• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nice resto removal win!
1 1

12 posts in this topic

On 5/14/2019 at 8:42 AM, Unstoppablejayd said:

I will never understand why people need to mark up a mid grade book (shrug)

It looks like just the top left corner was affected. My guess is either a seller at some point touched it up for maximum visual appeal, or a previous owner was a little OCD, and didn't like seeing the loss of color at the corner of the square ( particularly with a black cover). A lot of c.t. and minor resto seems kind of pointless, even in terms of affecting grade, but some folks are compelled to do it anyway. The same with excessive tape. In some cases the unscrupulous seller theory doesn't really hold up, devaluing a book by 50%, while improving "apparent grade" only enough to potentially gain 20% if the resto goes unnoticed by a potential buyer.

47 minutes ago, rjpb said:

It looks like just the top left corner was affected. My guess is either a seller at some point touched it up for maximum visual appeal, or a previous owner was a little OCD, and didn't like seeing the loss of color at the corner of the square ( particularly with a black cover). A lot of c.t. and minor resto seems kind of pointless, even in terms of affecting grade, but some folks are compelled to do it anyway. The same with excessive tape. In some cases the unscrupulous seller theory doesn't really hold up, devaluing a book by 50%, while improving "apparent grade" only enough to potentially gain 20% if the resto goes unnoticed by a potential buyer.

Yup- that is all I saw too. I always chalk it up to the unscrupulous seller but I guess I could see your point. But from someone who has been “surprised” about resto long after buying a book as unrestored I wish everyone would just leave them alone! lol