• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Time to take a break from buying?

116 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, ThothAmon said:

Right now I’m selling more than I’m buying. It makes me sad. Darn kids. 

Abortion is legal up until age 21 in Alabama now. I think I have that right. 

1 hour ago, NoMan said:

My wife took the comic book budget and changed it into travel budget. Hoping I can grab a couple of bucks soon and slide it back into the comic buying budget. 

It's cool. Get to see lots of crazy far off places. 

So your comic book budget is now a travel budget for two?  If you didn't have a wife, you would only need a travel budget for one.  The rest would still be a comic book budget.  Something to consider.  :insane:

18 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

So your comic book budget is now a travel budget for two?  If you didn't have a wife, you would only need a travel budget for one.  The rest would still be a comic book budget.  Something to consider.  :insane:

He wouldnt need a travel budget at all.

Imagine the major keys he could get with that travel spending money?

4 minutes ago, musicmeta said:

Never stops being fun but I always run out of money all the time.

I've learned to stretch a dollar.

I mostly collect moderns and now somehow I've wound up with two Edge of Spiserverse 002 9.8 and another one being graded,its weird how things just start adding up.

1 minute ago, ExNihilo said:

"To travel is to live" - Hans Christian Anderson

If I had to choose between comics and travel, i'd travel.  Having the budget for both is a luxury.

To collect is to imagine-Hollywood

-just now

But yeah I'd like to travel too.

Edited by Hollywood1892
Incomplete

1 hour ago, ExNihilo said:

I'm kinda a simple guy. The above is confusing. Like when you're really drunk at a bar and instead of someone asking you why the chicken crossed the road, he tells you why the chicken crossed the road. (:

Edited by NoMan

1 hour ago, ExNihilo said:

"To travel is to live" - Hans Christian Anderson

If I had to choose between comics and travel, i'd travel.  Having the budget for both is a luxury.

But I forget where I've been. That's a big problem. Like yesterday I was walking the dog on a mountain trail here and suddenly a man crawled out of the bushes with knee pads, papers and a magnifying glass. He had some flowers pressed in a book. He claimed to be a scientist from UC Riverside who was studying flowers. I tried to tell him where I've been scuba diving around the world but I forgot about Xcalak in the Yucatan. But I did remember that town where they bury people and than one year later dig them up and lay their corpse out in the graveyard. Pomuch near Campeche. You want to talk about strange?

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/pomuch-cemetery

Edited by NoMan

42 minutes ago, NoMan said:

But I forget where I've been. That's a big problem. Like yesterday I was walking the dog on a mountain trail here and suddenly a man crawled out of the bushes with knee pads, papers and a magnifying glass. He had some flowers pressed in a book. He claimed to be a scientist from UC Riverside who was studying flowers. I tried to tell him where I've been scuba diving around the world but I forgot about Xcalak in the Yucatan. But I did remember that town where they bury people and than one year later dig them up and lay their corpse out in the graveyard. Pomuch near Campeche. You want to talk about strange?

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/pomuch-cemetery

That is strange

And your wife makes you travel to these places?

It's probably quite exotic though.

2 hours ago, Bookery said:

A collector about an hour from me just donated his 180,000 comics to a university.  I guess the "magic level" for taking a break is 180,000.

i convinced a friend to take 50,000 common baseball card from me for free and i was never happier lol 

1 hour ago, NoMan said:

I forgot about Xcalak in the Yucatan. But I did remember that town where they bury people and than one year later dig them up and lay their corpse out in the graveyard

Alfred Hitchcock made an episode for television back in the Sixties featuring that very same ritual it frightened the life (pun intended) out of me especially after I learnt it was a real event. It was called "The Life work of Juan Diaz". 

1 hour ago, tv horror said:

Alfred Hitchcock made an episode for television back in the Sixties featuring that very same ritual it frightened the life (pun intended) out of me especially after I learnt it was a real event. It was called "The Life work of Juan Diaz". 

Once in an episode of The Six Million Dollar Man they had a scene with a corpse so prop guys unload it from prop house, bring it to set. They shoot. Someone notices it was a real corpse. There was a book written about the whole situation. Let me do some digging (pun intended) and get back with the title.

EDIT: From Wikipedia

On December 8, 1976, the production crew of the television show The Six Million Dollar Man were filming scenes for the "Carnival of Spies" episode at The Pike. During the shoot, a prop man moved what was thought to be a wax mannequinthat was hanging from a gallows.[29] When the mannequin's arm broke off, a human bone and muscle tissue were visible.[23]

Police were called and the mummified corpse was taken to the Los Angeles coroner's office. On December 9, Dr. Joseph Choi conducted an autopsy and determined that the body was that of a human male who had died of a gunshot wound to the chest. The body was completely petrified, covered in wax and had been covered with layers of phosphorus paint. It weighed approximately 50 pounds (23 kg) and was 63 inches (160 cm) in height. Some hair was still visible on the sides and back of the head while the ears, big toes and fingers were missing. The examination also revealed incisions from his original autopsy and embalming. Tests conducted on the tissue showed the presence of arsenic which was a component ofembalming fluid until the late 1920s.[30] Tests also revealed tuberculosis in the lungs which McCurdy had developed while working as a miner, bunions and scars that McCurdy was documented to have had.[4][15] While the bullet that caused the fatal wound was presumably removed during the original autopsy, the bullet jacket was found. It was determined to be agas check, which were first used in 1905 until 1940. These clues helped investigators pinpoint the era in which the man had been killed.[30] Further clues to the man's identity were found when the mandible was removed for dental analysis. Inside the mouth was a 1924 penny and ticket stubs to the 140 W. Pike, Side Show and Louis Sonney's Museum of Crime.[26][31]Investigators contacted Dan Sonney who confirmed that the body was Elmer McCurdy.[26] Forensic anthropologist Dr. Clyde Snow was then called in to help make a positive identification. Dr. Snow took radiographs of the skull and placed them over a photo of McCurdy taken at the time of his death in a process called superimposition.[32] Snow was able to determine that skull was that of Elmer McCurdy.[33]

By December 11, the story of McCurdy's journey had been featured in newspapers and on television and radio. Several funeral homes called the coroner's office offering to bury McCurdy free of charge, but officials decided to wait to see if any living relatives would come forward to claim the body. Fred Olds, who represented the Indian Territory Posse of Oklahoma Westerns, eventually convinced Dr. Thomas Noguchi, then the Chief Medical Examiner-Coroner for the County of Los Angeles, to allow him to bury the body in Oklahoma. After further testing to ensure proper identification, Olds was allowed to take custody of the body.[31]

On April 22, 1977, a funeral procession was conducted to transport McCurdy to the Boot Hill section of the Summit View Cemetery in Guthrie, Oklahoma.[12] A graveside service attended by approximately 300 people was conducted after which McCurdy was buried next to another outlaw, Bill Doolin.[34] To ensure that McCurdy's body would not be stolen, two feet (60 cm) of concrete was poured over the casket.[35]

Edited by NoMan

That is a personal decision. It is all about money for me. And running out of space.. I was adjuncting last year and felt "flush" and bought a bit. Reality is back. My closest shop and their dollar box closing has helped curtail me.

2 hours ago, NoMan said:

But I forget where I've been. That's a big problem. Like yesterday I was walking the dog on a mountain trail here and suddenly a man crawled out of the bushes with knee pads, papers and a magnifying glass. He had some flowers pressed in a book. He claimed to be a scientist from UC Riverside who was studying flowers.

Where were you when this happened? 

39 minutes ago, NoMan said:

Once in an episode of The Six Million Dollar Man they had a scene with a corpse so prop guys unload it from prop house, bring it to set. They shoot. Someone notices it was a real corpse. There was a book written about the whole situation. Let me do some digging (pun intended) and get back with the title.

EDIT: From Wikipedia

On December 8, 1976, the production crew of the television show The Six Million Dollar Man were filming scenes for the "Carnival of Spies" episode at The Pike. During the shoot, a prop man moved what was thought to be a wax mannequinthat was hanging from a gallows.[29] When the mannequin's arm broke off, a human bone and muscle tissue were visible.[23]

Police were called and the mummified corpse was taken to the Los Angeles coroner's office. On December 9, Dr. Joseph Choi conducted an autopsy and determined that the body was that of a human male who had died of a gunshot wound to the chest. The body was completely petrified, covered in wax and had been covered with layers of phosphorus paint. It weighed approximately 50 pounds (23 kg) and was 63 inches (160 cm) in height. Some hair was still visible on the sides and back of the head while the ears, big toes and fingers were missing. The examination also revealed incisions from his original autopsy and embalming. Tests conducted on the tissue showed the presence of arsenic which was a component ofembalming fluid until the late 1920s.[30] Tests also revealed tuberculosis in the lungs which McCurdy had developed while working as a miner, bunions and scars that McCurdy was documented to have had.[4][15] While the bullet that caused the fatal wound was presumably removed during the original autopsy, the bullet jacket was found. It was determined to be agas check, which were first used in 1905 until 1940. These clues helped investigators pinpoint the era in which the man had been killed.[30] Further clues to the man's identity were found when the mandible was removed for dental analysis. Inside the mouth was a 1924 penny and ticket stubs to the 140 W. Pike, Side Show and Louis Sonney's Museum of Crime.[26][31]Investigators contacted Dan Sonney who confirmed that the body was Elmer McCurdy.[26] Forensic anthropologist Dr. Clyde Snow was then called in to help make a positive identification. Dr. Snow took radiographs of the skull and placed them over a photo of McCurdy taken at the time of his death in a process called superimposition.[32] Snow was able to determine that skull was that of Elmer McCurdy.[33]

By December 11, the story of McCurdy's journey had been featured in newspapers and on television and radio. Several funeral homes called the coroner's office offering to bury McCurdy free of charge, but officials decided to wait to see if any living relatives would come forward to claim the body. Fred Olds, who represented the Indian Territory Posse of Oklahoma Westerns, eventually convinced Dr. Thomas Noguchi, then the Chief Medical Examiner-Coroner for the County of Los Angeles, to allow him to bury the body in Oklahoma. After further testing to ensure proper identification, Olds was allowed to take custody of the body.[31]

On April 22, 1977, a funeral procession was conducted to transport McCurdy to the Boot Hill section of the Summit View Cemetery in Guthrie, Oklahoma.[12] A graveside service attended by approximately 300 people was conducted after which McCurdy was buried next to another outlaw, Bill Doolin.[34] To ensure that McCurdy's body would not be stolen, two feet (60 cm) of concrete was poured over the casket.[35]

Isn't that the weirdest thing...? The preservation of bodies, long past the point of need. It's just an empty shell; the person who used it is long gone. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust, earth to earth. My remains will be cremated and scattered, back to the earth where they belong.