• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frazetta Poll

Frazetta Oils (pick 3)  

65 members have voted

1. 1. List your top Three Frank Frazetta Paintings

• Savage Pellucidar
    • Dark Kingdom
    • Vampirella
    • Silver Warrior
    • Egyptian Queen
    • Night Winds
    • Sea Witch
    • Cat Girl
    • Conan the Buccaneer
    • Conan the Berserker
    • Conan the Barbarian
    • Snow Giants
    • Conan the Destroyer
    • Princess of Mars
    • Thuvia Maid of Mars
    • Fighting Man of Mars
    • Death Dealer I
    • Death Dealer II
    • Death Dealer V
    • At Earth's Core

61 posts in this topic

Is Death Dealer really #1 as decreed on the most recent Felix podcast? Let's find out what the board thinks...

Vote for your top THREE Frazetta paintings.

Note: Yes, I know I forgot to include your 2nd-favorite Frazetta as an option. I know. The man painted a lot of masterpieces and I'm sure I left out a hundred other great ones (not an exaggeration). Since I did the grunt work though, we'll all have to stick with my selections for this particular poll.

P.S. Your votes are private, so don't worry about tipping people off about your intent to bid in the upcoming Egyptian Queen auction.

Frazetta_paintings.jpg

Edited by J.Sid

1 minute ago, Timely said:

My favorite Frazetta is the one with the 2 T-Rex's and the cavemen carrying off a female while a flying pterodactyl is hunting them down. So primal! 

A female what?  hm

28 minutes ago, BCarter27 said:

meet and fight anyone who picks Death Dealer over any of the five Conans.

(And I mean the original versions -- although I don't hate the revisions.)

Sheesh, one of my faves 'Conan vs the Man-ape' did not even make this list of prime Frazetta oils. The detail on 'Thuvia maid of Mars' was astounding <3 when viewed in person at the Frazetta ranch.

Vote's in.

Didn't pick one of Frazetta's Molly Hatchet covers, though I admire those a lot.

Here's a favorite of mine that didn't make your cut, it stood out ever since I saw it on cover of Nat'l Lampoon, the Ghoul Queen.

Spoiler

ghoul-queen.thumb.jpg.9b96025bb4b3e4d28ade3859ac7a3ed4.jpg

Edited by grebal

2 hours ago, Timely said:

My favorite Frazetta is the one with the 2 T-Rex's and the cavemen carrying off a female while a flying pterodactyl is hunting them down. So primal! 

51 minutes ago, grebal said:

Vote's in.

Didn't pick one of Frazetta's Molly Hatchet covers, though I admire those a lot.

Here's a favorite of mine that didn't make your cut, it stood out ever since I saw it on cover of Nat'l Lampoon, the Ghoul Queen.

ghoul-queen.thumb.jpg.9b96025bb4b3e4d28ade3859ac7a3ed4.jpg

Too funny. I had a friend yell a me for not including this one.

The amount of great work is so deep, I was just looking for ANY little reason to cut things. At some point I just limited the list to oil paintings as one of my criteria.

I originally had my list "down" to 32, but when I went to enter them, the system would only let me set up a poll with 20. 

None of the Death Dealers are not even in my top three. They are well painted but never did anything for me. Egyptian Queen is number one, that and the Vampirella were the first Frazetta paintings I ever saw. 

1. Egyptian Queen

2. Princess of Mars

3. Conan The Barbarian

My most nostalgic Frazetta painting is Vampirella #1 cover but the pose was always a bit wonky to me.

3 hours ago, Timely said:

3 hours ago, glendgold said:

A female what?  hm

That's a great one! Wasn't it for sale at SD Comic-Con a while back? (circa 2010?)

13_daruma___frank_frazetta__savage_world_1280x800.thumb.jpg.5a910acfeb690813cf83b3eec99064e2.jpg

I took the podcast as saying that DD1 was the most iconic and most valuable if not necessarily the absolute best Frazetta painting. I can't disagree with that assessment. This poll seems to be asking a question about aesthetics. 

5 hours ago, cstojano said:

I took the podcast as saying that DD1 was the most iconic and most valuable if not necessarily the absolute best Frazetta painting. I can't disagree with that assessment. This poll seems to be asking a question about aesthetics. 

DD1 has become a cultural icon so I understand the difference in price evaluation, and that it would probably be valued the highest. I think I posted this awhile back-

But as for the actual paintings, if you don't understand why the Conan pieces are superior, I refer you to the Boris thread.