• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Time to take a break from buying?

116 posts in this topic

Just now, Hollywood1892 said:

Did you?

You used "than" when you were referring to the understanding of when I understood your post. You should have typed "then".

In case you didn't notice, I tend to properly type out every post I submit around here. Spelling, grammar, punctuation, etc. I'd ace any test an English teacher would like me to take.

1 minute ago, TwoPiece said:

Did you?

You used "than" when you were referring to the understanding of when I understood your post. You should have typed "then".

In case you didn't notice, I tend to properly type out every post I submit around here. Spelling, grammar, punctuation, etc. I'd ace any test an English teacher would like me to take.

No I explained myself in the previous text,not a point in time I was being sarcastic with you by saying,than.

I must go watch John Wick 3 now. Have a wonderful day, we can discuss things later,than,shall we?

6 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Did I say that? I thought I said they are gaining control over the slabbing,not actual pricing...

I'll clarify my misunderstanding:

11 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Seems to be heading in that direction.

Maybe CGC needs to become the modern day overstreet,when it comes to graded companies,rather than sellers setting their own ridiculous prices on items.

I missed the word "sellers", so I thought you were suggesting CGC already set the prices, rather than suggesting maybe they should- Which I disagree with because who is CGC or anyone to tell me what to ask for my property (comics, cars, furniture, art)? 

People paid above Overstreet before CGC and the Internet came along, so what would change?

4 minutes ago, MR SigS said:

I'll clarify my misunderstanding:

I missed the word "sellers", so I thought you were suggesting CGC already set the prices, rather than suggesting maybe they should- Which I disagree with because who is CGC or anyone to tell me what to ask for my property (comics, cars, furniture, art)? 

People paid above Overstreet before CGC and the Internet came along, so what would change?

Which comes down to how much someone else is prepared to pay for it,than? 

Unlike corporations ie Apple Samsung where they have to be accountable for the products they sell ie an I phone cant be sold for a million bucks, in the comic industry people can set their own prices? 

But even in this industry there is some consistency in what is being sold,its just I'd like to know who is setting the prices,for instance New Era makes baseball hats,they also set the prices on the hats. CGC makes the slabs or grades them, but who sets the prices on the slabbed comic? Ie how come my 9.8 edge of spiderverse 2 is more valuable than someone's 9.6 of the same product? Who determines that?

Edited by Hollywood1892
Incomplete

5 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Which comes down to how much someone else is prepared to pay for it,than? 

Always does. If literally everyone suddenly refused to pay current FMV for Hulk 181 from this day on, the completed sales prices tank- Unless Sellers revert to Collectors and rarely let something go- Then it's the same result just taking longer. But since there are always people willing to pay more to have something they want, here we are.

13 minutes ago, MR SigS said:

Always does. If literally everyone suddenly refused to pay current FMV for Hulk 181 from this day on, the completed sales prices tank- Unless Sellers revert to Collectors and rarely let something go- Then it's the same result just taking longer. But since there are always people willing to pay more to have something they want, here we are.

Yep...the hobby.

Excellent point!

40 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

in the comic industry people can set their own prices? 

Sure, the "industry people" set the cover price, then we own the books, setting our own prices. If I wanted to sell one of my cars, I can ask whatever I want. If I'm serious about making a sale, I'll research FMV and work from there. If I want more, then I cross my fingers like the comic book sellers asking high prices.

But even in this industry there is some consistency in what is being sold,its just I'd like to know who is setting the prices,for instance New Era makes baseball hats,they also set the prices on the hats. CGC makes the slabs or grades them, 

And both companies have set their prices for these brand new products/services. CGC didn't make the comic in the slab.

but who sets the prices on the slabbed comic? Ie how come my 9.8 edge of spiderverse 2 is more valuable than someone's 9.6 of the same product? Who determines that?

As long as there is Sales Data to draw from, "we" do. If you mean a brand spanking new book straight from the Press (or whatever) to CGC, it's the seller, then it's "us".

Edited by MR SigS
Added.

9 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:
9 hours ago, MR SigS said:

I thought you were saying CGC had control over the prices.

Did I say that? I thought I said they are gaining control over the slabbing,not actual pricing,though I think if they are slabbing they should set the evaluation on the product they are slabbing.

Armani makes suits,dont they make a suggested retail price?

Sounds as though you don't have any idea how the collectible comic book market works, and in particular, CGC's role in it.

Don't you think CCG's business model already has enough conflicts of interest in it, and now you want to throw in pricing on top of all that?  hm  :screwy:

Edited by lou_fine

1 minute ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Oh Thank God...I was worried that I was going to have to explain the difference between then and than all day to you,even providing answers from oxford dictionary,to be honest it was getting exhausting.

You're still 100% incorrect. You continually misuse "than" in almost every single post. Example:

"...later,than,shall we?"

Not only did you again use the incorrect word (than), but you also didn't space after your commas. It's elementary.

4 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

You're still 100% incorrect. You continually misuse "than" in almost every single post. Example:

"...later,than,shall we?"

Not only did you again use the incorrect word (than), but you also didn't space after your commas. It's elementary.

I thought we were finished talking about this 

If I say,talk to you later,than? That is correct.

If I say "The 90s were a good time for collecting,back then" that is also correct, do you understand the difference?

If you do not understand the manner in which I write,than you give me examples of the usage of the words.

Edited by Hollywood1892
Incomplete

Just now, Hollywood1892 said:

If I say,talk to you later,than? That is correct.

100% incorrect, dude.

""Later than," is used as if you were saying something was different THAN something else. "3:00 is later than 4:00." "Later then," implies that something is more THEN something else."

9 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

100% incorrect, dude.

""Later than," is used as if you were saying something was different THAN something else. "3:00 is later than 4:00." "Later then," implies that something is more THEN something else."

Thank you,I was so confused.