature.

Oh well. According to that guy I should just give up and sell the farm.

On 5/14/2019 at 11:42 AM, TwoPiece said:

Who's the gold standard, then..?

Overstreet. 

There is also a company that grades slabs (joking).

On 5/14/2019 at 1:26 PM, TwoPiece said:

CGC is the gold standard for me, because I collect almost exclusively Signature Series, and their 3rd-party authority for in-house authentication is unparalleled for signatures I didn't witness myself. I don't trust any other source to validate a signature.

Oh well. According to that guy I should just give up and sell the farm.

Seemed like you got a little bent outta shape there.