• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern Keys...a list?
2 2

196 posts in this topic

On 5/15/2019 at 6:52 PM, Lazyboy said:
On 5/15/2019 at 6:33 PM, shadroch said:

How do you define a key comic? My definition is a book that is more expensive than its neighbors in the same run.  What is yours?

So one-shots can't be key? Only a few early ASMs are key because some of the keys are worth more than others? A random Batman appearance in a third-tier title is key?

Simple questions that remain unanswered...

30 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

This post is completely :censored: insane.

Yes, the movie/TV adaptations affected the prices, but to say none of them were key before that? :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

1. Detective Comics 140/Batman 171: First Riddler, first Silver Age Riddler
2. Batman Adventures 12: First Harley
3. Walking Dead 1: First Rick Grimes, first Walking Dead
4. Tales to Astonish 13: First Groot
5. Incredible Hulk 271: "First" Rocket
6. Iron Man 55: First Thanos
7. Marvel Premiere 4: First Star-Lord

again, that's just off the top of my head....and for those who argue Iron Man 55, what's the difference between Thanos and Darkseid? Nothing...except Thanos was the bad guy in a 22 movie arc that grossed $20 billion in ticket sales.

1. Detective 140/Batman 171 - 100% driven by the appearance of the Riddler in the Batman TV show and the ensuing continued nostalgia factor. What's the difference between Detective 140 (Riddler introduction) and Detective 147 (Tiger Shark introduction). Nothing. They were throwaway characters, until the TV show made the Riddler a monster hit.

2. Batman Adventures 12. Harley was created for TV. The very existence of the character came from television.

3. Walking Dead 1. Walking Dead was/is a great book. But sales on it were flat for five years. Then the TV show came out, and the price doubled and rose northward until recently because (1) the show stinks and (2) they've made an end to the series. With no TV show Walking Dead 1 = Bone 1.

4. Tales to Astonish 13. Book was a dog for 50 years. Movie came out and it was not a dog.

5. Incredible Hulk 271. Book was a dog for 25 years.  Movie Trailer came out and it was not a dog.

6. Iron Man 55. Iron Man 55 was always a pretty big book. Prices on 9.8 and 9.6s dropped 25% between 2004 and 2011. Then in 2012 prices doubled and have been rising ever since. Perhaps something happened on April 11, 2012 that caused Thanos' popularity to blow up. Pre 2012 Thanos = Darkseid.

7. Marvel Premiere 4? Was a dog. Dog dog dog. Movie came out and then it wasn't.

and here's another one:

8. Aquaman 29, first appearance of Ocean Master. I was buying these on eBay for $2-3 per unit. A movie has come out. I'd like to be able to buy them again for $2-3.

These books and many others have seen spikes directly because of movies/TV. None of these books (with the possible exception of Iron Man 55) were on anyone's "Key" list until then.

God...there is nothing better than a bunch of nerds arguing. I love this :censored:

4 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

Guys, if we hype up a book enough on social media (raising awareness), it will become a key for a specific period of time!

that's been discussed and theorized before here and the general conclusion is we are a small minority of comic aficionados, essentially meaningless. 

18 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

1. Detective 140/Batman 171 - 100% driven by the appearance of the Riddler in the Batman TV show and the ensuing continued nostalgia factor. What's the difference between Detective 140 (Riddler introduction) and Detective 147 (Tiger Shark introduction). Nothing. They were throwaway characters, until the TV show made the Riddler a monster hit.

Did the show cause an immediate spike in prices for Riddler issues, or did his successful inclusion lead to him becoming a more prominent member of Batman's rogues gallery going forward?

5 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

2. Batman Adventures 12. Harley was created for TV. The very existence of the character came from television.

Yes, she was created for a TV adaptation. So what? She became popular and much more relevant well after the show was done and before any movie. Yes, the price increased more/again with news of the movie because that's what happens now. Attention creates and/or focuses demand.

30 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

3. Walking Dead 1. Walking Dead was/is a great book. But sales on it were flat for five years. Then the TV show came out, and the price doubled and rose northward until recently because (1) the show stinks and (2) they've made an end to the series. With no TV show Walking Dead 1 = Bone 1.

Ooh, lots to get into here.

I assume the flat sales you mention are for issue 1, because the series was the anti-Marvel, with an inauspicious beginning followed by constant (but relatively slow) growth.

What ending are you talking about?

Is Bone 1 not a key? Is Bone 1 not valuable? I don't get the comparison in any context.

39 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

6. Iron Man 55. Iron Man 55 was always a pretty big book.

None of these books (with the possible exception of Iron Man 55) were on anyone's "Key" list until then.

(thumbsu I was this close to contacting JC to come back and give you hell. :baiting:

42 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

Pre 2012 Thanos = Darkseid.

Again, I don't understand the context. The 1st appearance of Darkseid is definitely a key and has been (at least relatively) valuable for a long time.

I have never argued that other media adaptations don't affect prices. I don't argue that they can't affect a character's overall future. What I do say, repeatedly, is that they disproportionately affect the value of keys rather than creating keys.

Does every issue of Iron Man become more valuable when there's a movie? No, (some of) the keys do. Do some retards pay big money for the Infinity War series? Yes, because they're ignorant and stupid.

3 minutes ago, NoMan said:

that's been discussed and theorized before here and the general conclusion is we are a small minority of comic aficionados, essentially meaningless. 

While is it certainly possible to overestimate the influence, only a fool would deny the ability of this forum to affect the market.

1 hour ago, Lazyboy said:

While is it certainly possible to overestimate the influence, only a fool would deny the ability of this forum to affect the market.

Let's affect it then. Where shall we start?

EDIT: I reached into a random long box in my closet and pulled out a random book. It's Dark Horse's Concrete # 6, February 1988. Can we make this book super valuable so I can unload it for big $$$ and buy a circa 80s Rolex Sea Dweller (around 8 grand, I guess)?

Edited by NoMan

27 minutes ago, NoMan said:

EDIT: I reached into a random long box in my closet and pulled out a random book. It's Dark Horse's Concrete # 6, February 1988. Can we make this book super valuable so I can unload it for big $$$ and buy a circa 80s Rolex Sea Dweller (around 8 grand, I guess)?

I'm not sure even the boards can pump a random comic like Concrete #6, as great as that series was.  But I'd argue it moved the needle quite a bit on Spirou 1071/1072.  You really want to move the needle on a book look for something older (say early 60's or earlier), somewhat culturally significant, and a first appearance and I'm pretty sure we could make money on it.

Edited by thunsicker

1 hour ago, thunsicker said:

I'm not sure even the boards can pump a random comic like Concrete #6, as great as that series was.  But I'd argue it moved the needle quite a bit on Spirou 1071/1072.  You really want to move the needle on a book look for something older (say early 60's or earlier), somewhat culturally significant, and a first appearance and I'm pretty sure we could make money on it.

I've only got Concrete #6. But I hear ya. I'm open to the fact I could be wrong. I often am. 

52 minutes ago, thunsicker said:

No one in the USA knows about the book.  Pretty significant book in pop culture.  1st Smurf’s from 1958.  Not much hype is needed on something like this.  

2 hours ago, NoMan said:
2 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

lol Like I said...

4 hours ago, Spiderturtle said:

No one in the USA knows about the book.  Pretty significant book in pop culture.  1st Smurf’s from 1958.  Not much hype is needed on something like this.  

Which is what I was saying.  When @RedRaven started the first thread there was almost no interest for the book and it went for the same price as the issues around it.  Shortly thereafter many people said it was an interesting book and just 5 years later there are threads talking about it reaching multi thousand dollar sales.  There might have been outside forces pushing this book up in value as well, but this is the only place I saw any mention of the book before it really took off.