• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern Keys...a list?
2 2

196 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, shadroch said:

Perhaps if we knew Two Pieces background, we could make some sense of his unusual beliefs. I know that between Donut, Bookery and myself, we have well over a hundred years of dealing with comics and a tad of experience in determining what books are key.

13 hours ago, newshane said:

I still have him on ignore. Please fill me in. :popcorn:

dang it so do I, but I can't seem to be rid of his assinine opinions even now-  :facepalm:

:censored: millennials....

I'm still curious about his background. I'm pretty sure I'm about to block him as well, but I was hoping to learn a bit about him before I decide. I'm guessing he isn't one for taking correction well?

Where do we fall on Marvel Team Up 62, first meeting of Spider-Man and Ms Marvel?  Had people looking for it a few months back.  Seemingly significant enough to move the needle for some people.  Does that make it a key, or is it just a cheap book people were speculating on, just in case?

Cosmic Ghost Rider is Punisher, right?  Is first Frankencastle a key?

Long term demand has to play a part in being called a key, otherwise you can call anything a key.  Some Facebook bozo on a live stream tried to sell a 90s Amazing Spiderman as first Black Cat cover.  Was he on crack?  Try Asm 194.  Okay, 3rd cover?  No, she was in Spectacular for years.  Okay, 3rd time appearing on the cover of ASM? Still no, but I got blocked before I could qualify that for him any further...

7 minutes ago, FineCollector said:

Where do we fall on Marvel Team Up 62, first meeting of Spider-Man and Ms Marvel?  Had people looking for it a few months back.  Seemingly significant enough to move the needle for some people.  Does that make it a key, or is it just a cheap book people were speculating on, just in case?

Cosmic Ghost Rider is Punisher, right?  Is first Frankencastle a key?

Long term demand has to play a part in being called a key, otherwise you can call anything a key.  Some Facebook bozo on a live stream tried to sell a 90s Amazing Spiderman as first Black Cat cover.  Was he on crack?  Try Asm 194.  Okay, 3rd cover?  No, she was in Spectacular for years.  Okay, 3rd time appearing on the cover of ASM? Still no, but I got blocked before I could qualify that for him any further...

Some people need to have the record straight for them. Good on you for doing it.

That's why I'm reluctant to impulse buy raws on Ebay without some research first. Sometimes peoples description of what the book is is downright ridiculous.

Edited by Hollywood1892
Incomplete

unfortunately, we live in an era where google is a substitute for wisdom and experience.  Younger people lack the the discipline and critical thinking skills to vet good information from bad information in an era where all information, both good and bad is served up en masse and is more readily available and accessible than any time in history.  Unfortunately, the last decade of the digital age has been spent allowing the unwashed masses to catch up and pee in the information pool and then try to swim in it to get somewhere. 

2 hours ago, FineCollector said:

Isn't that just another book that contains something vaguely similar to something in a movie?

3 hours ago, MYNAMEISLEGION said:

unfortunately, we live in an era where google is a substitute for wisdom and experience.  Younger people lack the the discipline and critical thinking skills to vet good information from bad information in an era where all information, both good and bad is served up en masse and is more readily available and accessible than any time in history.  Unfortunately, the last decade of the digital age has been spent allowing the unwashed masses to catch up and pee in the information pool and then try to swim in it to get somewhere. 

God damn is the above funny. Correct and funny. 

3 hours ago, MYNAMEISLEGION said:

I hate swimming in pools of information filled with pee.

On 5/17/2019 at 4:39 PM, FlyingDonut said:

This list is off the top of my head in 30 seconds. I'm sure I can get more. These books exploded in value and have become keys in the marketplace with continued value and desire solely because of continued movie/TV output.

1. Detective Comics 140/Batman 171: First Riddler, first Silver Age Riddler
2. Batman Adventures 12: First Harley
3. Walking Dead 1: First Rick Grimes, first Walking Dead
4. Tales to Astonish 13: First Groot
5. Incredible Hulk 271: "First" Rocket
6. Iron Man 55: First Thanos
7. Marvel Premiere 4: First Star-Lord

First Star-Lord was Marvel Preview #4.

On 5/16/2019 at 1:25 AM, Heronext said:

To everyone debating what makes a key, I ask you this: What was the exact month and year that Amazing Fantasy #15 attained “key” status?

I think this is kind of the point. It was always a key...a first appearance. It just became a high value book over time.

Edited by Supa-Bad-Mofo

On 5/17/2019 at 12:00 PM, Kramerica said:

But Tony Stark wielded the Infinity Gauntlet and in doing so he gave his life saving the Earth. Now, that time when he first did this in the comics? I think it's a key. Most here will probably disagree. (I think the entire Avengers & New Avengers runs by Bendis were classic to begin with - a point on which most here will disagree, if in fact they've read it).

But I also think the book has serious legs too. Down the road it will probably remain there as it was the first time that Tony wielded the IG - an act that was immortalized onscreen in the biggest movie ever with the MCU MVP (and Robert Downey, Jr will win that best actor Oscar - Hollywood loves a comeback story.) giving his life to save the Earth.

Does the book remain a key if I thought End Game pretty much sucked and have no idea why it's being hailed as some kind of masterpiece? 

45 minutes ago, Supa-Bad-Mofo said:

I think this is kind of the point. It was always a key...a fist appearance. It just became a high value book over time.

Not only did a fist appear, it was also the first appearance of Spider-Man

Edited by aszumilo

2 hours ago, Supa-Bad-Mofo said:

I think this is kind of the point. It was always a key...a fist appearance. It just became a high value book over time.

I was lying in bed with my girl one day and she made a fist appearance and I said

"Sorry babe...that's not really my thing."

On 5/18/2019 at 10:25 AM, Lazyboy said:

Isn't that just another book that contains something vaguely similar to something in a movie?

Sure, but that's the argument being made.  Something happens, people want it, price breaks out from issues around it, so it's a key?  I dont think so.

On 5/17/2019 at 7:11 PM, Hollywood1892 said:

What about this?

When is this going to explode?

20190517_190956.jpg

Never. I've been collecting comics since 1987. Before I started collecting comics, I was a Doctor Who fan (since about 1984), and I would go to my local comic show for issues of the Doctor Who monthly mag and novelizations. I started collecting comics when I won a bunch of free comics by answering trivia questions about Doctor Who at their annual trivia contest, and ended up with a stack of comics, and started to explore more. So we're talking about 32 years of comics fandom and 35 years of Doctor Who fandom. And I don't care about Doctor Who comics. It's not even the first appearance of the Doctor in comics. That would be Doctor Who Weekly (which became monthly) #1. Some might argue it's not even the first appearance of the Doctor in comic books (Weekly was a mag) or in US comics either, since there's a Gold Key adaptation of the Peter Cushing movie. (Although most DW fans — myself included — don't entirely accept that the Peter Cushing movies feature the same character, since they significantly changed the Doctor's origin, so it's not really "The Doctor" it's "Doctor Who")

But I've got the complete set of the Marvel Premiere run and the comic, so I'd be happy to be wrong.

12 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Never. I've been collecting comics since 1987. Before I started collecting comics, I was a Doctor Who fan (since about 1984), and I would go to my local comic show for issues of the Doctor Who monthly mag and novelizations. I started collecting comics when I won a bunch of free comics by answering trivia questions about Doctor Who at their annual trivia contest, and ended up with a stack of comics, and started to explore more. So we're talking about 32 years of comics fandom and 35 years of Doctor Who fandom. And I don't care about Doctor Who comics. It's not even the first appearance of the Doctor in comics. That would be Doctor Who Weekly (which became monthly) #1. Some might argue it's not even the first appearance of the Doctor in comic books (Weekly was a mag) or in US comics either, since there's a Gold Key adaptation of the Peter Cushing movie. (Although most DW fans — myself included — don't entirely accept that the Peter Cushing movies feature the same character, since they significantly changed the Doctor's origin, so it's not really "The Doctor" it's "Doctor Who")

But I've got the complete set of the Marvel Premiere run and the comic, so I'd be happy to be wrong.

Bummer!

Lol

On 5/18/2019 at 3:29 AM, shadroch said:

I'm still curious about his background. I'm pretty sure I'm about to block him as well, but I was hoping to learn a bit about him before I decide. I'm guessing he isn't one for taking correction well?

Your opinion of a "key" is not definitive. How you can claim "correction" is really, well, delusional. I'm not going to pander to false authority. Sorry not sorry.