• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What to do with this Skanky Ebay Seller?
1 1

74 posts in this topic

I want to point out that this is what this thread reads as when you are logging on to the boards... that is all. 

Screen Shot 2019-05-14 at 8.44.47 PM.png

Looks like 4 copies graded by CGC since 2011 on the GP charts. That's 1 every two years on average. I wouldn't be so quick to get rid of this book for $42.50, missing panels or not, unless there's a source for more of them, which I am unable to find. .

I didn't want it at any price. My choice. And after this seller's snarky attitude, I still don't want it. Who is to say he didn't know and hoped somebody would just keep it without saying anything. By the way, it was also missing at least one full page as well out of the Buck Rogers story. Might be more, I didn't page count at that point.

Tell you what James. If it's such a great deal, it's up for grabs and thanks to me you have an honest assesment of what you are buying. You buy it. Some people in this hobby would buy a book from the Devil if the price is right.

He will be negged before this auction ends. I just want him to wonder a while...

9 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I didn't want it at any price. My choice. And after this seller's snarky attitude, I still don't want it. Who is to say he didn't know and hoped somebody would just keep it without saying anything. By the way, it was also missing at least one full page as well out of the Buck Rogers story. Might be more, I didn't page count at that point.

Tell you what James. If it's such a great deal, it's up for grabs and thanks to me you have an honest assesment of what you are buying. You buy it. Some people in this hobby would buy a book from the Devil if the price is right.

He will be negged before this auction ends. I just want him to wonder a while...

Insults? For opining that due to rarity, it's not a bad deal at all.

If I collected pre-super-hero GA and had an eye out for FF 27, knowing that I couldn't find another one for love of money, I'd buy it. Keep it until I upgraded. I tried to put it into perspective for you. Ebayers pay $42.50 for a Tonfulle-84 Stan Lee forgery on a bargain box G/VG comic. Point was that for what you bought, it was a smart purchase. You have a good eye for rarity. It's a piece of history. First photo cover. That was my point of lending advice. You didn't buy the garbage that you thought you bought, it's a nice piece for the money for someone looking for that book that will not find another one easily. That's all. No need to attack me and tell me that I'd sell my soul to the Devil for this or that. I didn't buy the book. You did. hm

Edited by James J Johnson

24 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

$42.50 with the postage. 1st photo cover. 1936. Where can he get another one. I just looked. Even Heritage doesn't have one available and certainly ebay doesn't.

How many graded copies of this are there?

It doesn't matter how valuable this book is or how rare.  Disclosing large defects that aren't visible in the auction images is just good business.  

2 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

It doesn't matter how valuable this book is or how rare.  Disclosing large defects that aren't visible in the auction images is just good business.  

Sure it's good to disclose. But not every ebay seller does. In this case, weighing nothing else other than the item purchased and the price paid, Robot made a decent purchase, he certainly was not done out of anything, missing panels and all, but that's my opinion and he doesn't share it. So he's going to return it and neg the seller, which is his choice. 

For reference:

$42.00

https://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-MIGHTY-AVENGERS-241-SIGNED-STAN-LEE-MORGAN-LE-FEY-COVER-KEY-NICE-L-K-/132957074275?nma=true&si=U62yaoeFqpZI%2BK5ZqeqA4tEijiU%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557 

Bargain box Avengers 241 with a hideous Stan Lee forgery.

vs. $42.00 for the first photo cover, 1936 comic, 4 copies graded in the past 8 years, no others currently available on the net (that I can find).

Perspective. Just putting things in perspective, which is often overlooked.

18 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Insults? For opining that due to rarity, it's not a bad deal at all.

If I collected pre-super-hero GA and had an eye out for FF 27, knowing that I couldn't find another one for love of money, I'd buy it. Keep it until I upgraded. I tried to put it into perspective for you. Ebayers pay $42.50 for a Tonfulle-84 Stan Lee forgery on a bargain box G/VG comic. Point was that for what you bought, it was a smart purchase. You have a good eye for rarity. It's a piece of history. First photo cover. That was my point of lending advice. You didn't buy the garbage that you thought you bought, it's a nice piece for the money for someone looking for that book that will not find another one easily. That's all. No need to attack me and tell me that I'd sell my soul to the Devil for this or that. I didn't buy the book. You did. hm

I have collected GA comics since before Overstreet. I am well aware of what you are saying. I thought about keeping it but the cover and the Buck Rogers story is why I wanted it. Is it tough, sure, do I want to support a slimy seller? No. That is why I returned it. It wasn't a book that I would lose sleep over not having. I actually know of another one I might pursue. It will cost me probably guide which is a good deal. Deal or no deal, it's a personal choice that I made and I can sleep fine without it.

Sorry to jump you. My comment wasn't meant for you. It was meant that there are people in this hobby who would put their principles aside for the right deal. Is that you? I don't know and it really isn't any of my business anyway. My apologies if you took it that way. :foryou:

There might be somebody out there that can live with the deal and the seller. That is up to them. It just ain't me...

12 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Sure it's good to disclose. But not every ebay seller does. In this case, weighing nothing else other than the item purchased and the price paid, Robot made a decent purchase, he certainly was not done out of anything, missing panels and all, but that's my opinion and he doesn't share it. So he's going to return it and neg the seller, which is his choice. 

It has been returned and the seller is going to be negged because he is KNOWINGLY selling an incomplete book without disclosing it.

Just now, Robot Man said:

I have collected GA comics since before Overstreet. I am well aware of what you are saying. I thought about keeping it but the cover and the Buck Rogers story is why I wanted it. Is it tough, sure, do I want to support a slimy seller? No. That is why I returned it. It wasn't a book that I would lose sleep over not having. I actually know of another one I might pursue. It will cost me probably guide which is a good deal. Deal or no deal, it's a personal choice that I made and I can sleep fine without it.

Sorry to jump you. My comment wasn't meant for you. It was meant that there are people in this hobby who would put their principles aside for the right deal. Is that you? I don't know and it really isn't any of my business anyway. My apologies if you took it that way. :foryou:

There might be somebody out there that can live with the deal and the seller. That is up to them. It just ain't me...

I can tell. It's a real collector's comic. A piece of history. I assumed you've been in this game for a long time, you usually don't see hobbyists walking around conventions with a want list of Modern age sketch cover comics looking for the rarities like this. Do you have the Frazetta cover FFs? Those are incredible covers!

16 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

As a matter of fact, yes. I love them. One of the best run of covers ever produced. I would highly recomend seeking them out even in low grade. A slight challenge but way cooler than any Avengers 241 or even the FF 27 (thumbsu

comfrazettacovers.jpg

Decades spent, just trying to locate the right copies. The real deal when it comes to collecting. And infinitely more satisfying on the rare and all too few occasions when finally another piece can be added to fill that vacant slot.

(worship)

2 hours ago, James J Johnson said:
2 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

If an ebay seller doesn't disclose serious hidden defects he risks returns and the buyer loses money returning the item and the seller risks negative feedback as a result.  This thread is a picture perfect example.

How you or I value the book doesn't matter.  Robot bought the book and he wasn't happy with an incomplete copy.  Perhaps he doesn't collect incomplete books, perhaps it didn't meet his minimum grade, perhaps he does research or provides data to Grand Comics Database and required a complete copy.

13 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I’m not asking anybody to get down on his knees or kiss the ring. If I were the seller, I would show a little humility and apologize for MY mistake. I would also at least to offer to pay return postage. Because it is the right thing to do. I filed on him because he was hoping I’d pay the postage for HIS mistake. Plus, I didn’t appreciate his curt reply. If he had he would probably get no feedback or maybe even a positive. Dragging his heels out of spite would earn him a neutral. Immediately, relisting it without even having it back knowing from my photos that it was incomplete will earn him a negative. And I will be a tool and wait a while to do it...

Oh, I paid $40. For it. His opening bid. Sad part is, it wasn’t the money. I really wanted this book and haven’t seen a copy for sale for many years. So this guy just got my hopes up and cost me an unecessary trip to the post office. 

A little courtesy and honesty goes a long way...

The bolded part above is certainly a valid reason to file a claim with ebay.  If there is an undisclosed issue with an item and the buyer wishes to return the item because of it, the buyer should be made whole.  I'd say the return shipping is a cheap lesson in careful listing on ebay.  If he fought you on that, then a claim is certainly warranted and my initial response would have been much different. 

I think that if you led with the postage issue and followed up with "also, he wasn't very polite in his response", everyone would have been on board.  Instead, the postage issue was completely omitted from the opening post and the reason given for the claim is:

I contacted him and his only reply was "we take returns". No oops, no apology, no nothing. So I filed on him

This certainly gives the impression that you filed a claim out of spite for his lack of humility and class.  This is further reinforced by your follow-up comment:

13 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Immediately, relisting it without even having it back knowing from my photos that it was incomplete will earn him a negative. And I will be a tool and wait a while to do it...

I'm getting the impression that you're the type to exact your own personal form in "justice" to correct perceived injustices in the world.  Since you asked what you should do with this seller, my answer is this: take the high road.  Don't bring yourself to his level.  Based on the information presented, the seller doesn't seem especially honorable.  He gave you a refund and now you're only out the time you've spent on this.  Send him a message and ask if he plans to correct the listing in light of new information.  If he does, leave a positive feedback with only facts in the description and decide whether or not you wish to block him.  If he doesn't, leave a negative feedback with only facts in the description.  Share his name, block him, and move on. 

That's what I'd do with this "Skanky Ebay Seller".

I have to agree with most that you should leave a neg with a comment about that to help other potential buyers know about this as it could of been maybe he missed the cutout but that fact that you told him about it and re listed it without disclosing the cut out you told him deserves the neg.