• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Inherited large comic book/graphic novel collection

49 posts in this topic

It may simply be that I had a good teacher.  My buddy who was my age whose dad had a liquor store got all his comics for free haha.  Anyway he had bags so it was only natural for me to get them too.  Backing boards were a different story.  I did not start with boards but when that trend developed I quickly adopted it.  Then of course came the rush to change out boards to acid free.  The poly bags were extremely cheap back then and wrinkled fast.  I think I changed them out at least twice.  Thin mylars did not exist.  I only had about 1 long box so it wasn't too difficult.  I loved getting tape stuck on my book. Ahh memories...

Another point I haven't seen anyone make yet is storage of the collection itself. If you need this gone vs if you have room for it. Just my opinion, I would work on moving all those statues first to drastically reduce the storage space. Each one of those can take up considerable room, as well as potentially help you fund anything you might decide to do with the comics if you find any to be of value.

16 hours ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Still no pictures from the OP. :( 

It will be a while before I post any pics. Everything is now in storage (climate controlled) and I've just got too much other stuff going on right now. Sorry.

1 hour ago, uglytobone said:

It will be a while before I post any pics. Everything is now in storage (climate controlled) and I've just got too much other stuff going on right now. Sorry.

Any friends that could help you in your time of need?  Or if this isn't a priority that is completely understandable too.  Hopefully the information you have received will help you make the best decision for you.

1 hour ago, uglytobone said:

Your brother dies and you can't make time to take pictures for random strangers? Get it together, man.

Assuming you have access to his financial records, check to see if he made payments to any insurance companies for his collection. They may have a spreadsheet with the books value, or they might just be able to tell you what he valued them at.

Was it a sudden death where it's likely he made no arrangements?

3 hours ago, Crops068 said:

Any friends that could help you in your time of need?  Or if this isn't a priority that is completely understandable too.  Hopefully the information you have received will help you make the best decision for you.

Right now it's just not a priority, but when the time comes I'm sure someone will help me if I ask. The information that I have received here has been very useful-- thanks everyone. Lots of good stuff on this whole board. I received a suggestion on an app that tracks comic prices on Ebay, and was really kicking myself for not keeping and taking better care of my comics in my teens. I'm sure many of y'all have had the same feeling.

3 hours ago, shadroch said:

Your brother dies and you can't make time to take pictures for random strangers? Get it together, man.

Assuming you have access to his financial records, check to see if he made payments to any insurance companies for his collection. They may have a spreadsheet with the books value, or they might just be able to tell you what he valued them at.

Was it a sudden death where it's likely he made no arrangements?

His death was sudden of natural causes, but his finances were in order, which is not something I can say about his duplex which has been a real bear to clean out. I have found no signs that his collection was insured. That said, there were surprises and interesting things everywhere. One of the more interesting things was a ticket for an unnamed storage unit which I had to track down. Taking all the keys I found in the duplex to the storage unit, I tried them all one at a time until the lock popped open. I was surprised to find nothing but his convertible 1987 Toyota Celica sitting there in storage. Not a super classic, but the body was in good shape and he only quit driving it when it got too small for him, so I expect it to run after a bit of work. It's been sitting idle about 8-10 years.

Edited by uglytobone