• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern Keys...a list?
2 2

196 posts in this topic

35 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

What I'd like to know is CGC's policies on off white- white pages and how it doesn't get a grade reduction? Or if it does,how many 9.8s would be 9.9s.

PQ is aging. Why would CGC heavily punish a comic for natural decomposition?

I don't think you quite understand how close-to-perfect a comic must be to be considered "Mint".

7 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

PQ is aging. Why would CGC heavily punish a comic for natural decomposition?

I don't think you quite understand how close-to-perfect a comic must be to be considered "Mint".

I actually do...because I'm shocked at how some comics get a 9.8 with decaying corners,ruffled spines, ect ect.

6 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

Your opinion of a "key" is not definitive. How you can claim "correction" is really, well, delusional. I'm not going to pander to false authority. Sorry not sorry.

You'd think somebody with such a perfect definition would be able to answer some simple questions to justify their position.

Just now, Lazyboy said:

You'd think somebody with such a perfect definition would be able to answer some simple questions to justify their position.

He won't do that until I appeal to his authority and disclose "my experience". I don't see the relevance, though. "I've been doing this for 30 years!" Yeah, they used to design automobiles on drawings 30 years ago... Things change.

I don't think anyone needs 30 years of "experience" to define a "key" comic book. I've been wrong before, but it doesn't make sense to me.

3 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

What I'd like to know is CGC's policies on off white- white pages and how it doesn't get a grade reduction? Or if it does,how many 9.8s would be 9.9s.

It's one thing for a discussion to naturally go off on a tangent, but why would you randomly bring this up in a completely unrelated thread? Especially when there are current threads discussing your question. :makepoint:

Just now, Lazyboy said:

It's one thing for a discussion to naturally go off on a tangent, but why would you randomly bring this up in a completely unrelated thread? Especially when there are current threads discussing your question. :makepoint:

I know I'm sorry...I think I was responding elsewhere and got confused...my bad.

Just now, Lazyboy said:

He's going to reply to every post you ever make now.

You screwed yourself.

As always, it's worth remembering that a 9.8 is not "mint". It's "NM/Mint". 9.8's aren't perfect. 10's are "Gem Mint", 9.9's are "Mint", and they're both completely arbitrary and like hitting the lottery. Like, the grader had a really good cupcake at lunch or something and was in a good mood. But 9.8's don't have to be perfect, and by definition, aren't perfect. And as tight as grading has been the last, what, couple of years now, there are plenty of 9.8's floating around in 9.6 cases these days, and vice versa.