• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What to do with this Skanky Ebay Seller?
1 1

74 posts in this topic

On 5/14/2019 at 3:14 PM, Turtle said:

He told you he'd accept the return and it didn't sound like he'd fight you on it.  But since he didn't apologize, offer an explanation, or beg for your forgiveness, you took it upon yourself to penalize him by filing a claim via ebay?  Why?

Unfortunately, the only way to safely get a return on eBay these days is to go through their "File a claim" system.  IIRC, even if you simply click the "I want to contact the seller", the option for "Item not as described" AUTOMATICALLY files the claim... even if you simply wanted to talk it out with the seller.

I get your points about exacting revenge as not a good reason for filing a claim... however, the claim process may have been inevitable.

On 5/14/2019 at 11:10 AM, Robot Man said:

Now the feedback question. If he had been apologic or showed some humanity and sent me a prompt refund probably a positive or maybe nothing. without the relist, maybe a neutral, but trying to scan another guy probably a strong neg. If so, what should I say? What do you think?

Also, is there anyway, I can get ebay to take down the auction of suspend him for falsely representing his goods? It just doesn't seem right.

EVERYONE is telling you to leave a negative here.  Not one person has disagreed.  However, have you contacted the seller again to ask him why he has misrepresented the book in the new listing?  Have you given him a chance to make the listing right?  It is possible that the seller simply auto-relisted the book and forgot to change the description.  It's also possible that he's purposefully misrepresenting the comic.

Unless you have the answer to that question (or if the seller outright ignores that request), I wouldn't feel comfortable with leaving him a negative.  You've already outed the seller here on the boards, so people are more than free to decide on their own if they want to add him to their own block lists.  However, IMO, giving the seller the chance to make the listing right should be your first move.  (Afterall, part of the goal here may be to help protect the next buyer.)

His response can then dictate what you do from there.

What exactly are you giving him a negative for? He sold you a book. You returned it (although I'm not sure how he managed to not have to pay for shipping - if you go through eBay's system he's paying for shipping). He gave you your money back. Your transaction ended.

You can only give him a negative on your transaction. You cannot give him a negative on a different transaction. Leaving him a negative for selling the book again without disclosing it is missing pieces is something I'm not sure will stick. Guarantee if you do that the guy will complain and get it removed.

46 minutes ago, masterlogan2000 said:

Unfortunately, the only way to safely get a return on eBay these days is to go through their "File a claim" system.  IIRC, even if you simply click the "I want to contact the seller", the option for "Item not as described" AUTOMATICALLY files the claim... even if you simply wanted to talk it out with the seller.

I get your points about exacting revenge as not a good reason for filing a claim... however, the claim process may have been inevitable.

Before filing a claim, ebay makes their philosophy very clear in their language concerning an issue with a seller, about what they would advise a buyer to do. "Have you tried to work this out with your seller. Often, a problem can easily be resolved without having to.... etc., etc., etc. and so forth". They would prefer that if a kink can be ironed out between buyer and seller, try that first, before asking ebay to intervene, which many times would be unnecessary if the firstand basic route of communicating was tried for both parites to reach an amicable solution. Ebay goes on to make it clear that if that effort to work it out fails, they stand ready to help and then, call on them to do so. 

This sounds very logical to me. If I bought a pool filter at a retain outlet, got it home, plugged it in, and it didn't work despite my efforts to check and double check connections that all was good other than the motor being defective, I wouldn't call the state AGs office and BBB to file complaints and seek remedy unless I already tried to return the machine for refund or replacement and they told me to get lost, basically, "seek your own remedy, you'll get no help from us here, forget you and your $300 purchase, you can eat your receipt for all we care". If I brought it back the next day, and they either gave me a refund or replaced it with one that works, that's the end of it.

This is the same thing ebay wants their buyers and sellers to do. Try to find a solution among themselves before asking for their help, which may be unnecessary as well as jumping the gun.

23 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

I want to point out that this is what this thread reads as when you are logging on to the boards... that is all. 

Screen Shot 2019-05-14 at 8.44.47 PM.png

Almost 3 million posts! I'm not only immortal now but a few hundred thousand more and I surpass Greggy's record. I better get busy if I'm going to close the gap.

2 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

You can only give him a negative on your transaction. You cannot give him a negative on a different transaction. Leaving him a negative for selling the book again without disclosing it is missing pieces is something I'm not sure will stick. Guarantee if you do that the guy will complain and get it removed.

+1  It's also against the rules to cross feedback. If you have a gripe about one transaction and decide to vent it on a feedback from an unrelated item. Plus, it won't stick, as you've stated.

6 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

Plus the seller states it is in "Fair" condition - here are CGC 1.0s. I'll bet if you got the Famous Funnies 27 it would come back as a 1.0.

Might an option be for CGC to qualify it with a green label 3.0 or 3.5, mentioning the missing panels? Sort of the same case as comics with binder holes?

I don't often leave negative feedback, but in this case I'd make an exception. 

What really gets me is the fact that the seller is trying to resell it without changing the description. At the very least, they should alert potential buyers to the fact that it's incomplete. There really is no excuse for this kind of behavior...

5 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Before filing a claim, ebay makes their philosophy very clear in their language concerning an issue with a seller, about what they would advise a buyer to do. "Have you tried to work this out with your seller. Often, a problem can easily be resolved without having to.... etc., etc., etc. and so forth". They would prefer that if a kink can be ironed out between buyer and seller, try that first, before asking ebay to intervene, which many times would be unnecessary if the firstand basic route of communicating was tried for both parites to reach an amicable solution. Ebay goes on to make it clear that if that effort to work it out fails, they stand ready to help and then, call on them to do so. 

5 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

This is the same thing ebay wants their buyers and sellers to do. Try to find a solution among themselves before asking for their help, which may be unnecessary as well as jumping the gun. 

I don't think this is in dispute.  In fact, it is in eBay's best interest to have the buyer and seller work something out, as they then get to keep their commission.

However, when a full refund and return is the agreed upon path (which was the case here), eBay practically requires that the buyer file a return claim.  Only through the claim process can the buyer guarantee, with the support and backing of eBay, that they will get their money back.  (Seller protection is another story and quite laughable, but I won't go into details here).

image.thumb.png.4465c585e21ffadc17d7174874ba6c77.png

Make no mistake about the verbiage in the above screenshot.  "Just request a refund" is the first step of the claims process.

Edited by masterlogan2000

Saw this listed again on the bay for the 4th time! This time he comes clean. Just a little. Still real misleading. Hope one of you wern’t the latest victim of this tool. Forgot to leave him some well deserved feed back. Perhaps this is the time...