• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frazetta Poll

Frazetta Oils (pick 3)  

65 members have voted

1. 1. List your top Three Frank Frazetta Paintings

• Savage Pellucidar
    • Dark Kingdom
    • Vampirella
    • Silver Warrior
    • Egyptian Queen
    • Night Winds
    • Sea Witch
    • Cat Girl
    • Conan the Buccaneer
    • Conan the Berserker
    • Conan the Barbarian
    • Snow Giants
    • Conan the Destroyer
    • Princess of Mars
    • Thuvia Maid of Mars
    • Fighting Man of Mars
    • Death Dealer I
    • Death Dealer II
    • Death Dealer V
    • At Earth's Core

61 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

Of course it will be. It has to be guaranteed; no way is Heritage going to risk their Platinum Night catalog cover art going RNM...that would be embarrassing.  

The only question is whether the reserve gets tripped before the live bidding session or during.  I'm surprised it hasn't been tripped yet, but, maybe someone at Heritage is reading this thread and decided to not be so predictable...this time. ;) 

that would assume that the reserve price was not raised by a family change of heart.....50/50 my guess

29 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

that would assume that the reserve price was not raised by a family change of heart.....50/50 my guess

well, as of now, someone can still trip the "old" reserve at $4.5 million...maybe they are just waiting to see if that happens

1 minute ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

There’s a large DD1 statue at the 3rd Corps HQ at Fort Hood. 

There are statues all over Manhattan that get 1,000x more foot traffic than at Fort Hood that people have no clue about...

At best, a very, very, very minor cultural icon. 

16 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Astroworld (Houston)...mid-Eighties...you couldn't get past a single junk vendor booth without running into multiple DD1 trinkets.

The image was everywhere along with Jump, Thriller, Eighteen and Life and Pour Some Sugar On Me lol

None of which translates into $5m for DD1 or EQ. Sorry tru-fans.

42 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

There are statues all over Manhattan that get 1,000x more foot traffic than at Fort Hood that people have no clue about...

They sell DD1 medallions (and posters) at Walmart. 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/1-oz-Silver-Reverse-Cameo-Round-Frank-Frazetta-Death-Dealer/236625814

8 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

They sell a million little tchotchkes at Wal-Mart and elsewhere!  

D-list cultural icon at best. 

Edited by delekkerste

On 5/15/2019 at 7:43 AM, delekkerste said:

DD is a minor cultural icon at best. I mean, show a photo of DD1 to 1,000 random people on the street and how many are going to be able to name the character...probably just a handful would know his name, and a few more might recognize the image from Molly Hatchet.  The character never did anything for me, though, I do think DD2 is a hella cool painting.  

My picks were:  Conan the Berserker (my all-time nostalgic favorite), Conan the Destroyer and Fighting Man of Mars.  Though, the last one is just there for variety.  The Frazetta market has passed me by, but, if I was ever in a position in the past or future to buy a high-end Frazetta piece, it would be Conan or bust, having been a fan of these Ace PB covers ever since discovering them at the library in the sixth grade. 

The closest I ever got to buying a Frazetta oil was when a number of them were offered to me at $80K each (I don't remember the date, but, IIRC, it was probably around 2011-ish, after Frank's passing).  My favorite of the lot was the cover used for Marvel's Epic Illustrated #1 (the one with the Roman soldiers).  

80k, hot damn !

I don't know about you guys, but, I feel bad for the guy in the lower right who lost his loincloth during the fight. :facepalm: 

That guy around the lower left looks like he's one step away from having a wardrobe malfunction as well. :eek: 

WTF...I just noticed this while watching The Art of D&D documentary on Amazon Prime that @PhilipB2k17 recommended.  I don't think I'll ever be able to look at this painting quite the same again. 

frank-frazetta-conan-the-destroyer-620.jpg.4047e11e1bb4e48830713e551288088f.jpg

Edited by delekkerste

7 hours ago, delekkerste said:

I don't know about you guys, but, I feel bad for the guy in the lower right who lost his loincloth during the fight. :facepalm: 

That guy around the lower left looks like he's one step away from having a wardrobe malfunction as well. :eek: 

WTF...I just noticed this while watching The Art of D&D documentary on Amazon Prime that @PhilipB2k17 recommended.  I don't think I'll ever be able to look at this painting quite the same again. 

You never noticed the huge buttquack before?   :insane:

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

Nope. And, now, I can't see anything else! :tonofbricks:

And it doesn’t strike you as unusual that everyone is completely shirtless yet in had to hand combat with bladed weapons?   Call me crazy but somebody get some armor or a leather brigandine or something :insane:  I love the painting but they do look to be down with something other than fighting :ph34r:

Edited by Bronty

11 hours ago, delekkerste said:

Conan's special move is to run around the battlefield and pants everyone. And THEN split their heads open with an ax. Crom laughs at your humiliation.

Edited by BCarter27

11 hours ago, delekkerste said:

Was this originally intended as a NYC bathhouse advert too?

When is a pipe not a pipe?

When is a battle axe not a battle axe?

So many pointy hats...

3 hours ago, BCarter27 said:

Conan's special move is to run around the battlefield and pants everyone. And THEN split their heads open with an ax. Crom laughs at your humiliation.

I've got the original paperbacks (thank you Berkeley Comic Con), and the same thing is happening on Book Two's cover.

Conan's Pantsing Move Special, followed by Fatality is right.  lol