• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tomb of terror 15 question/opinion

18 posts in this topic

Hey guys how’s it going? 

I have a tomb of terror 15 that has both covers detached and an incorrect back cover, my question to you is should I get it graded with the back cover or not? Should I get it graded at all? Should I pay for the cover to be reattached? Thanks for your input! 2F8584F5-722C-464B-AF16-DC8EFEC1F87A.thumb.jpeg.80f9c407807189db4b9b5b1e98ef6ea2.jpeg

6 hours ago, Tsp99 said:

Leave it alone.  Don't get it graded.  Put it in a mylar and enjoy it.  For a poor (incomplete), it presents nicely from the partial picture you posted.  Love how the eyes have been colored to look especially bloodshot too. 

Yeah I’m sorry about that picture, I’m so new at posting on here I wasn’t sure how to edit the picture/move it so it was all in view.

thanks for your input! I love this comic so much.. I’ll just keep the look out for another one! 

On 5/11/2019 at 10:18 PM, Mak420 said:

Hey guys how’s it going? 

I have a tomb of terror 15 that has both covers detached and an incorrect back cover, my question to you is should I get it graded with the back cover or not? Should I get it graded at all? Should I pay for the cover to be reattached? Thanks for your input! 

Out of curiosity, do you have any idea what book the BC may have come from?  Is it the same period as the book/cover?  

And yes like others have said, mylar it.  Such a great, gruesome cover.

I would agree with the majority here, to simply leave it as is and enjoy it.  That said, here are scans of mine, FC, BC, and part of the inside BC.  If you can find another 1954 book with the same BC, you could "marry it" to this one, loosely.

Tomb of Terror 15.jpg

ToT 15 BC.jpg

ToT 15 in BC.jpg

1 hour ago, fifties said:

I would agree with the majority here, to simply leave it as is and enjoy it.  That said, here are scans of mine, FC, BC, and part of the inside BC.  If you can find another 1954 book with the same BC, you could "marry it" to this one, loosely.

Tomb of Terror 15.jpg

ToT 15 BC.jpg

ToT 15 in BC.jpg

Oh yeah man I’ve been looking for almost 8 months for a back cover. 

Some comics that share the same back cover are black cat mystery 50, and chamber of chills 23 Both are high dollar books lol 😭. So I’m kinda out of luck unless someone on here has a back cover laying around?

I’ve made a couple post on some other comic book forms looking for a sew leather ad from Harvey comics around 1954. 

Im trying to save a couple grand for a complete one that will replace this one.

thanks so much for taking the time out to scan your book! 

This is the back cover that came with mine. 

B74B46C5-8FD3-494C-BD44-D1590B556223.jpeg

On 1/29/2023 at 8:39 AM, rolo77 said:

Could you attach a better picture of this comic, here sent you sent it to CGC, the one on comic link is to blurry

On 1/29/2023 at 8:43 AM, rolo77 said:

Also since I am looking at the CGC .5 it looks like the front cover is not centered over the comic, when it was incased, was there a reason for that?

Just a heads up....

you do realise that the last post prior to your questions was nearly 4 years ago? :insane:

On 1/29/2023 at 10:25 AM, Bookery said:

It's an old thread, of course... but it always amused me as this is famous for being an over-the-top gore cover.  But it's not really.  If you read the story, the character on the cover is a robot.  And even the cover hints at that, as there are nuts and bolts flying out of the face.  (Though I'm sure when kids explained this to their appalled mothers, the comic was still confiscated). 

Seeing that cover on any newsstand when it first came out was more than enough to draw anyone’s eye. Seeing the terror on the women’s face and all the reds on the cover further defines what makes it one of the top 5 precode horror covers. Unlike our looking back in retrospect, they didn’t know what the story was until purchasing it and reading the pages in between the covers. That’s one of the beauties of this hobby. 

On 1/29/2023 at 11:34 AM, bronze johnny said:

Seeing that cover on any newsstand when it first came out was more than enough to draw anyone’s eye. Seeing the terror on the women’s face and all the reds on the cover further defines what makes it one of the top 5 precode horror covers. Unlike our looking back in retrospect, they didn’t know what the story was until purchasing it and reading the pages in between the covers. That’s one of the beauties of this hobby. 

The terror on the womans face. that's why I like it a bit better than Black Cat 50, which seems to be a little more popular at this time. And thanks Bookery, I wondered about those sprockets and nuts and bolts flying out. 

On 1/29/2023 at 12:11 PM, Professor K said:

The terror on the womans face. that's why I like it a bit better than Black Cat 50, which seems to be a little more popular at this time. And thanks Bookery, I wondered about those sprockets and nuts and bolts flying out. 

I thought I remember reading something about the cover being changed, adding the gears and bolts to "tone" the cover down a notch.  Probably in the 10 cent plague, I'll have to see if I can find the passage.

On 1/29/2023 at 3:11 PM, Professor K said:

It comes down to preferences and there are those that see BCM 50 as the better copy. I happen to prefer TOT 15 because of the woman’s terrifying reaction, and red color that will generally result in a more alarming reaction on the part of the person viewing the cover than the colors on BCM 50’s cover. They are both incredible covers nevertheless and deserve their place among the greatest precode horror classics.