• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frazetta Poll

Frazetta Oils (pick 3)  

65 members have voted

1. 1. List your top Three Frank Frazetta Paintings

• Savage Pellucidar
    • Dark Kingdom
    • Vampirella
    • Silver Warrior
    • Egyptian Queen
    • Night Winds
    • Sea Witch
    • Cat Girl
    • Conan the Buccaneer
    • Conan the Berserker
    • Conan the Barbarian
    • Snow Giants
    • Conan the Destroyer
    • Princess of Mars
    • Thuvia Maid of Mars
    • Fighting Man of Mars
    • Death Dealer I
    • Death Dealer II
    • Death Dealer V
    • At Earth's Core

61 posts in this topic

22 minutes ago, BCarter27 said:

DD1 has become a cultural icon so I understand the difference in price evaluation, and that it would probably be valued the highest. I think I posted this awhile back

But as for the actual paintings, if you don't understand why the Conan pieces are superior, I refer you to the Boris thread.

DD is a minor cultural icon at best. I mean, show a photo of DD1 to 1,000 random people on the street and how many are going to be able to name the character...probably just a handful would know his name, and a few more might recognize the image from Molly Hatchet.  The character never did anything for me, though, I do think DD2 is a hella cool painting.  

My picks were:  Conan the Berserker (my all-time nostalgic favorite), Conan the Destroyer and Fighting Man of Mars.  Though, the last one is just there for variety.  The Frazetta market has passed me by, but, if I was ever in a position in the past or future to buy a high-end Frazetta piece, it would be Conan or bust, having been a fan of these Ace PB covers ever since discovering them at the library in the sixth grade. 

The closest I ever got to buying a Frazetta oil was when a number of them were offered to me at $80K each (I don't remember the date, but, IIRC, it was probably around 2011-ish, after Frank's passing).  My favorite of the lot was the cover used for Marvel's Epic Illustrated #1 (the one with the Roman soldiers).  

19 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

DD is a minor cultural icon at best. I mean, show a photo of DD1 to 1,000 random people on the street and how many are going to be able to name the character...probably just a handful would know his name, and a few more might recognize the image from Molly Hatchet.  The character never did anything for me, though, I do think DD2 is a hella cool painting.  

My picks were:  Conan the Berserker (my all-time nostalgic favorite), Conan the Destroyer and Fighting Man of Mars.  Though, the last one is just there for variety.  The Frazetta market has passed me by, but, if I was ever in a position in the past or future to buy a high-end Frazetta piece, it would be Conan or bust, having been a fan of these Ace PB covers ever since discovering them at the library in the sixth grade. 

The closest I ever got to buying a Frazetta oil was when a number of them were offered to me at $80K each (I don't remember the date, but, IIRC, it was probably around 2011-ish, after Frank's passing).  My favorite of the lot was the cover used for Marvel's Epic Illustrated #1 (the one with the Roman soldiers).  

Well, that's like taking the Mile High copy of Action Comics #1 to your local 7-11 & seeing what the highest offer you can get from people who happen to walk in. It's worth between $6-10 Million, but you probably wont get an offer over $1,000. lol

8 minutes ago, Timely said:

Well, that's like taking the Mile High copy of Action Comics #1 to your local 7-11 & seeing what the highest offer you can get from people who happen to walk in. It's worth between $6-10 Million, but you probably wont get an offer over $1,000. lol

Sure, if we were talking about market values. But I'm just challenging the claim of DD being "a cultural icon". I mean, if you showed Action #1 to a thousand random people on the street, nearly everybody would recognize it as an early Superman comic, and many would either know or easily deduce that it was the first Superman comic. 

On the other hand, probably 950+ people wouldn't have a clue who or what Death Dealer was.  

2 hours ago, delekkerste said:

My favorite of the lot was the cover used for Marvel's Epic Illustrated #1 (the one with the Roman soldiers).  

:whee:YESSS! This one.

2 hours ago, delekkerste said:

DD is a minor cultural icon at best.

Agreed, but it has caught on with the military and music folk in a different way than the other paintings... enough to edge it forward in value. In such a small buyer pool, all of these things will likely add up in desirability.

You can't beat the early Frazetta Conans for pure raw power though.

1. Berserker

2. Barbarian

3. Egyptian Queen

Then, I'm into the Romans, Cat Queen, Sea Witch, orig Destroyer, Frost Giant's, more Conan, and things get fuzzy after that.

One thing that hasn't come up is whether EQ is more or less relevant for being the cover to Eerie 23 (or whatever it is). I mean, that is a total potato in the grand scheme of things. Would it matter if it was completely unpublished in the comics genre? Certainly the fine arts discussion somewhere in this thread suggests that any fine arts appeal would be heightened by severing the Warren connection. 

The appeal of DD1 is also its tie-in to the Lord of the Rings. Although never formally connected, there is no doubt that Ploog took inspiration from DD when designing the characters for Wizards, which would also make an appearance in Bakshi's LOTR as the nazgul. As Tolkien was my entry into fantasy, the cross-over appeal is strong. 

Interesting comparison of Frazetta vs Vallejo:

1avallejo3.jpg?format=original

1bafrazetta-conan-the-destroyer-1971.jpg

Years ago my mentor Val Mayerik had once noted Frazetta's supremacy over all other fantasy painters by saying: "His people are fighting for their lives," and while I'm certain it wasn't an original thought, that simple conversation inspired this entire entry. So let's start there, with the central issue, the one that rules over all the others: Boris Vallejo's "warrior woman" (top) not only looks like, but IS, some bimbo he picked up at the gym, while in the painting directly above (and in all of his paintings) Frank Fazetta's characters are indeed fighting for their very lives. In the Vallejo painting there is NO urgency to her figure, expression, surroundings, to her struggles, nor to the painting, nor even to the composition itself. One painting (Frazetta's) shows a dramatic moment in time, the other (Vallejo's) shows a well-lit model with a vapid expression on her face. There is no depth of fire in her eyes. In my lectures I also discuss the importance of diagonals, and the Frazetta painting is full of dramatic and conflicting angles, by comparison Vallejo's painting is static, practically on a grid. Additionally, notice the atmosphere in Frazetta's painting, how it's in turmoil, while Vallejo's background looks like a hellish high school yearbook photo backdrop. 

41 minutes ago, Taylor G said:

Boris Vallejo's "warrior woman" (top) not only looks like, but IS, some bimbo he picked up at the gym

:roflmao:

Someone who had modeled for Boris on a number of his prime era paintings actually reached out to me last year, looking to potentially trade for a Boris I had where she had been the model, which I thought was pretty cool (it ended up going to another collector). 

She was not a gym bimbo. :blush: 

Edited by delekkerste

7 minutes ago, Blastaar said:

Will the Egyptian Queen be purchased today?

Of course it will be. It has to be guaranteed; no way is Heritage going to risk their Platinum Night catalog cover art going RNM...that would be embarrassing.  

The only question is whether the reserve gets tripped before the live bidding session or during.  I'm surprised it hasn't been tripped yet, but, maybe someone at Heritage is reading this thread and decided to not be so predictable...this time. ;) 

On 5/15/2019 at 10:43 AM, delekkerste said:

Disagree on DD1. It's the official Mascot of the U.S. Army's 3rd Corps, an dis widely known in the military. 

My favorite Conan painting is Destroyer, by far. It's an amazing painting.

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

Someone who had modeled for Boris on a number of his prime era paintings actually reached out to me last year, looking to potentially trade for a Boris I had where she had been the model, which I thought was pretty cool (it ended up going to another collector). 

The correct word is "Gymbo."

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

I understand the point about "fighting for their lives," which is a good one, but it doesn't have to go the way of ad hominem attack to still be accurate.

26 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Disagree on DD1. It's the official Mascot of the U.S. Army's 3rd Corps, an dis widely known in the military. 

I would bet that polling a thousand random servicemen and servicewomen wouldn't get you much more name recall for DD than with the general public.