• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you folks carry around your comics at a busy show?
3 3

72 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I use my grandpa’s 1940’s leather briefcase. Perfect for two large piles of GA standing upright next to each other. 

I often get snarky comments, but my expensive books stay safe and it is sentinmental to me. :luhv:

Besides, if this briefcase could only talk. It has been to shows all over the country for 40 years!

2A35E073-4A3B-4E4B-87C0-A695FFB57DEF.jpeg

A9A4F646-1537-48BA-8D70-5FAA7EC9499D.jpeg

That’s great- love it

3 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Has anyone hired a secret service detail,a group of matte(is that what its called) black suburbans, HRT, and a metal briefcase with shackles attached to your wrists?

IIRC, that was Mile High Comics' level of protection at the SDCC where Chuck was displaying the last of the Edgar Church books, such as the Red Raven 1.

6 hours ago, rjpb said:

image.png.f7b9e69137c3acde2d1b9a32679d6086.png

Yup.  Good choice.

I attended many English comic marts as a kid with nothing more.

Crude but surprisingly effective.

5 hours ago, Pontoon said:

Same here. The one I use is designed for LPs; I use a couple of beater records as reinforcement.

It's easier to maneuver and less bulky than a backpack. Looks sort of like these:

IS609705-01-02-BIG.jpg

1428FeMale_LF.jpeg

I have a Samsonite version that I used up until around 2008.  I get a bit concerned now about attendees barging into it, such as carefree cosplayers, and prefer a backpack.

Edited by Ken Aldred

15 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

I have a Samsonite version that I used up until around 2008.  I get a bit concerned now about attendees barging into it, such as carefree cosplayers, and prefer a backpack.

I worry about the lack of visual with the backpack and the movement,but you find it effective?

13 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I worry about the lack of visual with the backpack and the movement,but you find it effective?

I'm a lot happier with it, position-wise, than having a messenger bag to the side.

Backpack with a hard folder on the inside to protect raws or a few toploaders.   At this point I don't buy many books anymore at cons... maybe I buy one or two GA.

If I buy a page of art it's usually the last thing I buy at the show before I leave and I go to Hotflips to get a toploader to bring it home... or a certain boardie is generous beyond belief and he throws it in his artist portfolio that he carries around until it's time for me to depart.  

9 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Backpack with a hard folder on the inside to protect raws or a few toploaders.   At this point I don't buy many books anymore at cons... maybe I buy one or two GA.

If I buy a page of art it's usually the last thing I buy at the show before I leave and I go to Hotflips to get a toploader to bring it home... or a certain boardie is generous beyond belief and he throws it in his artist portfolio that he carries around until it's time for me to depart.  

That's pretty smart.

Last con I went to I bought two graded and one raw. I was or am pretty sure the raw is a bone mint 9.8 so I carried it back delicately,I was to paranoid to put it in the back pack for fear my fat a.. would crush it on the bus ride home.lol,but I used the backpack for the two graded.

I think a laptop bag would work well too,but I have yet to try it.

Edited by Hollywood1892
Typos

5 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Art portfolio for commissions.

I have a couple of Itoyas.

Sometimes I’ll get concerned about the art slipping out, so I’ll add the sophisticated countermeasure of covering with a black bin bag.

I’m not posh.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 5/14/2019 at 10:31 AM, Aweandlorder said:

Get one of these at TJMAXX for 20 bucks. Stick a short box on it and never have any stresses on the amount of books you need to carry or purchase during a show. It's light and secure. Just don't forget to strap the short box around with the elastic flaps otherwise your books can fall out!

IMG_4627.PNG

Some venues do not allow them, but really it is about rolling in with one. I have a small one I carry folded up in a big canvas bag with a short box in there. The canvas bag fits an unfolded shortie. I also have a big backpack. Inside fits an ikon box (they are a photocopy vendor) that is perfect for comics. So I have done shows and brought home 2 short boxes (3 is possible, but unstable)  on the cart, one in the canvas bag, and about a half a shortie in my backpack. Dragging it home on the subway is brutal, but a cab home from javitz is pushing $50.

22 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:
On 5/14/2019 at 1:35 PM, Hollywood1892 said:

Has anyone hired a secret service detail,a group of matte(is that what its called) black suburbans, HRT, and a metal briefcase with shackles attached to your wrists?

IIRC, that was Mile High Comics' level of protection at the SDCC where Chuck was displaying the last of the Edgar Church books, such as the Red Raven 1.

sdcc072210.thumb.jpg.4c91c37a5324c78fc7a239fff7bb86ae.jpg