• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is eBay’s Global Shipping Program 100% safe?

30 posts in this topic

With the amount of scams, hacked accounts , credit card charge backs etc, a seller has much to be concerned about. I know the fees are a big turn off to international buyers but on the brighter side as a seller, one only needs to ship to eBays facility in Kentucky. So is that it for the seller? Tracking to Kentucky and we’re out of the woods? eBay is now handling it from there right? If the buyer is a hacked account does eBay deal with it? I’ve never had an issue. Anyone ever have a horror story using  Global Shipping?

As a seller, I do like it. International shipments typically came with special instructions, requests for declarations, and other time consuming variables. I've sent many things through Ebay Global shipping and haven't had many problems. It's also another layer of protection for sellers. I had one buyer try to scam us and an expensive statute get damaged. In both cases ebay had to work it out with the buyer, which they did. 

I know all of the arguments from buyers who hate it, but as a seller, I like it a lot, and have been using it since it launched with absolutely zero issues. Also, I live in Kentucky, so shipping to Erlanger is fast and cheap for me, so it's a double bonus.

59 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

I know all of the arguments from buyers who hate it, but as a seller, I like it a lot, and have been using it since it launched with absolutely zero issues. Also, I live in Kentucky, so shipping to Erlanger is fast and cheap for me, so it's a double bonus.

I love you...I mean,right on dude!

30 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I love you...I mean,right on dude!

I'm comfortable enough with myself to allow for the love of strangers on the internet. 

My wife may have some objections though...

3 minutes ago, MustEatBrains said:

Sellers like it, buyers do not (hefty charges), especially if they win multiple items.  They don't combine shipping and buyer pays full freight on each item won.  Had a difficult situation with one
international buyer who won multiple items.

I’m going through this right now. Buyer is trying to convince me to sell outside of the Global Shipping Program. 

I have no need or reason to sell internationally and I’m happy to sell within the states. However this buyer would have no shot at buying from me if not for the GSP. I like the ease and assurance of the transaction so I utilize it. If ones country is charging a duty and one of its citizens finds it a problem to their own self, then they could simply compensate their bid or not bid at all. 

1 minute ago, Junkdrawer said:

I’m going through this right now. Buyer is trying to convince me to sell outside of the Global Shipping Program. 

I have no need or reason to sell internationally and I’m happy to sell within the states. However this buyer would have no shot at buying from me if not for the GSP. I like the ease and assurance of the transaction so I utilize it. If ones country is charging a duty and one of its citizens finds it a problem to their own self, then they could simply compensate their bid or not bid at all. 

This is where I'm at. I 100% understand that it sucks to get hit with duties and taxes and high shipping fees, but if not for GSP, I wouldn't be selling internationally at all. I've been on eBay nearly 25 years, and sold EVERYWHERE for most of that time. A little less than 10 years ago, I realized that 99% of the "problem" transactions I were having were with international customers, almost exclusively because once the packages leave the US, there was no reliable way to track them. Chargebacks, refunds, it just got to be too much of a mess, considering that this is my hobby, not my business. So I stopped selling internationally, and was much happier. When GSP launched, it was the best thing for me, because it opens me up to international buyers IF they want to deal with the extra charges. If not, that's cool too. But eBay has grown so punitive towards sellers, I need every protection I can get.

As always, with boardies I am still 100% happy to sell internationally, because we do a better job of policing shady buyers than pretty much any other venue I can think of. I love my international boardies. But on eBay, it's just not worth it anymore. GSP provides a half-way decent solution.

I had one buyer once who bought a ton of my books, realized he couldn't combine shipping (although my item descriptions all warn buyers that this is the case with GSP) and proceeded to give me all kinds of hell. So I canceled. It's just not worth it. For those of you who are full time dealers, I understand that you don't want to cut off any potential revenue streams. For those of us who are hobbyists, any hassle is more hassle than I have to deal with, so I don't.

3 hours ago, BrianHoward said:

As a seller, I do like it. International shipments typically came with special instructions, requests for declarations, and other time consuming variables. I've sent many things through Ebay Global shipping and haven't had many problems. It's also another layer of protection for sellers. I had one buyer try to scam us and an expensive statute get damaged. In both cases ebay had to work it out with the buyer, which they did. 

I liked your post

I didnt like what happened to you.

18 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I liked your post

I didnt like what happened to you.

Thanks for that. All I'll say is AVOID any buyers named Willem Devoch (or any variation) from the Netherlands. He tried to game me for 13k in lots. The only reason I didn't get totally screwed was because of Ebay Global Shipping. 

To combine shipping I have billed the second lot through PayPal using the email address they provided and then just combined them on my own eBay had no issue with it

30 minutes ago, Bird said:

To combine shipping I have billed the second lot through PayPal using the email address they provided and then just combined them on my own eBay had no issue with it

You’re quite possibly committing mail fraud. I’m no lawyer but helping the buyer circumvent fees and duties just isn’t worth it. Funny they never ask beforehand but always after the auction ends or after they’ve bid. 

8 minutes ago, Junkdrawer said:

You’re quite possibly committing mail fraud. I’m no lawyer but helping the buyer circumvent fees and duties just isn’t worth it. Funny they never ask beforehand but always after the auction ends or after they’ve bid. 

the item gets marked as paid so no fees are circumvented. Same thing on the value of the item part of the customs form

Edited by Bird

Buyer from Canada recently claimed that there was a problem with a $175 item.  

eBay Global Shipping Program settled it in my favor and made sure I kept my money at no cost to myself.  They said, they would then deal with the buyer. 

Claim closed for me. 

I really do not care anymore what the consensus is of these boards when it comes to international sales and eBay's GSP.  I will not ship anything international anymore using eBay without using the GSP.  If you want something that badly over eBay and I am selling it, you can agree by the terms of GSP or shop with someone else.  I have to do what is best for me in these matters. 

For me, it has increased my sales and also expands my reach because I am comfortable using the GSP to ship anywhere that the GSP will ship to.