• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern Keys...a list?
2 2

196 posts in this topic

31 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I agree because fantastic 4 49 is far more valuable than fantastic 4 48 and 48 is first appearance of...silver surfer and Galactus

I'm sorry, what?!  O.o

5 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Do you guys consider all first appearances “key”? (shrug)

It all depends on whether a character becomes popular or maintains some lasting relevance.  The 1st Hope Summers has the potential to be a key.  As do the 1st Batman Who Laughs, Cosmic Ghost Rider, etc.  But something like the 1st appearance of The Gibbon (ASM #110) or Kite Man (Batman #133)...i'm not sure those could even be considered minor keys since they're not even D-list characters.  That said, would I actually want a decent copy of Batman #133?  Two words: "Hell yeah"

image.png.ec6fc40527aa21831940c42b4a724bd1.png

1 minute ago, TwoPiece said:

Not in the 20th century. Today, though, yes.

What’s different about today?

Oh right....movies.

If the first appearance of Rocket is now considered “key”, it logically follows that movies do indeed create keys .(shrug)

Just now, THE_BEYONDER said:

What’s different about today?

Oh right....movies.

If the first appearance of Rocket is now considered “key”, it logically follows that movies do indeed create keys .(shrug)

Rocket was a more popular character prior to the movies. He was in less than 20 comic books in the 20th century.

Movies do not create keys. When a character who had <20 appearances suddenly has many more, then their 1st appearance will become a key if the character's popularity continues to rise.

Just now, TwoPiece said:

Rocket was a more popular character prior to the movies. He was in less than 20 comic books in the 20th century.

Movies do not create keys. When a character who had <20 appearances suddenly has many more, then their 1st appearance will become a key if the character's popularity continues to rise.

When was Rocket ever “popular”?   Prior to movie hype, you couldn’t give Hulk 271 away.

42 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Keys are important books. Being (very) loosely related to a popular movie doesn't make a book important, just temporarily popular.

I would never argue about major/minor keys because that's a B.S. distinction. You would need a spectrum to define the importance of a book, not a binary classification. And Avengers (v.58253) #9 is nowhere to be seen anywhere near that spectrum.

While I agree that key is a spectrum and not a binary I disagree about if some of these books can be described as keys.  Very very minor keys, but keys none the less.  And despite the fact that first appearances are the keys in demand right now they aren't the only keys.  Suspense 3, Fantastic 3, Detective 31, Startling 49.  All are pretty big keys in my book and none are first appearances.

11 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

I'm sorry, what?!  O.o

It all depends on whether a character becomes popular or maintains some lasting relevance.  The 1st Hope Summers has the potential to be a key.  As do the 1st Batman Who Laughs, Cosmic Ghost Rider, etc.  But something like the 1st appearance of The Gibbon (ASM #110) or Kite Man (Batman #133)...i'm not sure those could even be considered minor keys since they're not even D-list characters.  That said, would I actually want a decent copy of Batman #133?  Two words: "Hell yeah"

image.png.ec6fc40527aa21831940c42b4a724bd1.png

The price of fantastic 4 49 in 9.8 is more valuable than if 48 and 48 is the fa of silver surfer and galactus 

Just now, THE_BEYONDER said:

When was Rocket ever “popular”?   Prior to movie hype, you couldn’t give Hulk 271 away.

Circa 2007-2012? I'm no expert on Rocket/Guardians. He factored heavily into Marvel Studios' and Gunn's 1st movie in 2014, though.

He's not a hugely popular character by any means. Maybe his 1st appearance isn't a key? I don't know all keys. I thought that it would be, though.

Maybe technically be copper, but I still recommend selling all of the above and putting everything into this.

A1gJXe2DW0L.jpg

3 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Circa 2007-2012? I'm no expert on Rocket/Guardians. He factored heavily into Marvel Studios' and Gunn's 1st movie in 2014, though.

He's not a hugely popular character by any means. Maybe his 1st appearance isn't a key? I don't know all keys. I thought that it would be, though.

I think the raccoon is a cool character though the book is valued at the same price as a edge of the spiderverse 002 and look at the age difference. When a book only 4 years old sells for 500 in 9.8 compared to a book 30 years old in 9.8 selling for the same price I think you can decipher major key from minor. Now dont get me wrong I love rocket raccoon.

6 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

The price of fantastic 4 49 in 9.8 is more valuable than if 48 and 48 is the fa of silver surfer and galactus 

I don't have GPA, but you're going to have to post proof of that.

I can only refer to eBay sales, but two copies of FF48 CGC 7.0 sold in March for $2500.  The last FF49 CGC 8.0 sold in March for $1500.  Higher grade.  Lower price.  I imagine the same will be true when the price of the book is scaled up to a 9.8.

5 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

I can only refer to eBay sales, but two copies of FF48 CGC 7.0 sold in March for $2500.  The last FF49 CGC 8.0 sold in March for $1500.  Higher grade.  Lower price.  I imagine the same will be true when the price of the book is scaled up to a 9.8.

https://comics.gocollect.com/guide/view/126431

not sure if that's any help

https://comics.gocollect.com/guide/view/126360

Edited by Hollywood1892
Wasnt finished

2 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

Can't really compare the 9.8, because FF49 hasn't had a 9.8 sale in a few years. Closest high grade is 9.4, and FF48 is about double the price of FF49 (over $10,750 vs $5,850). 

3 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

It's not, here's the actual listing showing the two books:

QVxC2YU.png 

Ignore the 9.8, because the data isn't there. Look at the prices below the book titles. 

Edited by Kon_Jelly

4 minutes ago, Kon_Jelly said:

Can't really compare the 9.8, because FF49 hasn't had a 9.8 sale in a few years. Closest high grade is 9.4, and FF48 is about double the price of FF49 (over $10,750 vs $5,850). 

Maybe gocollect has got it wrong

It makes sense what your saying

A 9.8 in 49 is alot scarcer maybe.

Edited by Hollywood1892
Incomplete