• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you folks carry around your comics at a busy show?
3 3

72 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Martin Sinescu said:

I use a messenger-style bag and I keep some thick scrap cardboard inside to reinforce the pockets for my raw purchases. I prefer to have something on my side, under my arm (which I can move in front for going through narrow crowds). It also has a latch for the flap instead of a zipper, so I feel more secure with it as opposed to a backpack because you'd have to be a master ninja to get the latch open without me knowing. My backpack, on the other hand, has come unzipped with my laptop hanging halfway out while walking through the airport without me knowing it.

Same here. The one I use is designed for LPs; I use a couple of beater records as reinforcement.

It's easier to maneuver and less bulky than a backpack. Looks sort of like these:

IS609705-01-02-BIG.jpg

1428FeMale_LF.jpeg

I have three or four hardshell binder things that I keep in my backpack, each holds around 10 books or so and makes sure they don't get damaged while I'm walking the show floor. If I do a lot of buying I usually have to make a couple of trips to the car. No big deal, usually.

If you use any type of soft-shell bag (backpack/messenger) consider sticking a Priority Shipping box in there assembled.  It adds great rigidity to your bag and allows for a nice protected inner-well.  Almost like a lightweight briefcase within your bag for the protection.  You can even add more cardboard to divide books or bubble wrap for padding within.  I've been happy with that setup as a lightweight-medium hauler. (thumbsu

Truthfully, the last show I went to I used a computer bag with a reinforced pocket, but in the past I've just used the bag cons would hand out at the door, though when a show got crowded that would require extra diligence to make sure it wasn't getting banged around. 

Sometimes if I dont have anything I use my hands like I'm carrying a faberge egg,and I avoid being bumped into walking down the street. People eventually get the hint that I'm carrying something important,so they get in my way intentionally...I mean move to one side.

Speaking of people walking down the street,dont you hate those slow walkers, I always walk fast to get in front of them,than I stop and just stare into the sky.

This bag has worked pretty well for me over the past decade or so.  I used a similar one before that.  I keep the comics in FCBD bags inside the bag and they stay in nice shape.  There's enough padding, space around the sides.  When it gets too heavy, I take it out to the car and put the comics in a magazine box.

bag.JPG

12 minutes ago, kaculler said:

This bag has worked pretty well for me over the past decade or so.  I used a similar one before that.  I keep the comics in FCBD bags inside the bag and they stay in nice shape.  There's enough padding, space around the sides.  When it gets too heavy, I take it out to the car and put the comics in a magazine box.

bag.JPG

Here's a hot tip: if you have some random wires sticking out of it and a clock, you just might find yourself with a lot more space than you were expecting, as well as some unexpected security to provide "assistance".