• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Time to take a break from buying?

116 posts in this topic

31 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I imagine anytime your stressed at home,the mental imagery of being there must be relaxing.

Yeah, those were awesome but my total "relaxation place" is when we went to snorkeling at Australia's Great Barrier Reef and I spent 20 minutes cruising around together with a large Sea Turtle.  Nothing but silence under the water, just me and the turtle.  May sound silly but it was a pretty amazing experience.

OK, I think we are now seriously off topic!

59 minutes ago, BladeTX said:

Yeah, those were awesome but my total "relaxation place" is when we went to snorkeling at Australia's Great Barrier Reef and I spent 20 minutes cruising around together with a large Sea Turtle.  Nothing but silence under the water, just me and the turtle.  May sound silly but it was a pretty amazing experience.

Looked it up in Indoniesia. It was Bunaken National Marine Park

Just now, BladeTX said:

It's totally not silly. Its affirming.

Have you ever seen a blue hole?

Travelling down one of those would be interesting

45 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Only in pictures.  I do snorkeling, so only go down about 15 feet for a couple minutes then back up.  Which is more than enough for exploring reefs.   But I am not scuba certified.

3 minutes ago, BladeTX said:

Only in pictures.  I do snorkeling, so only go down about 15 feet for a couple minutes then back up.  Which is more than enough for exploring reefs.   But I am not scuba certified.

Fifteen feet is probably ten feet further than I would go before I would start to panic. How do you cope with the intensity,shock and excitement?

Have you ever seen some of those training videos that Navy Seals do called "Drown Proofing"? Its pretty intense

Hands tied behind back and Bob up and down for five to ten minutes in 9ft of pool.

Ocean would be a far different environment I would imagine.

1 hour ago, BladeTX said:

Thailand (x4), Bali (x2), and 2 trips where we rented private islands in Indonesia and Malaysia.    Those last 2 were awesome, 6 families with the island all to ourselves.

That's awesome.  When I was in the active duty Navy, I made many a port call to the Philippines, Singapore, Japan, Guam, the UK, and Afghanistan.  I would never trade those experiences (even Afghanistan) for any comic book.  I would not have had those opportunities before the Navy or even in the few years after transitioning into the reserves.  I was fortunate to get a higher paying job than my last one, so I will have more to spend on comics if I want to. 

Back to the main topic.  Lately, I've been really bad about it, but I know when it's time to stop buying for a while.  I agree with some of the other posts in this thread.  Make a list of what you really would like to collect, and do your best to stick with it.  I've found that deviating from the list is where I get into trouble.  Don't just buy things to buy them.  And definitely get rid of things that have no meaning for you, especially if it's just drek and cluttering up your space.  I've been working on unloading stuff now and have about four long boxes of drek I intend to take to an LCS just to clear out space.

2 minutes ago, mec3437 said:

That's awesome.  When I was in the active duty Navy, I made many a port call to the Philippines, Singapore, Japan, Guam, the UK, and Afghanistan.  I would never trade those experiences (even Afghanistan) for any comic book.  I would not have had those opportunities before the Navy or even in the few years after transitioning into the reserves.  I was fortunate to get a higher paying job than my last one, so I will have more to spend on comics if I want to. 

Back to the main topic.  Lately, I've been really bad about it, but I know when it's time to stop buying for a while.  I agree with some of the other posts in this thread.  Make a list of what you really would like to collect, and do your best to stick with it.  I've found that deviating from the list is where I get into trouble.  Don't just buy things to buy them.  And definitely get rid of things that have no meaning for you, especially if it's just drek and cluttering up your space.  I've been working on unloading stuff now and have about four long boxes of drek I intend to take to an LCS just to clear out space.

I salute you!

5 minutes ago, mec3437 said:

First, I sincerely thank you for your service. It does mean a lot to me.  I was working in Singapore for 3 years, so an easy jumping-off point for the rest of Asia.  There were 2 times when carrier groups came into the port and we hosted parties for some sailors at our condo complex.   We had 40-50 guys we gave a good-old-fashioned American BBQ.  It was awesome.  And really interesting.  The vast majority of guys wanted to go to the clubs, I'm sure some because prostitution is legal in Singapore.  But there were always about 5 guys that just wanted to hang out and stay all evening, just drinking beers and talking.  Which was great.  One of them got me a tour of the carrier the next day, which was beyond awesome.

OK, back to the topic!!!!

Just now, BladeTX said:

First, I sincerely thank you for your service. It does mean a lot to me.  I was working in Singapore for 3 years, so an easy jumping-off point for the rest of Asia.  There were 2 times when carrier groups came into the port and we hosted parties for some sailors at our condo complex.   We had 40-50 guys we gave a good-old-fashioned American BBQ.  It was awesome.  And really interesting.  The vast majority of guys wanted to go to the clubs, I'm sure some because prostitution is legal in Singapore.  But there were always about 5 guys that just wanted to hang out and stay all evening, just drinking beers and talking.  Which was great.  One of them got me a tour of the carrier the next day, which was beyond awesome.

OK, back to the topic!!!!

Yes,the topic was about taking a break

I think it really comes down to finance and enthusiasm.

When I'm collecting,I always like a good deal,like a Rai 0 I paid $200.00 Canadian for.

When dealers clam up,when sellers stop selling, than that will be the end.lol

2 hours ago, BladeTX said:

Thailand (x4), Bali (x2), and 2 trips where we rented private islands in Indonesia and Malaysia.    Those last 2 were awesome, 6 families with the island all to ourselves.

I've only been to Phuket, Koh Phi Phi, and Krabi, but Koh Phi Phi alone left such an impression on me.  One of my fondest memories is the day my tour group got a private boat and just did a booze cruise around that smaller adjacent island.  We went to that little bay on the other side of "The Beach" and swam, kayaked, etc all to ourselves.  Such an amazing getaway.

1 hour ago, BladeTX said:

I've been to a lot of places, but the Great Barrier Reef is EASILY one of the best things I've ever done or seen.  I'm not a strong swimmer and am afraid of open water, but the part of the reef I went too wasn't too deep and the water was clear so I could see down to the bottom and around.

1 hour ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Ooph, those blue holes scare me.  #Thalassophobia

23 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

I've only been to Phuket, Koh Phi Phi, and Krabi, but Koh Phi Phi alone left such an impression on me.  One of my fondest memories is the day my tour group got a private boat and just did a booze cruise around that smaller adjacent island.  We went to that little bay on the other side of "The Beach" and swam, kayaked, etc all to ourselves.  Such an amazing getaway.

I've been to a lot of places, but the Great Barrier Reef is EASILY one of the best things I've ever done or seen.  I'm not a strong swimmer and am afraid of open water, but the part of the reef I went too wasn't too deep and the water was clear so I could see down to the bottom and around.

Ooph, those blue holes scare me.  #Thalassophobia

I mean we worry about all those undiscovered places in our universe,what about all the unchartered places on earth?

On 5/16/2019 at 1:13 PM, Hollywood1892 said:

I'm thinking...and this might be stupid, that youd have an easier time selling s $500.00 comic than a $5000.00.

Not sure about a $500 comic book, but I've always said, it's a while lot easier to sell one $10,000 comic book in today's red hot marketplace as opposed to trying to sell 1,000 ten dollar comic books.  :gossip:

On second thought, after watching some of the results from the major auction houses, it's probably a lot easier to sell a HTF $5,000 book as opposed to a much more common $500 book with so many other similar copies out there.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

I think its normal for the urge to acquire to come in fits and spurts. I've "finished" parts of my collection many times only to revisit a few years later and upgrade.

The biggest problem is when instead of being patient and waiting for the right example of a book to come along, I buy a lesser copy I'm ultimately unhappy with just to make sure I have one. When I find myself doing that, it's usually time to step back and stop listening to the fomo voices in my head. 

10 hours ago, rlextherobot said:

I think its normal for the urge to acquire to come in fits and spurts. I've "finished" parts of my collection many times only to revisit a few years later and upgrade.

The biggest problem is when instead of being patient and waiting for the right example of a book to come along, I buy a lesser copy I'm ultimately unhappy with just to make sure I have one. When I find myself doing that, it's usually time to step back and stop listening to the fomo voices in my head. 

I did that with a 9.4 vengeance of bane because I thought it complimented my knightfall run.

I bought a 9.4 ASM 361 only to buy a 9.8 a month later.

I've built friendships with comic book dealers where I've felt guilty about not buying from them for awhile so I've splurged on a comic that I really didnt need or want. A prime example of that is a uncanny x men 164. I didnt need it,I didnt want it,now I'm stuck with it,until the right place to get off the Captain Marvel train comes. It's actually so bad I forgot what number that was and had to go back and look it up.

You win some,you lose some I guess.

8 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I've built friendships with comic book dealers where I've felt guilty about not buying from them for awhile so I've splurged on a comic that I really didnt need or want. A prime example of that is a uncanny x men 164. I didnt need it,I didnt want it,now I'm stuck with it,until the right place to get off the Captain Marvel train comes. It's actually so bad I forgot what number that was and had to go back and look it up.

Translation: I bought a speculation book at a bargain, and wasn't able to flip it?  Such a selfless act... :baiting: