• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic show, sales, and auction etiquette reminders

23 posts in this topic

At a small show in CO, I found a dealer with a bunch of mid grade Marvels from 1976 that I needed so I started pulling books and quickly had a stack of about 30 books.  There was no one at his stand when I started  Quickly I was surrounded because people must have thought there were deals to be found.  People were digging through ever box, even the one I was looking through.  Very frustrating so I paid for my stack and left.

On 5/11/2019 at 8:51 PM, batman_fan said:

At a small show in CO, I found a dealer with a bunch of mid grade Marvels from 1976 that I needed so I started pulling books and quickly had a stack of about 30 books.  There was no one at his stand when I started  Quickly I was surrounded because people must have thought there were deals to be found.  People were digging through ever box, even the one I was looking through.  Very frustrating so I paid for my stack and left.

You should have started growling viciously when that person put his fingers in your box.  :sumo:  

32 minutes ago, Gaard said:

People actually start looking thru a box that you're already looking thru?

Happens more than you think.  Happened to me in Chicago 2 years ago.  It was a doofus dealer doing it too. 

I wonder if the people who do that just don't know that it's bs, or they do know and just don't care.

edit: I guess another possibility is that they think it's perfectly acceptable.

Edited by Gaard

2 hours ago, Gaard said:

I think in my case people thought the boxes I was going through must have some sweet deals because I was pulling out so many.  In reality, they were nothing special unless you were trying to fill in runs and were okay with fine to very fines

19 hours ago, Gaard said:

I wonder if the people who do that just don't know that it's bs, or they do know and just don't care.

Never had it happen to me, but I'd go with "dont care." Some people are just more important than the rest of us.

Estate sales around here are hot garbage, so I've never been in danger of getting into a fist fight over funny books at 8am.  Anyone have any good stories about someone getting hopping mad and getting thrown out for being a jerk at one of those things?

19 hours ago, Gaard said:

edit: I guess another possibility is that they think it's perfectly acceptable.

I think they just don't care. People are selfish, especially when money is involved. 

On 5/11/2019 at 7:00 PM, cms1 said:

Now that the warmer weather is here for much of the USA and a lot of shows and sales are happening, lets all please remember some comic etiquette.  Just because you are the first person to a sale does not mean you get to look through every box first while everyone stand around while you get all the best books(Unless you are buying them all).  You get your first choice of a box to look through and the rest are up for grabs and stick to being in front of one box, maybe two if you are a little larger.  As well if someone is searching a long box that is their long box, so don't go searching through it, wait your turn.   Also if someone next to you scores  a good book in a box do not ruin it for them by saying something stupid out loud to blow the deal for them. Please remember to use deodorant or use some body spray.  And lastly, lets all just be kind and civil to each other, we are all there for the same reason and it is not a life and death situation.  Rant over 2c

+infinity 

22 hours ago, Gaard said:

The same sort of dudes that would impose themselves by standing hip-to-hip with you at your urinal in a crowded, public restroom. There is always room for one more, no? 

2 hours ago, FineCollector said:

Never had it happen to me, but I'd go with "dont care." Some people are just more important than the rest of us.

Estate sales around here are hot garbage, so I've never been in danger of getting into a fist fight over funny books at 8am.  Anyone have any good stories about someone getting hopping mad and getting thrown out for being a jerk at one of those things?

I was at an estate sale once where everyone was civil and talking while waiting outside, but once the door opened two men ran into the house, one knock the other down just so he could grab a vase off of a table.  Both got kicked out and the one that was knocked to the ground called the police.