• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard World Atlanta - Heroes Con--- same weekend

56 posts in this topic

whoa. are you serious? Those are the prices for tix? That's outrageous. If heroes con is charging that much, then competition is warranted from Wizard.

Unless I'm getting it confused with another big-time Atlanta show in September, those are the prices! tongue.gif

And I'm not sure why we're all suddenly worried that there are two major shows on the same date

Because they're so close (250 miles) that two shows on the same weekend would actually matter and because it's Wizard vs. The (popular) Little Guy. People perceive this (rightly, I think) as Wizard trying to bury Heroes Con.

Wouldn't be too hard, IMO.

The prices for Heroes tix (although the guest list is great) is incredibly high. In CBG they are advertising 4-day(?) passes for $75, $85 at the door! 893whatthe.gif

How much are the Wizard shows? San Diego?

No idea on SD. WW is $45 for 3-day.

Rob:

I Where should this con go... October? or perhaps April?

April used to be the time of the 2 day Atlanta comicon ( which is now defunct)-- that sounds like a nice slot to me -- but wal-mart world -er- wizard world didnt ask me --did they --

I understand your points from the dealer perspective, and yes for a national quality show you are splitting up the attendees and the guests and thus the $. 250 miles, that's what 4 hours apart. If you consider that "close" then I think you and I have differing definitons on close. Nor of course, is it an epic journey either.

It's not as if Charlotte and Atlanta so super close together... so perhaps it will bring in a different audience. Regardless... I would rather leave this up to the promoters themselves... I don't favor one show over another. And I'm not sure why we're all suddenly worried that there are two major shows on the same date.

1. My main problem is that i set up at a few conventions as a dealer & as a collector had been excited about a wizardworld in Atlanta and now you have the dealers and potential customers split up between 2 shows

2. as of now i probably wouldnt set up as a dealer at either because both will be weaker shows with the scheduling conflict

3. Charlotte and Atlanta are close - 250 miles is close , maybe for people that dont get out of their hometown it might seem like an epic journey( i remember being at a show in South Atlanta years ago and a customer asked if i would be at the next show and i mentioned that i would be at another show on the north side of Atlanta in a couple weeks - his jaw dropped as he spoke " Man ,thats too far for me".

4. back when I put on shows in the 90`s i wouldnt put one on a date that conflicted with another show if the show was within 2-3 hours drive , and my shows were small one day events with 30 tables

5. basically i`ts just a better scenario for both Wizard and heroes if there is a gap between the shows- cant we all just get along

I understand your points from the dealer perspective, and yes for a national quality show you are splitting up the attendees and the guests and thus the $. 250 miles, that's what 4 hours apart. If you consider that "close" then I think you and I have differing definitons on close. Nor of course, is it an epic journey either.

I`m not saying its that close -- but some areas dont have a local convention every month or two to keep things going and when the big yearly event comes around everyone flocks to it -- we have 2 shows a year in Nashville -- you want a convention -- you hit the road to Atlanta , Charlotte , Columbus or Chicago --- there are a few one day shows closer ( thats how i put a chunk of 225,000 miles on my van) but having 2 major shows in the same region and on the same date -- ???????????

it's hard for me to argue the logic because you're right, it makes no f--kin' sense.

I`m not saying its that close -- but some areas dont have a local convention every month or two to keep things going and when the big yearly event comes around everyone flocks to it -- we have 2 shows a year in Nashville -- you want a convention -- you hit the road to Atlanta , Charlotte , Columbus or Chicago --- there are a few one day shows closer ( thats how i put a chunk of 225,000 miles on my van) but having 2 major shows in the same region and on the same date -- ???????????

I just checked online, a 3 day pass for Heroes is $20.

http://www.heroesonline.com/con-tickets.htm

I guess I got confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

Is the Dragon-Con in Atlanta? Maybe it's that show??? I'll check my CBG tonight.

probably dragon con -- i remember paying like $25 for a single day several years ago -- and havent been back since -- too much of a sci-fi , fantasy con for me -( not that there`s anything wrong with that ) - comics seemed like they were only 30% of the booths when i went -- more swords and chainmail than books

Look at the map guys, larger cities are more spread out down here in the south.

A significant % of the dealers who set up at Heroes Con are from Georgia (including me). Charlotte is considered "close" to Atlanta.

Atlanta could support a larger show. We currently have about 4 one day shows a year. Atlanta Comic Con which was cancelled for this year did not survive for several reasons (a whole different topic). I think WWA would help comics industry here. I don't know enough about Dragon Con to comment. The last time I was there was 1999 and it was 60-40 sci-fi/comics. I've heard now that the comic guys are in the own level @ $400 per 6 ft table.

However, I don't see why both shows have to be the same weekend. With intent or not I think it is a mistake. Shelton is a top notch promoter and if forced to make a decision, I would go to Heroes Con to set up. I'm sure they wouldn't schedule for the same dates next year.

This year Heroes Con charged $20 for a 3 day pass and you got a limited James Jean print. I would think it would be the same for next year.

I'm thinking now that there is no way WWA would go through with those dates. Could they?

While I agree with the argument that Wizard should not be attempting to bring down the Heroes Con, I have to say that I am very excited about WW bringing a con to the Southeast.

Last year, I went to WW Texas. It was the closest con to me, at about a 4 1/2 hour drive. Now, I live approximately an hour and half from Atlanta. And I was originally upset with the fact that WW did not have an Atlanta show, which I thought was a perfect location. Sadly, I will probably attend WW Atl over the Hero Con, simply because I don't want to drive 6 hours to Charlotte.

confused-smiley-013.gif

None of this is to the point. The issues are

1) Heroes Con is a LONG established, exceptionally fan-friendly show that is very local-flavored.

2) Shelton Drum, the promoter, asked Wizard flat out if there was going to be any conflict with the dates for the proposed Wizard show. He was told no, there wouldn't be any conflict.

3) WW Atlanta was then scheduled directly against Heroes, which had already been scheduled. Coincidence? I don't think so. Wizard's convention model has always been Microsoft's - either buy the competitor or undercut them to the point where they get out.

David, meet Goliath.

Interesting info Dan, and definitely valuable to know that Wizard explicitly told Heroes Con promoter that they were NOT going to schedule the Wizard show in direct competition and then DID IT.

Perhaps Wizard will change their minds... but perhaps Wizard is willing to eat for one year just to drive Heroes Con out.

If Wizard can do it better, with a better guest list etc., I have to say let them try... maybe it will be a better show than Heroes Con -- who knows.

Interesting info Dan, and definitely valuable to know that Wizard explicitly told Heroes Con promoter that they were NOT going to schedule the Wizard show in direct competition and then DID IT.

Perhaps Wizard will change their minds... but perhaps Wizard is willing to eat for one year just to drive Heroes Con out.

If Wizard can do it better, with a better guest list etc., I have to say let them try... maybe it will be a better show than Heroes Con -- who knows.

BK, but why make the comics community choose? Heroe's and WWA could both be done and done succesfully if scheduled a little bit apart.

A dealers decision to doing a show is "Will I make money"?

I've done two Heroes Con's. I like Shelton. He's asked me to come back to the show a number of times. The reason I don't go back is because every year the same thing happens. He says he will advertise, this year will be different and the end result is the same, lower sales.

Demographics and income are a big thing when you factor in hotel, food, driving, table costs etc. If my sales aren't 10X expenses then the show is borderline and isn't worth my time since I can sit in my comfy office and give the same discount without travel. Charlotte is a show that requires you to give big discounts for little money. Not my idea of a good show. While Atlanta has the allure of a growing state, "lot's of money" to be made I never heard dealers say that Dragon Con was a good show. And Wizard shows typically draw Wizard customers, not Silver age customers.

So... here's my question Bob... what are the "good" shows outside of San Diego and Chicago?

The National (in New York) I've generally heard dealers report favorable things (the Big Apples are generally fairly even for many dealers, some good, some bad)... what else? I know Pittsburgh resulted in a rapid decline... and then Boston as a city for comics is hit or miss. Wizard LA has been good... I've heard Wondercon is pretty decent. You seem to have done well at Wizard Philly.

But if you were going to really rave about a show outside of San Diego and Chicago... which ones would they be?

Top $$$ shows for me as a dealer. If I feel the reason the show is lousy because of the promoter I'll note it.

San Diego

Wizard Chicago

Wizard LA

WonderCon - I already do 2 West coast shows but would do this show if I had the vacation time

New York BAP

Mini Chicago show run by Motor City

Marginal Shows

Baltimore

Boston - Very hit or miss on sales

Flat out will not do

Pittsburgh - Eides Wins, promoter loses

Detroit

Mega Con

Any Las Vegas show run by Paul Martinez

Show I would do but family obligations prevent it

Mid Ohio Con

Heard you are going MIA for Baltimore this year Bob... Big Apple is cool and all, but I like the show and venue at Baltimore so much better, like catching a ballgame and just wandering to the guest which is very cool. Obviously, from the dealer standpoint, I can't comment, but I have to agree that I've never heard of it being a bonanza of sales for dealers, although I haven't heard complaints either.

Strange you mentioned Wizard LA... I can't remember who it was, but I think it was Al Stoltz who mentioned that he didn't think Wizard LA was a great show from what he could see (I don't recall him telling me actually set up though...) could have been another dealer though.

Every dealer based on his/her inventory will give a different opinion of what their best shows are. Cost/convenience/driving time/Sales/customer base will all influence an opinion of the show.

I like West Coast shows, I'd go back more often but they consume a lot of vacation time and transporting my inventory back and forth across the country is an additional cost.

However, I've bought two booths for San Diego next year. That's how well I've done at San Diego over the last 5 years.

As far as being MIA in Baltimore I'm on the fence for this show. I just feel that the Pittsburgh/Maryland/Charlotte Convention circuit is weak based on my sales versus expense. When I have to discount 25% + expenses to do the show I vote to stay home and make money. And my website generates more sales than any show I do on a monthly basis.

If you are bringing some DC silver keys, perhaps I will plunk down some real $ if you come to Baltimore... of course, if you have some interesting keys, i guess I'd just order them off the website, so I guess my $ is probably no incentive to come as you need me (let's say $1000) x a lot of other people)...

I guess I'll spend the $ with Ted or Chris Foss from Heroes and Dragons... got to find those books somewhere.

I understand the $ factored in as to what are the "best" shows or not... I want to go out to SD because it sounds like such a blast, but I'd like to get some people to go out there with me... because my west coast friends could give a rat's a** about comics.