• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What to do with this Skanky Ebay Seller?
1 1

74 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I dunno. There are a handful of whiny, entitled, immensely presumptuous serial complainers on this board, who imagine they're in a position to psychoanalyze people on the internet, and who pester moderation and administration about everything they can think of, behaving as if they're glorified CGC board hall monitors. This seller may not be deserving of such an extreme punishment.

:eek:

Relisting without disclosing the known damage..... definitely deserving!

Glad I am not on the receiving end of your bad side RMA! :smirk:

7 minutes ago, Crops068 said:

Relisting without disclosing the known damage..... definitely deserving!

Glad I am not on the receiving end of your bad side RMA! :smirk:

Ok, I'm convinced. Bad side...?

aff4b9281752f83e5b8b8ed22bbe16ecd6c87586

PS. I reported the re-list.

Selling a book that is missing pages and chunks like that...it really could be an honest mistake. It's not likely, but hey, it could happen. Some buyers/sellers never open their books at all, and don't grade anything beyond the front cover. Sad but true.

BUT, relisting the book after the problems have been brought to light, is extremely shady, and worth being brought to everyone's attention.

1 hour ago, iggykoopa said:

I was going to say just accept the return and move on... but when you said he relisted with the EXACT same description that's when I changed my mind. Other buyers need to be warned about the type of seller that he is. Negative bomb incoming!

Couldn't have said it any better. 

3 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I contacted him and his only reply was "we take returns". No oops, no apology, no nothing. So I filed on him. He of course waited until the last day to respond and waited to the last day to refund me. The next day, I see the book back up with the original description and price with no mention of the defects. What a tool!

Look, I'm on board with what everyone else is saying.  If this happens once, I can give the seller the benefit of the doubt and assume he genuinely didn't know better.  As long as he accepts a return, fine.  BUT...when the significant flaw is brought to his attention, any future relists should certainly mention/show that flaw.

My issue is with the part bolded above.  He told you he'd accept the return and it didn't sound like he'd fight you on it.  But since he didn't apologize, offer an explanation, or beg for your forgiveness, you took it upon yourself to penalize him by filing a claim via ebay?  Why?  Sure, a quality seller would apologize for the trouble without thinking twice.  The apology is a courtesy and shows class, but it's not a necessity.  Taking it upon yourself to "punish" the guy for a perceived slight is probably what caused the guy to drag his feet.  You guys both ended up in a combative mood for no real reason. 

If he gave you any type of resistance, then I'd say file a claim and let ebay side in your favor.  As it was, I'd have asked him to initiate a return, boxed the book up, and sent it back.  If everything goes through without a hitch, he gets a positive feedback saying "Book arrived with problems.  Seller refunded quickly" or something along those lines. 

As for right now, I'd probably contact him and ask him if he plans on amending the description now that he knows the flaws.  His answer would tell me what feedback I'd leave. 

2 hours ago, Turtle said:

Look, I'm on board with what everyone else is saying.  If this happens once, I can give the seller the benefit of the doubt and assume he genuinely didn't know better.  As long as he accepts a return, fine.  BUT...when the significant flaw is brought to his attention, any future relists should certainly mention/show that flaw.

My issue is with the part bolded above.  He told you he'd accept the return and it didn't sound like he'd fight you on it.  But since he didn't apologize, offer an explanation, or beg for your forgiveness, you took it upon yourself to penalize him by filing a claim via ebay?  Why?  Sure, a quality seller would apologize for the trouble without thinking twice.  The apology is a courtesy and shows class, but it's not a necessity.  Taking it upon yourself to "punish" the guy for a perceived slight is probably what caused the guy to drag his feet.  You guys both ended up in a combative mood for no real reason. 

If he gave you any type of resistance, then I'd say file a claim and let ebay side in your favor.  As it was, I'd have asked him to initiate a return, boxed the book up, and sent it back.  If everything goes through without a hitch, he gets a positive feedback saying "Book arrived with problems.  Seller refunded quickly" or something along those lines. 

As for right now, I'd probably contact him and ask him if he plans on amending the description now that he knows the flaws.  His answer would tell me what feedback I'd leave. 

I’m not asking anybody to get down on his knees or kiss the ring. If I were the seller, I would show a little humility and apologize for MY mistake. I would also at least to offer to pay return postage. Because it is the right thing to do. I filed on him because he was hoping I’d pay the postage for HIS mistake. Plus, I didn’t appreciate his curt reply. If he had he would probably get no feedback or maybe even a positive. Dragging his heels out of spite would earn him a neutral. Immediately, relisting it without even having it back knowing from my photos that it was incomplete will earn him a negative. And I will be a tool and wait a while to do it...

Oh, I paid $40. For it. His opening bid. Sad part is, it wasn’t the money. I really wanted this book and haven’t seen a copy for sale for many years. So this guy just got my hopes up and cost me an unecessary trip to the post office. 

A little courtesy and honesty goes a long way...

2 hours ago, misterrmystery said:

There's no way he could have missed the cutout panels. Looks brittle by the spine too. The fact that he listed it again with the same description means he's unscrupulous and deserving of a negative feedback. Can you provide his Ebay ID so we can avoid him?

His eBay ID is bmcloseouts. Avoid him. I’m only sorry I can’t get him suspended for relisting a defective book that he knew about when he did it.

3 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Selling a book that is missing pages and chunks like that...it really could be an honest mistake. It's not likely, but hey, it could happen. Some buyers/sellers never open their books at all, and don't grade anything beyond the front cover. Sad but true.

BUT, relisting the book after the problems have been brought to light, is extremely shady, and worth being brought to everyone's attention.

Could have been an “honest” mistake I guess. Not everybody is so anal as to do a page count and note defects like this. I actually prefer the term “sloppy” and not caring in this case. Relisting it, now knowing is far worse than “sloppy”

1 minute ago, Robot Man said:

Could have been an “honest” mistake I guess. Not everybody is so anal as to do a page count and note defects like this. I actually prefer the term “sloppy” and not caring in this case. Relisting it, now knowing is far worse than “sloppy”

I just checked the listing which is up on his site now. No interior pictures and he described the book as fair. Dishonest!

he should have mentioned it but actually on a fair grade it can be missing panels

FAIR 1.5 TO 1.0

1.5 FAIR / GOOD

1.0 FAIR

This book has seen much better days and tends to be heavily worn and tattered.

A copy of a comic in this grade has all pages and most of the covers.

A book in this condition is worn, ragged and unattractive.

Heavy creases and folds are prevalent.

Paper quality can be very low.

The spine and/or cover may be completely split.

Staples may be missing.

Coupons cut from cover and or inside pages. Panels can be clipped out.

Parts of the front cover may be missing.

Soiling, staining, tears, markings or chunks missing will interfere with reading.

Brittleness may be a factor.

Extensive amounts of tape are acceptable on the comic in these grades.

8 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I recently won this book on ebay. (I was the only bidder). The usual, "I am not a professional grader" and "look at the pictures" (two) to grade. His feedback was OK, he seemed to sell comics as well as other stuff, and I really wanted the book. Normally, I would have passed. With Paypal's stance on returns, I took a chance. It looked OK until I got into it. Panels missing on two pages and a page torn out.

I contacted him and his only reply was "we take returns". No oops, no apology, no nothing. So I filed on him. He of course waited until the last day to respond and waited to the last day to refund me. The next day, I see the book back up with the original description and price with no mention of the defects. What a tool!

Now the feedback question. If he had been apologic or showed some humanity and sent me a prompt refund probably a positive or maybe nothing. without the relist, maybe a neutral, but trying to scan another guy probably a strong neg. If so, what should I say? What do you think?

Also, is there anyway, I can get ebay to take down the auction of suspend him for falsely representing his goods? It just doesn't seem right.

Really suks as I have been looking for this book for years...

comfamousfunnies27.jpg

comfamousfunnies27a.jpg

comfamousfunnies27b.jpg

And you paid how much for this book featuring a historic first photo cover> A relatively rare book from 1936, published a full two years preceding Action #1?  Paid price please? Just for the record?

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

His eBay ID is bmcloseouts. Avoid him. I’m only sorry I can’t get him suspended for relisting a defective book that he knew about when he did it.

Leave a neutral or a negative with an accurate assessment of the problem.  Something like "Seller sold comic with undisclosed missing pieces, honored return but then relisted without disclosing those missing pieces.  Avoid".  

You'll warn future prospective buyers of his ethical challenges and god knows, perhaps the seller will learn something.  And hey, let's be real here, telling people that the comic is incomplete could prevent a buyer from returning it in the future and save not only the buyer but the seller grief.  The only reason not to provide such information is to avoid selling it for a little less.

Edited by thehumantorch

7 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

And you paid how much for this book featuring a historic first photo cover> A relatively rare book from 1936, published a full two years preceding Action #1?  Paid price please? Just for the record?

Robotman paid $40 as posted above on this page.

8 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I recently won this book on ebay. (I was the only bidder). The usual, "I am not a professional grader" and "look at the pictures" (two) to grade. His feedback was OK, he seemed to sell comics as well as other stuff, and I really wanted the book. Normally, I would have passed. With Paypal's stance on returns, I took a chance. It looked OK until I got into it. Panels missing on two pages and a page torn out.

Now the feedback question. If he had been apologic or showed some humanity and sent me a prompt refund probably a positive or maybe nothing. without the relist, maybe a neutral, but trying to scan another guy probably a strong neg. If so, what should I say? What do you think?

Also, is there anyway, I can get ebay to take down the auction of suspend him for falsely representing his goods? It just doesn't seem right.

Really suks as I have been looking for this book for years...

comfamousfunnies27.jpg

comfamousfunnies27a.jpg

comfamousfunnies27b.jpg

Let's take a step back and look at this analytically.

It's a 1936 comic. A historic and important one. First photo cover.

It's the only one on ebay. Even now, with the relist, it's the only one. The same one.

It's the only one offered on ebay going back as far as I can see, which is 3 months (Feb 18th). No other FF 27s listed, completed, or sold, except for this one.

You paid a total of $42.50 for this. You couldn't find another one on ebay now, even if you were willing to spend $4250. But you only paid $42.50.

This type of rarity for $42.50, IMO, should not be upsetting, in fact, ask yourself this. Would $42.50 be enough to purchase a CGC 6.0 Star Wars #1? Then reconsider being upset to any extent with this excellent purchase, even with the missing panels.

6 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

Robotman paid $40 as posted above on this page.

$42.50 with the postage. 1st photo cover. 1936. Where can he get another one. I just looked. Even Heritage doesn't have one available and certainly ebay doesn't.

How many graded copies of this are there?

Edited by James J Johnson