• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard World Atlanta - Heroes Con--- same weekend

56 posts in this topic

I just saw this bit of news posted -- I had been excited about the rumor of Wizard coming to Atlanta but the date announced is a big dissapointment -- both shows are scheduled on June 30-- July 2 , 2006 -- and just a few hours apart --- comments anyone ?

I have never been to Heroes Con before... but this bothers me a lot that Wizard would knowingly schedule the new Atlanta show on the same weekend (and Atlanta is only 250 miles away from Charlotte).

Bryan Hitch announced today that he is already scheduled to appear at the 2006 Heroes Con, and Adam Hughes and Tony Harris have already confirmed that they will be there. I think I'll make the trip.

I just saw this bit of news posted -- I had been excited about the rumor of Wizard coming to Atlanta but the date announced is a big dissapointment -- both shows are scheduled on June 30-- July 2 , 2006 -- and just a few hours apart --- comments anyone ?

Link? I'd love to see a Wizard show in the ATL or Orlando. I think the current big Atlanta show is more sci-fi/fantasy than comics. At least that's how their website portrays it.

Thanks for the link greggy. As an aside concerning the article, am I supposed to be disappointed that anime and gamer ppl will be conflicted out of the ATL? yeahok.gif

With the uproar about this, it looks like HeroesCon will be the BEST guest show of the year. Once all the shouting dies down, I think the caliber of people going to Heroes Con will be staggering. I've seen all sorts of names bandied about today, most of them "confirmed." Bryan Hitch announced it himself on Millarworld. He doesn't do a ton of shows. I think he's just the tip of the iceberg.

From the looks of one of those posts it seems that Wizard is backpedaling on their dates. I hope they defer to the other obvious fan-friendly con, but still make a go of Atlanta at some point. I have some great memories of making the trek up for the old Atlanta Fantasy Fair as a kid in the 80s.

werren ellis and Mark miller just signed on as well plus Martin Nodel Plus If Joe Q comes which he always does he will bring marvel. I think if a few more top talent go to heroes and CGC or DC does heroes instead on WW alanta Wizard will change the date of there show. I think I will be going to Heroes Myself. I was going to be crazy and try to do both but with heroes looking better and better I don't see how many artist will be left for Wizard. If a really big name like McFarlaine, or Garth Ennis, Neil Gaiman, Alan Moore comes to heroes I think Wizard will Just Give in. If the promoter and The CGC board members work together we could make this happen. If everybody puts in 5 bucks to pay for a big name or two and we work really hard we can do it. Contact me through a PM if you like the idea so we can get together and work on this idea.

with all due repsect, McFarlane and Alan Moore aren't going to attend any cons because of a payout. I'm sure they've been offered more money than can be raised. Second, I really don't care if two big shows are run on the same weekend. Mid Ohio Con and the National in New York competed a couple of years. Up until recently, the Big Apple and Baltimore were on the same weekend until Carbonaro relented. Having Ellis, Millar, and Hitch at Heroes would make me want to go to Heroes, and Heroes has always been a creator preferred show. It's not as if Charlotte and Atlanta so super close together... so perhaps it will bring in a different audience. Regardless... I would rather leave this up to the promoters themselves... I don't favor one show over another. And I'm not sure why we're all suddenly worried that there are two major shows on the same date.

werren ellis and Mark miller just signed on as well plus Martin Nodel Plus If Joe Q comes which he always does he will bring marvel. I think if a few more top talent go to heroes and CGC or DC does heroes instead on WW alanta Wizard will change the date of there show. I think I will be going to Heroes Myself. I was going to be crazy and try to do both but with heroes looking better and better I don't see how many artist will be left for Wizard. If a really big name like McFarlaine, or Garth Ennis, Neil Gaiman, Alan Moore comes to heroes I think Wizard will Just Give in. If the promoter and The CGC board members work together we could make this happen. If everybody puts in 5 bucks to pay for a big name or two and we work really hard we can do it. Contact me through a PM if you like the idea so we can get together and work on this idea.

And I'm not sure why we're all suddenly worried that there are two major shows on the same date

Because they're so close (250 miles) that two shows on the same weekend would actually matter and because it's Wizard vs. The (popular) Little Guy. People perceive this (rightly, I think) as Wizard trying to bury Heroes Con.

Rob:

If they are, then they are. It's competition.

On the other hand, it seems like Wizard is making a dumb move since Heroes Con is popular with creators, has some good names for next year and could easily run it on another weekend. Trouble is, they're squeezing it inbetween WW East, San Diego and then Chicago. Where should this con go... October? or perhaps April?

And I'm not sure why we're all suddenly worried that there are two major shows on the same date

Because they're so close (250 miles) that two shows on the same weekend would actually matter and because it's Wizard vs. The (popular) Little Guy. People perceive this (rightly, I think) as Wizard trying to bury Heroes Con.

Wouldn't be too hard, IMO.

The prices for Heroes tix (although the guest list is great) is incredibly high. In CBG they are advertising 4-day(?) passes for $75, $85 at the door! 893whatthe.gif

If they are, then they are. It's competition.

No doubt. But that doesn't mean that people have to like it or accept it blindly.

Personally, I've never been to Heroes and I really enjoy the Wizard shows I go to but this still rubs me the wrong way.

On the other hand, it seems like Wizard is making a dumb move since Heroes Con is popular with creators, has some good names for next year and could easily run it on another weekend. Trouble is, they're squeezing it inbetween WW East, San Diego and then Chicago. Where should this con go... October? or perhaps April?

That's certainly an issue, but not one they couldn't solve without causing the ruckus that they've caused with this decision.

It's not as if Charlotte and Atlanta so super close together... so perhaps it will bring in a different audience. Regardless... I would rather leave this up to the promoters themselves... I don't favor one show over another. And I'm not sure why we're all suddenly worried that there are two major shows on the same date.

1. My main problem is that i set up at a few conventions as a dealer & as a collector had been excited about a wizardworld in Atlanta and now you have the dealers and potential customers split up between 2 shows

2. as of now i probably wouldnt set up as a dealer at either because both will be weaker shows with the scheduling conflict

3. Charlotte and Atlanta are close - 250 miles is close , maybe for people that dont get out of their hometown it might seem like an epic journey( i remember being at a show in South Atlanta years ago and a customer asked if i would be at the next show and i mentioned that i would be at another show on the north side of Atlanta in a couple weeks - his jaw dropped as he spoke " Man ,thats too far for me".

4. back when I put on shows in the 90`s i wouldnt put one on a date that conflicted with another show if the show was within 2-3 hours drive , and my shows were small one day events with 30 tables

5. basically i`ts just a better scenario for both Wizard and heroes if there is a gap between the shows- cant we all just get along

Wouldn't be too hard, IMO.

The prices for Heroes tix (although the guest list is great) is incredibly high. In CBG they are advertising 4-day(?) passes for $75, $85 at the door! 893whatthe.gif

How much are the Wizard shows? San Diego?