• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SS Series Newbie Query

5 posts in this topic

Hi everybody who bothered to click on this thread, 

Serious Question: 1st I am not a fan of signatures unless its Jack Kirby or Steve Ditko. I have no SS's in my collection. However I have a Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love #2 in CGC 9.4 Blue label that came from the "#1 Neal Adams Registry Set" that was sold off on comiclink I believe in 2016. Only 4 graded higher. Only 1 signature series exists of 39 graded copies and its a pathetic 9.0. Gross.

I would like to have it signed by Mr. Adams and I could find him no problem at a convention as I am in his general area. I've seen him signing many times. Just wondering how CGC goes about getting a graded comic signed in their presence for a yellow label for an artist or writer to sign. The case has to be cracked obviously. Do they crack it? Do I crack it? Do they make Neal Adams do it? Anybody know the process? Plus if he can't sign it in front of me I don't want it because I have an exact spot where I want his John Hancock ( go head, have fun with that) which is on the bottom right of the beautiful and frightened young womans lovely white dress, in black letters. (I've seen too many Stan Lee defacements over the years).

Final thing is I have read about a risk of your comic coming back a lower grade when being transformed from a Blue Label to a Yellow. Is this true?

Ok thanks in advance 

1971-11 The Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love 2.jpg

Edited by Dinosaur jr.

You have a few options. 

1. Since it is a blue label you can crack it yourself and then you would have the peace of mind on how it will be handled when the case is opened (not saying CGC will mishandle just lowers the chances of any oops on their side).  Of course by that token if you slip it is completely on you.  If you do it this way, please keep the label so you can report it to CGC this is that label for census purposes.

2. Take it still slabbed to where Neal is signing, making sure there will be a CGC witness and have them facilitate the signing.  They will crack the case, get it signed, and submit it to CGC. This is in the instance it is a "private" screening.

3. Take it still slabbed to a convention where Neal is attending.  Go to a CGC booth (if they are also attending).  Sign up for a witness to follow you to witness the signature.  You at that point can either ask them to crack it or have it already cracked and prepared (bring the label with you if you already cracked for Census purposes).  He could be one that is very specific on where he signs, so if you window bag your book and it is not where he wants, he could either ask you to remove it from the bag or remove it himself, both scenarios risk possible damage.  Once the signature is completed the witness will then evidence bag and seal it.  You will then need to return to the CGC booth to have them check it in for submission.

That is the 3 scenarios I can think of.