• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC accuracy
1 1

33 posts in this topic

I understand why someone would value the Sig Series as a trusted, reliable method of obtaining genuine signatures. :foryou: 

And while CGC may have some opportunities with regard to consistency, they're still doing a great job overall. If I may put forward a slice of personal philosophy, I feel that one of the reasons it may be so difficult to maintain consistency is because of employee turnover. As with any manufacturing facility, it's always challenging when employees leave and new people take their place. With a company that deals in the grading and encapsulation of comics, these changes would invariably show up almost immediately. Please bear in mind that each area of the CGC process is critical to the overall success of the organization. Since the grading room is more or less the "brain center" of the process, there's a certain period of adjustment whenever someone new comes in. It'd be interesting to track the turnover rate at CGC to the periods of alleged loose and tight grading to see how they match up...   

14 minutes ago, Jeffro. said:

It would be interesting for someone with a statistical background to go through and tally all the results in that crossover thread in CG. Could be eye opening

I did a rough tally one day (can't remember when) and it seemed like grade changes were about 50/50 up/down. I didn't keep a mental tally of the ones that stayed the same.

Not what you're asking for, specifically, but an older guesstimate.

40 minutes ago, Jeffro. said:

It would be interesting for someone with a statistical background to go through and tally all the results in that crossover thread in CG. Could be eye opening

Do it. :baiting:

16 hours ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:
17 hours ago, Jeffro. said:

Do it. :baiting:

Not me. Statistical analysis and I don't get along

harry carey.jpg

Edited by Jeffro.

I have to wonder about the grading system myself...….I should be getting back 2 comics I submitted for grading (both identical) and according to CGC they only graded 9.4 with white pages,now this would be ok except that the comic books came straight from their original shipping box which I opened and went right into a polybag with a board and sealed so if anything I would think it would have gotten an 9.8 or stretching it 9.9 at least

I forgot to mention that they have never even been read.

Edited by Lisa B.

11 hours ago, Lisa B. said:

the comic books came straight from their original shipping box which I opened and went right into a polybag with a board and sealed

Sounds as though you incorrectly assume that all comic books are printed, shipped, and arrived at the stores in "perfect" condition.  :screwy:

If you didn't cherry picked through the entire box to look for the best copies or had work done to them prior to grading, you should be happy that you managed to 9.4's on them.  :gossip:

11 hours ago, Lisa B. said:

I have to wonder about the grading system myself...….I should be getting back 2 comics I submitted for grading (both identical) and according to CGC they only graded 9.4 with white pages,now this would be ok except that the comic books came straight from their original shipping box which I opened and went right into a polybag with a board and sealed so if anything I would think it would have gotten an 9.8 or stretching it 9.9 at least

I forgot to mention that they have never even been read.

I'm sorry but your logic on this, that the books should be 9.8/9.9 just because the books came directly from the original shipping is wrong. They may have been 9.4's on arrival to you. CGC is just doing there job, blame whoever shipped it to you. 

On 5/16/2019 at 2:10 PM, TwoPiece said:

I did a rough tally one day (can't remember when) and it seemed like grade changes were about 50/50 up/down. I didn't keep a mental tally of the ones that stayed the same.

Not what you're asking for, specifically, but an older guesstimate.

From what I've been able to ascertain, that ratio sounds pretty accurate. And I think it's interesting to note that while one of the companies involved was pretty consistent (usually only different by a half a grade or so), the other one didn't fare so well. 

I'm sure most of the regulars here can figure out which one that was... :whistle: 

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:
13 hours ago, Lisa B. said:

the comic books came straight from their original shipping box which I opened and went right into a polybag with a board and sealed

Sounds as though you incorrectly assume that all comic books are printed, shipped, and arrived at the stores in "perfect" condition.  :screwy:

If you didn't cherry picked through the entire box to look for the best copies or had work done to them prior to grading, you should be happy that you managed to 9.4's on them.  :gossip:

For reference...9.4 is the "typical" grade that a book coming out of a distribution box is likely to be. 9.8s are, "in nature", incredibly rare. Had pressing not existed, I imagine the number of 9.8s on the census would be about 1/20th or less what they are now.

It's amazing the flaws that the average buyer simply doesn't see. Still counts.

It seems more 10's and 9.9's were issued in the past and at some point somebody said okay no more 10's and 9.9's lets make 9.8 the new max unless a new guideline is met. Also, sometimes a 9.8 will have a questionable defect or a combination of two small defects that some may feel pushes it below a 9.8. 

thanks for all the info.

Bomber-Bob I wasn't talking about taking the comics out of a box that someone shipped to me the comics came out of their shipping boxes the ones that the printer puts them in to ship where ever they are going the boxes I got were the "original sealed boxes" and they weren't shipped to me.