• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Covers...let’s see them.

26 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Blastaar said:

There has to be a story behind this.....care to share? 

Got it in a Heritage auction in 2013. Fred Guardineer is the artist and he had kept some of his early DC originals in a portfolio to attract other illustration work. Comic historian and EC editor Jerry DeFuccio interviewed Guardineer in the late '70s while he was working as a postal carrier on Long Island. He then helped Guardineer sell his artwork. This cover went through a few hands before being auctioned. The big selling point is that, at present, it is the earliest known existing Superman cover. I got really lucky in that the competition wasn't too fierce and it barely fell in the limit of what I could spend.

3 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

Got it in a Heritage auction in 2013. Fred Guardineer is the artist and he had kept some of his early DC originals in a portfolio to attract other illustration work. Comic historian and EC editor Jerry DeFuccio interviewed Guardineer in the late '70s while he was working as a postal carrier on Long Island. He then helped Guardineer sell his artwork. This cover went through a few hands before being auctioned. The big selling point is that, at present, it is the earliest known existing Superman cover. I got really lucky in that the competition wasn't too fierce and it barely fell in the limit of what I could spend.

What a crazy piece of GA history you have there, just priceless really!!! 

5 hours ago, delekkerste said:

My sole GA art example...Schomburg, of course, from 1944:

1783077081_AlexSchomburgGreenHornet19Cover.thumb.JPG.b45c27d39b17009eb7f9dec4dd3b4548.JPG

Love the Green Hornet GA covers. This is one of the nicer ares artistically but unfortunately is pretty racists. But it does reflect the time it was created.