• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wolverine limited series 1 9.9

67 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, mattn792 said:

The value of just about anything boils down to an opinion.

All collecting and antiques values boils down to an opinion as its all subjective. Look at the TV show Pawn Stars or American pickers or antiques roadshow. They determine value or the condition of objects based on their expert opinion and what they have seen before and what it has sold to others before. there can't be anything 100% concrete when it comes to collectables or the second hand market. I think what CGC offers to collectors, buyers and sellers is a expert opinion that's extremely well experienced and thoroughly researched and some protection for your collectable (slab). 

3 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

They need an absolute grading system,because that and Ebay cause the value of a comic book to be an opinion.

There could never be an absolute grading system, because every defect is different, and affects different books in different ways. Grading is an art, not a science. If I'm looking for a slabbed book (which is rare, I'm not usually a slab buyer) I take the CGC grade as a means of getting in the ball park. Then I look at the book and make my own decision. Buy the book, not the number.

11 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

There could never be an absolute grading system, because every defect is different, and affects different books in different ways. Grading is an art, not a science. If I'm looking for a slabbed book (which is rare, I'm not usually a slab buyer) I take the CGC grade as a means of getting in the ball park. Then I look at the book and make my own decision. Buy the book, not the number.

Makes sense