• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Registration number on Label

2 posts in this topic

For the Signature Series books, should the registration number be on both sides of the label? I've been looking at some books for sale on eBay that has it on both sides & some that don't. My obvious concern would be that the ones that don't have it on the back of the label may be fraudulent.

22 hours ago, swrwizard said:

For the Signature Series books, should the registration number be on both sides of the label? I've been looking at some books for sale on eBay that has it on both sides & some that don't. My obvious concern would be that the ones that don't have it on the back of the label may be fraudulent.

I don't have a slab in front of me to verify, but it's highly likely you're seeing a difference in generations of the labels.  Look at the front of the label.  Does it have the page quality (White, Off-white, etc) underneath the assigned number grade?  If so, this is the newest label CGC puts out.  Older labels have the page quality near the center of the label.  It's possible that newer labels also put the registration number on the back while older ones don't (again, I don't have any in front of me to verify).

I will say that it's exceptionally rare to find fraudulent CGC Signature Series books...fraudulent in the sense that the book/label has been switched or otherwise tampered with.  There are a lot of tells. 

I'm not sure anyone will be able to give you much more help without posting pictures or providing a link to the auction.  Outside of the pictures, is there a reason you're worried?  Does the seller or the listing look shady?