• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Super duper Low Grade Grading

7 posts in this topic

Hi, new here and still pretty new at comic collecting.  I may get a book that has no cover, missing stamp, missing a page and the staples are taken out.

Would that be graded a 0.1, 0.3 or 0.5?  or something else?

Thank you!

Edited by ksalvini

On 5/15/2019 at 1:24 PM, ksalvini said:

Hi, new here and still pretty new at comic collecting.  I nothing pro graded.  I may get a book that has no cover, missing stamp, missing a page and the staples are taken out.

Thank you!

I collect books that have no pages, no covers. no staples . no stamps

They are PGX graded 9.8 

Hi, new here and still pretty new at comic collecting.  I nothing pro graded.  I may get a book that has no cover, missing stamp, missing a page and the staples are taken out.

Thank you!

There is no "0.1" or "0.3" CGC grade.

It would likely get an NG for being so incomplete.

Comic Book Grading Standards.

https://comics.ha.com/tutorial/comics-grading.s?show=comicdefinitions

If you prefer something with illustrations showing the defects allowed in each grade then purchase this.

https://www.gemstonepub.com/en/the-overstreet-guide-to-grading-comics-2016-edition

Edited by marvelmaniac

On 5/15/2019 at 10:24 AM, ksalvini said:

Thank god, the word balloons are still there. 

Just kidding. I was surprised to see a slabbed book with staples removed get a 2.0.  The missing staples are probably not too big a negative to knock it down to NG and will be treated as another missing part. The missing stamp does not affect the story I assume. Your book might grade to a 0.5. 

Edited by GomerPyleUSMC

Thank you!

0.1 and 0.3 do exist in the Overstreet Grading Guide, but as @TwoPiece noted above CGC does not issue those grade numbers. 

With no cover you'd get a "NG", which CGC describes as:

NG – This label stands for "No Grade" and is assigned to comics that are either missing the entire cover, or one half or more of the interior pages, or both. It may also be assigned to comics that are only being verified as authentic, per CGC's discretion.