• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The ATLAS comics cinematic universe!

8 posts in this topic

Dig out those 50's/70's Atlas comics, as looks like we're gonna get some new films on old properties :)

So what is everyones guess on which heroes will be getting their own films out of this deal? I'm thinking a modernized Tiger-Man has a good chance.

Article: 'Ghost Rider' Producer Buys Atlas Comics Library, Teams With Paramount on Series of Movies

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/ghost-rider-producer-buys-atlas-comics-library-teams-paramount-1211185

Edited by Sauce Dog
added my guess :D

1 hour ago, Sauce Dog said:

Dig out those 50's/70's Atlas comics

I'm confused. 1950s Atlas (which would become Marvel) was not the same company as 1970s Atlas/Seaboard. 

20 minutes ago, thunsicker said:

I thought Atlas/Seaboard artists/writers maintained rights to their creations.  What properties are in this sale?

This has confused me as well. I've read that Atlas gave some rights to the creators. However, the existence of Dominic Fortune and Devil Slayer suggest this wasn't necessarily the case, as both are re-worked version of Atlas characters by the same creators (Scorpion by Chaykin and Demon Hunter by Buckler and Kraft respectively). It doesn't seem like the creators still own the rights, if they ever did?

Grim Ghost and Planet of Vampires seem like the most obvious properties to adapt. Scorpion could be cool if they wanted to do a retro, Indiana Jones style serial adventure. Most of the others always seemed like uninspired knockoffs to me. 

3 hours ago, Jeffro. said:

I'm confused. 1950s Atlas (which would become Marvel) was not the same company as 1970s Atlas/Seaboard. 

The main presentation they apparently showed pictures of characters unique to the 70's Atlas/Seaboard, but at the same time used the original 50's Atlas icon in another area of the presentation. So plenty of confusion which might just be an error.