• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rarity base on CGC graded stats

12 posts in this topic

I'm guessing you're asking about VoH 39 since there is no Vault of Fear and Haunt of Fear only went to 28 issues.

VoH 39 isn't rare.  It is tougher in grade because of its dark cover.    It's one of the better covers in the run but hasn't quite broken out compared to other classic bondage covers.  It's certainly due.    

Edited by Tsp99

Oops yes meant Vault of Horror. Curious about GPA stats on graded issues in total when looking up a particular issue from pre code issues. How does number of graded issues impact rarity? Or more precisely, issues graded higher than a particular grade. Say 4.5 has 30 issue graded higher, but only 60 graded issues are known? Trying to get a handle on it. Despite keys as such just curious the number stats.  Thank for your earlier reply.

1 hour ago, Dr. Cyclops said:

Oops yes meant Vault of Horror. Curious about GPA stats on graded issues in total when looking up a particular issue from pre code issues. How does number of graded issues impact rarity? Or more precisely, issues graded higher than a particular grade. Say 4.5 has 30 issue graded higher, but only 60 graded issues are known? Trying to get a handle on it. Despite keys as such just curious the number stats.  Thank for your earlier reply.

I believe you have asked this question in the wrong section, this is a WTB thread. 

14 hours ago, Dr. Cyclops said:

Thought on your criteria for establishing rarity.

All I do is look at my hands.  lol

If there's more than a handful in total on the CGC population census report, than it's not considered to be rare.  If there's more than two handfuls in total on the census, then it's not considered to be even scarce in my book.  hm

Of course, that's my own personal criteria for determining if a book is rare or even scarce.  I am sure that everybody would have their own threshold levels though.  (thumbsu

On the other hand, a low census count could simply mean that collectors perceive no demand for a particular book and hence this could be the reason why nobody bothers to slab them.  :insane:

Edited by lou_fine

11 hours ago, lou_fine said:

On the other hand, a low census count could simply mean that collectors perceive no demand for a particular book and hence this could be the reason why nobody bothers to slab them

This. Just because the census numbers are low on a particular book that doesn't necessarily mean that the comic is rare/scarce. I have a couple CGC slabbed bronze DC war and horror comics. The census numbers for those books are low but there are many mnay copies available. If you want to talk about rare/scarce in grade that's a different discussion. 

One way that I get a handle on rarity is to track stuff on ebay. Certain comics just don't show up very often for sale on ebay and that's telling to me. It's not the be all and end all of determining rarity. No one source is, not the CGC census, not Overstreet, etc, but at the very least, it's a starting point.

Edited by Jeffro.

There's only 2 CGC-graded copies of Action Comics #666.

That doesn't make the issue, itself, rare. Just the amount of CGC copies are rare.

There isn't a method of determining print runs that I am aware of. There are sales records, but they don't always paint the whole picture. Copies are destroyed, etc.