• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Time to take a break from buying?

116 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

This is a serious question.

When is it a good time to slow down from collecting? Or rather when are you becoming obsessed with the industry.

I almost bought a lethal protector today. 9.8 good deal.

Should I save this question for my therapist?

I have an automatic brake pedal - if I don’t have the money saved up or available in a non-important fund I need to save, I slow down or wait a bit.  I’m not raiding the kid’s college fund for comics LOL.  If a really difficult book pops up, I discuss with my wife where I think we need to make tradeoffs.  She has her own hobby too so we’re a pretty good team on the finances.

26 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Isn't that the weirdest thing...? The preservation of bodies, long past the point of need. It's just an empty shell; the person who used it is long gone. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust, earth to earth. My remains will be cremated and scattered, back to the earth where they belong.

And your comics? Not so much worried about you. 

Someone needs to look after your books. Except the moderns. 

Edited by NoMan

43 minutes ago, NoMan said:

And your comics? Not so much worried about you. 

Someone needs to look after your books. Except the moderns. 

My comics...along with my other assets...will go to my heirs.

Or I'll just burn them with me in my funeral pyre... :D

6 hours ago, Bookery said:

A collector about an hour from me just donated his 180,000 comics to a university.  I guess the "magic level" for taking a break is 180,000.

180,000 comics! That's ridiculous 

If youd sold every one of those comics for a dollar a piece youd have...come on guys,help me out here...

Anyone?

44 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

180,000 comics! That's ridiculous 

If youd sold every one of those comics for a dollar a piece youd have...come on guys,help me out here...

Anyone?

A nice starter house???

7 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

My comics...along with my other assets...will go to my heirs.

Or I'll just burn them with me in my funeral pyre... :D

Perhaps this should be preceded by a ceremonial cracking of the slabs, as burning all that plastic and creating all of that thick, dark smoke would add more than paper to global emissions and the already problematic greenhouse effect; especially when baby boomer collectors like myself start departing in large numbers.  Also, you could fit more raws in with you, and you'll then have more immolated reading material up in the Hall of the Slain.  It's a compromise win-win for everyone.

Nothing wrong with being a comics nerd but also being socially conscious to the end.

Edited by Ken Aldred

8 hours ago, BladeTX said:

Lived in Asia for 3 years.  (On assignment from my company in Texas).  Took 14 vacations to places I would have never dreamed of.  Spent all discretionary money on travel.  I wouldn’t trade those life experiences for any comic in the world.

Nice,  what were your top 3 places

14 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

So your comic book budget is now a travel budget for two?  If you didn't have a wife, you would only need a travel budget for one.  The rest would still be a comic book budget.  Something to consider.  :insane:

That makes so much financial sense 

When it comes to a personal collection, I think the rule of thumb is (at least for me) is to buy what I want and not to buy something because I already have everything else I want.

6 minutes ago, BladeTX said:

Thailand (x4), Bali (x2), and 2 trips where we rented private islands in Indonesia and Malaysia.    Those last 2 were awesome, 6 families with the island all to ourselves.

Went scuba diving in Bunokin island in Indonesia. I’m spelling it wrong. 

15 minutes ago, BladeTX said:

Thailand (x4), Bali (x2), and 2 trips where we rented private islands in Indonesia and Malaysia.    Those last 2 were awesome, 6 families with the island all to ourselves.

I imagine anytime your stressed at home,the mental imagery of being there must be relaxing.