Lets give a shout out to some Mail-Carriers
1 1

50 posts in this topic

8,040 posts

Mine will often comment on my Super-Hero shirts, be it a Star-War's tee or the like, I don't often wear them lol 

I've told him I was going to a comic-con or such, he seemed genuinely interested, asked about who will be there and wished me well....

He always says, "Hey, buddy!" lol I'm not so much for buddy lol but he is nice, although usually he has earphones with a mic and is talking to someone on the phone with them.

SO he can't always respond, but usually pauses his activity to wish me well and ask how I'm doing :foryou:  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
646 posts

My mail-carrier pulled into the driveway on a Sunday last year to deliver a package, Sunday delivery seemed odd. She gave me the rundown on the USPS-Amazon Prime deal for delivering packages on Sunday, said it was a voluntary overtime deal where they got paid hourly to deliver on Sundays. So if you get a Prime package on Sunday, thank your carrier for picking up an extra shift just for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
963 posts
31 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

I was getting a "Penthouse Forum" vibe at the beginning of the post. Still, a very nice story!

We've been in our house for 7 years, and have had so many postal carriers, I've lost track of them. I used to tip our first guy John $20 every Xmas, but after he left it has been a rotating cast of characters that seems to change every other day.

"Dear Penthouse Forum

"I never thought it would happen to me:

I got my mail on time!

lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17,793 posts

My mail guy is a real keeper. He knows I get a lot of collectibles in the mail. He always rings the bell and hands them to me or my wife. If no one answers, he takes it with him and tries again when he is done with his route. If we don’t answer, he gives it to my next door neighbor who is always home. Very friendly guy who really loves his job. I have complemented him to his post master. When it is hot, I always offer him  a bottle of water or a soft drink. He always gets a cash tip at the holidays. Never lost one on his watch.

My local post office is also great. Nice folks who I’m sure have to put up with a lot more daily abuse than I would be able to. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13,942 posts

my carrier is great. He treats me well and I treat him well. I gave him $50 for Christmas 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
893 posts

I always give my mail carrier (who's awesome) a $20 gift certificate every Xmas. I'd give her more, but someone told me that they're not allowed to accept more than that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41,786 posts

I had the worlds bestest mailman when I lived on Long Island.  A bit of a gossip but he went out of the way to help many people.  One year, after a heavy snow, he came back and shoveled the driveway of the old lady across the street. One morning, I see his mail truck pull up very early for him. I open the door and he has a very special delivery. He had found my dog wandering over a mile away and I didn't even know he was missing. He stopped his route to bring my dog home. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41,786 posts
1 minute ago, Gaard said:

I always give my mail carrier (who's awesome) a $20 gift certificate every Xmas. I'd give her more, but someone told me that they're not allowed to accept more than that.

I was told they can't accept a gift valued at more than $20-25 dollars and no cash. I think multiple gifts  spread over several days might work if one were so inclined.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,704 posts
Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, shadroch said:

I was told they can't accept a gift valued at more than $20-25 dollars and no cash. I think multiple gifts  spread over several days might work if one were so inclined.

What... do they have a camera in the truck watching them open my card to them that has a $50 gift cert?  Who's going to know?

Edited by gadzukes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,704 posts
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

What do they have a camera in the truck watching them open my card to them that has a $50 gift cert?  Who's going to know?

My carrier even gave me a card at the holidays.  I thought it was sweet.

Edited by gadzukes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,308 posts
7 hours ago, F For Fake said:

I was getting a "Penthouse Forum" vibe at the beginning of the post. Still, a very nice story!

We've been in our house for 7 years, and have had so many postal carriers, I've lost track of them. I used to tip our first guy John $20 every Xmas, but after he left it has been a rotating cast of characters that seems to change every other day.

Let me try

I was sipping my morning coffee out of my black mug when I heard a light rapt on my door.

In my silk robe and nothing more I lifted my heavyset carcass off the wooden chair I sat on and made my way to the door.

"Who the f... is it" I grumbled as I clasped the brass door knob.

"Mail" I hear the soft spoken voice from the other side of an inch and a half of cedarwood.

Ted,I thought,as a confused expression ran across my face,did he quit smoking,maybe so,delivering mail was hard work and he needed those lungs.

Nevertheless,I opened the door slowly and peered through the crack I made for myself.

My confused expression quickly turned to shock and bemusement as I saw the voluptuous blonde on the other side.

Either Ted was going through a transitional phase in his life or I had gotten a new mailman...er person.

"Hi there Mr Hollywood" She sighed holding a 4 by nine cardboard bow with my name etched on the front and the words DO NOT BEND in big bold black lettering underneath.

I knew exactly what it was as our eyes meant briefly,And I knew exactly what she was selling on the other side of hers.

I watched as she leaned her outstretched arm,holding the package,towards me. With her other hand she extended her index finger and ran it across the front of the blue cotton uniform issue of the US postal service.

"This," she said as her eyes looked at the package. "Or this" with those same eyes she ran them over her breathtaking curves.

I squinted my eyes back at her and ran my index finger across the front of the robe,I was reaching,we both knew it,but there was something in the air that morning and it wasnt the aroma of my freshly brewed coffee.

I pondered for a moment. This was a once in a lifetime opportunity,I knew it.

I gripped the cardboard package in my hand and yanked it from her grasp. Curling my lips I slammed the door behind me and returned to my coffee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,704 posts
6 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Let me try

I was sipping my morning coffee out of my black mug when I heard a light rapt on my door.

In my silk robe and nothing more I lifted my heavyset carcass off the wooden chair I sat on and made my way to the door.

"Who the f... is it" I grumbled as I clasped the brass door knob.

"Mail" I hear the soft spoken voice from the other side of an inch and a half of cedarwood.

Ted,I thought,as a confused expression ran across my face,did he quit smoking,maybe so,delivering mail was hard work and he needed those lungs.

Nevertheless,I opened the door slowly and peered through the crack I made for myself.

My confused expression quickly turned to shock and bemusement as I saw the voluptuous blonde on the other side.

Either Ted was going through a transitional phase in his life or I had gotten a new mailman...er person.

"Hi there Mr Hollywood" She sighed holding a 4 by nine cardboard bow with my name etched on the front and the words DO NOT BEND in big bold black lettering underneath.

I knew exactly what it was as our eyes meant briefly,And I knew exactly what she was selling on the other side of hers.

I watched as she leaned her outstretched arm,holding the package,towards me. With her other hand she extended her index finger and ran it across the front of the blue cotton uniform issue of the US postal service.

"This," she said as her eyes looked at the package. "Or this" with those same eyes she ran them over her breathtaking curves.

I squinted my eyes back at her and ran my index finger across the front of the robe,I was reaching,we both knew it,but there was something in the air that morning and it wasnt the aroma of my freshly brewed coffee.

I pondered for a moment. This was a once in a lifetime opportunity,I knew it.

I gripped the cardboard package in my hand and yanked it from her grasp. Curling my lips I slammed the door behind me and returned to my coffee.

Are you corrupting my thread? :taptaptap: :makepoint:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,040 posts
1 minute ago, gadzukes said:

Are you corrupting my thread? :taptaptap: :makepoint:

He's got a book coming out next year that he's practicing for....

What the real question is....

How come everyone got a "like" in the thread but me :sumo:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,308 posts
2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

He's got a book coming out next year that he's practicing for....

What the real question is....

How come everyone got a "like" in the thread but me :sumo:

 

There you go my friend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,949 posts

When I lived in Tennessee, I had the same issue that some have mentioned: the revolving door of carriers.  The route seemed to change at random too.  I never had a carrier for too long and I got varying degrees of service at various times of day. 

Now I'm living in Pennsylvania and my mail carrier Andy is terrific.  He always takes great care with the packages he delivers.  We don't check our mail everyday (mailbox is a bit down the street), so he tends to go out of his way to let us know if he delivered a pickup slip that we maybe didn't know about.  He is also very reliable when it comes to porch pickup.  Previous carriers will sometimes just completely ignore my house when I've scheduled a package pickup, forcing me to make an unplanned trip to the PO after work in an effort to maintain my seller stars on Ebay.  Andy has never missed a single one.

And for some strange reason, my boys ADORE him.  You'd think he rescued them from a well or something.  When we see him drive up, we'll say "Andy's here". 

"AAAAAANNNNNNDDDDDDYYYYYY!!!" they both yell as they run to the front door.  Even when he's just driving by and they happen to be outside playing, they'll yell and wave.  He always waves back and smiles.  And if he happens to be delivering a package and they answer the door, they will tell their whole life stories to this poor guy and he's never once looked even slightly annoyed.

Andy's awesome.  I wish they could all be like him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
1 1