• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Book (i.e. one staple) detached Centerfold - how would you grade them?
2 2

7 posts in this topic

I recently acquired a few nice older books from the WWII period wherein they were rationed one staple per book,  and the centerfolds of two of the books are detached (one has 2 centerfolds detached). What hit on the grade would this cause? 

(Also, makes you realize how many comics were being printed that cutting out half of the staples used was worth it for the war effort!)

I am attaching pictures because I know I'd be hounded to oblivion if I just left you all hanging. Full grade opinions are welcome.

#10 has a 3 1/2" neat spine split from the top, doesn't reach the staple. You see some paper loss along the spine as well (just the color/printed part, doesn't feel rough). 2 centerwraps detached. (yes, I know, this is a Gerber 7 book)

#11 is rougher all around but the spine is not split at all, one centerwrap detached.

Thanks!!!

Comic899.jpg

Comic900.jpg

Comic901.jpg

Comic902.jpg

First, let me say that both these books are very cool, and pretty scarce, too. The spine split on the #10 really affects the grade, and having two center wraps detached doesn't help (there will likely be a note on the label concerning that particular flaw). I'd agree that 3.0 is a fair grade for that one. The #11 is rougher with the creases and wear, but because it's solid I could still see a 2.5 - 3.0 on that book. The centerfold being detached on the #11 really shouldn't affect the grade much, but will probably get you a note on that label as well. Of course, that's just my opinion. In any event, thanks for posting these cool books...  (thumbsu

And if I may, I'd urge you to be very careful if you're sending these books to CGC (or anywhere else). These books should have a note placed on the bag--- something along the lines of FRAGILE! HANDLE WITH CARE would be advisable. That way, even the folks at CGC will take notice and use extra care when handling them. CGC graders actually have special stickers that they'll place on the bags to give the encapsulation room a heads-up as well. I hope this helps, and again, thanks for sharing...  

I was surprised last week when CGC graded one of my one-staple books with detached centerfold as a 6.0. Everything else about it appeared to be 6.5, so they didn't ding it too bad for the detached center. Perhaps there is some forgiveness, due to the fact that having only one staple naturally puts a book's integrity at risk.

Once you get below 4.0, I'm not sure a detached centerfold has any effect on the grade, though it may make a book a little less desirable to some. It's a flaw that really bothers some people even in the lower grades. Very nice eye-appeal on the #10.

So got the books back from CGC - had some press and clean done on them but I wasn't expecting any big bumps, just sort of cleaning up here and there. Not far off what you all thought - the 10 would have been higher but for the 3" spine split (!!)

2054414-016F.JPG

2054414-015F.JPG