• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MC 1 vs Cap 1
1 1

29 posts in this topic

39 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

MC 1 > Cap 1.  Let the bickering begin. I’m keeping score .......

I’ve been on both sides of the fence on this one. Right now, I’m on the side of Marvel Comics #1 and I don’t think it’s particularly close.

1 hour ago, Mmehdy said:

In the long run Cap 1...espeically 6.0 and higher

The shift in value as the grade goes up is what it is. Value in low grade is a stronger indicator of the “better” book IMO.

Would a 9.8 AF #15 outsell a 9.8 Batman #1? Possibly. But 1.0 vs. 1.0? Not in the same universe.

Rarity is a strong driving force, so books that are more common are “rarer” in higher grades.

If one book pulls ahead of another due to condition instead of what the book itself is, it becomes a different kind of hierarchy.

With that said, Marvel #1, Cap #1, Batman #1 and AF #15 are all incredible books. I don’t like throwing shade at one to prop up another. Just sharing a perspective.

Oh boy yet another joust :kidaround:

I’ll re-post this from the Metro Marvel 1 thread:

I love Cap as a character, but as a comic book, Marvel 1 always trumps Cap 1 for me due to the great history entrenched in it....Goodman, a master pulp distributer, taking on and publishing a comic book for the first time in his career while enlisting Jacquet's army of qualified artists....Frank Torpey's name appearing later in the Marvel Mystery 9 Torch/Subby battle story is quite entertaining...but I'm the only one that cares about that none sense in the 2019 collector's world. 

11 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

MC 1 > Cap 1.  Let the bickering begin. I’m keeping score .......

What's the question?  

Which book one prefers?  Which one is the better investment short term/longterm?  Which one is more historically significant?  Something else?

52 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

What's the question?  

Which book one prefers?  Which one is the better investment short term/longterm?  Which one is more historically significant?  Something else?

All of the above works 😁.  

28 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

All of the above works 😁.  

Well, in that case:

If I were a kid back in 1941 and I was over a Billy's house trading comics and I had the choice between the two, I would choose Captain America 1.  Better art.  Better stories.  More and longer stories of the main character.

Present day I would choose Marvel 1 October version.  What I said above the art/stories above still holds true in the present, however, Marvel 1 has a cache about it that Captain America 1 will never have.  (First Timely book; first appearance of 2 characters; two different cover dates; etc)

Future?  Still Marvel 1, October copy followed by the November copy; then Captain America 1.

11 hours ago, Primetime said:

Oh boy yet another joust :kidaround:

I’ll re-post this from the Metro Marvel 1 thread:

I love Cap as a character, but as a comic book, Marvel 1 always trumps Cap 1 for me due to the great history entrenched in it....Goodman, a master pulp distributer, taking on and publishing a comic book for the first time in his career while enlisting Jacquet's army of qualified artists....Frank Torpey's name appearing later in the Marvel Mystery 9 Torch/Subby battle story is quite entertaining...but I'm the only one that cares about that none sense in the 2019 collector's world. 

I need the last page to Marvel 1 if you know anyone who has a copy :takeit:

30 minutes ago, kimik said:

Neither. I would take the $$$ and put it into the best Action #1 I could get for the same amount.

This might be the best you can do with the $$$ Action 1 is up up and away in price next to those 2 hm

act1_6112a.jpg

31 minutes ago, *paull* said:

I always preferred MC 1, still do.  I realize Cap 1 is a better financial investment.

Unless some super new movies involving those two...in the long run Cap1  is the superior investment dollar for dollar and it will be #3 or #4 depending on Superman 1's future.