• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CVA and now QES?
1 1

78 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:
6 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:
9 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Question Every Submission hm

Quite Everyone Should

Quality Everyone Seeks

Comic Vandalism Aside

4 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:
8 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:
11 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:
13 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Quite Everyone Should

Quality Everyone Seeks

Comic Vandalism Aside

Center Vilified Annotation

2 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:
11 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:
15 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:
18 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:
20 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Quite Everyone Should

Quality Everyone Seeks

Comic Vandalism Aside

Center Vilified Annotation

Cocky Vaunting Arsewipes

1 hour ago, Jimmy Linguini said:

My favorite part about CVS is how they claim on their website that books with the sticker go for so much more than copies without the sticker. AND THEY EVEN QUOTE SALES!
All of those sales are from ONE auction house website that doesn't report to GPA so are they legitimate sales? I would say no. 

I'm betting that was CLink, right? There's a connection between the two, so not surprising they would pull results from their auctions, but that doesn't invalidate the sales data. It's hit or miss, but I have seen some of their "approved" books sell for a premium in a like-for-like situation over books that didn't have the designation.

4 hours ago, Martin Sinescu said:

I'm betting that was CLink, right? There's a connection between the two, so not surprising they would pull results from their auctions, but that doesn't invalidate the sales data. It's hit or miss, but I have seen some of their "approved" books sell for a premium in a like-for-like situation over books that didn't have the designation.

Natural follow-up question - what insufficiently_thoughtful_person(s) and or insider(s) are bidding up certain books based solely on the generic “Comic Viewed Apace” sticker being affixed to the slab?

6 hours ago, Jimmy Linguini said:

My favorite part about CVS is how they claim on their website that books with the sticker go for so much more than copies without the sticker. AND THEY EVEN QUOTE SALES!
All of those sales are from ONE auction house website that doesn't report to GPA so are they legitimate sales? I would say no. 

5 hours ago, Martin Sinescu said:

CVA books do often sell for a premium on CL.  I just had one do so.  An Astonishing Tales 25 in 9.6 sold for about 50% more than I was expecting. Probably because of the $12 CVA sticker. 

Maybe it seems like dumb money to some. But dumb money is still REAL money. .  I don't sell on CL often and this is the first time that I've had a book that qualified for the CVA sticker. I'd certainly do it again. And I in fact really thought this book was a 9.8 when I sent it in. For whatever that's worth. I mean CGC surprises me high and low regularly so when it came back 9.6 it was just another day in the life. 

Edited by Tony S

29 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

Natural follow-up question - what insufficiently_thoughtful_person(s) and or insider(s) are bidding up certain books based solely on the generic “Comic Viewed Apace” sticker being affixed to the slab?

Not inside as far as bidding, CVA's "Lead Verifier" is a former CLink employee, so there's the connection. Now, as far as the prices, it's up for debate whether CVA books that actually sell for a premium do so because of the sticker or do so just because they present nicer and some people like me will just pay a premium for a book which meets certain visual criteria. Then again, last night an ASM 9 with the CVA sticker went well below GPA and I stayed away from it because I thought it would go higher with the sticker. Sigh, that's just like me to zig when I shoulda zagged.