• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CLink Spring Featured Auction
1 1

96 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Matches_Malone said:

Auction started yesterday and the McSpidey SM4 cover is already at $69K. 

Over /Under $100K?? hm

Under.

It's a cool cover, but, it's been overly available in recent years. 

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

Under.

2014 in Burkeys site. Not really that recent. McSpidey Covers are rarely avail, not like they use to 5yrs ago. I'm taking the over. 

I'm really curious where the Mignola 90s Hellboy cover is going to end.  Something you don't see often either.  

Edited by Matches_Malone

59 minutes ago, Matches_Malone said:

2014 in Burkeys site. Not really that recent. McSpidey Covers are rarely avail, not like they use to 5yrs ago.

4-5 years ago is still fairly recent in OA hobby terms. It takes a lot longer than that to freshen up a piece, IMO. 2c 

I don't think McFarlane Spider-Man (ASM, McSpidey, Marvel Tales) covers are all that rare; we typically see at least one public sale a year (ComicLink has the McSpidey #4 up now and they had the ASM #311 last year, plus Heritage re-sold the ASM #300 in a private treaty sale last June) plus there are private sales that occur with some regularity (I know of McFarlane ASM covers that moved in both 2018 and 2017, while Heritage alone had 3 public sales in 2016, and a number of these covers have been recycled through dealers as well).  

If you have the cash to spend, it doesn't take much tree-shaking to find a McFarlane Spidey cover example that someone is willing to sell at any given time. Contrast that to, say, the Byrne X-Men cover market, where you might be lucky to hear about one private sale every few years, and where a public sale might be once in a decade or more, if that. 

7 hours ago, delekkerste said:

4-5 years ago is still fairly recent in OA hobby terms. It takes a lot longer than that to freshen up a piece, IMO. 2c 

I don't think McFarlane Spider-Man (ASM, McSpidey, Marvel Tales) covers are all that rare; we typically see at least one public sale a year (ComicLink has the McSpidey #4 up now and they had the ASM #311 last year, plus Heritage re-sold the ASM #300 in a private treaty sale last June) plus there are private sales that occur with some regularity (I know of McFarlane ASM covers that moved in both 2018 and 2017, while Heritage alone had 3 public sales in 2016, and a number of these covers have been recycled through dealers as well).  

If you have the cash to spend, it doesn't take much tree-shaking to find a McFarlane Spidey cover example that someone is willing to sell at any given time. Contrast that to, say, the Byrne X-Men cover market, where you might be lucky to hear about one private sale every few years, and where a public sale might be once in a decade or more, if that. 

I think anyone really looking for great McSpidey pieces knows how hard it is to find them. Yes they are around but you tend to have to pay a heavy premium to shake them loose.

I take over. While you can get a McSpidey piece here and there, it's not often a prime piece hits the market. And this is a prime piece. Like with all other OA, image is key. The 311 that sold a year ago had a distorted spidey image. Excellent for its artistic merit and worth every penny and more but not a cover known for its 'spidey-ness'. This one however has that and could draw some serious interest. 

8 hours ago, delekkerste said:

Defined "all that rare"? I think there are only about 50 of them between ASM, MT & SM. I'd guess half of them are not available at any reasonable price. That leaves about 25 that could possibly be had, many are either over $100k or lower end  covers that have Spidey in a bad position or not on the cover at all (307 & 324)

Edited by Timely

9 minutes ago, Timely said:

Define "all that rare"? I think there are only about 50 of them between ASM, MT & SM. I'd guess half of them are not available at any reasonable price. That leaves about 25 that could possibly be had, many are either over $100k or lower end  covers that have Spidey in a bad position or not on the cover at all (307 & 324)

For most populations, probably half of just about any group is not available at any reasonable price.  So, if 25 McFarlane Spider-Man covers are potentially available at the prevailing market rate (even if "high"), that's way ahead of the game versus, say, Jim Lee X-Men covers, John Byrne X-Men covers, Miller Daredevil covers, BWS Conan covers, etc. And, even though the latter (BWS Conan) are far less plentiful numerically than McFarlane Spidey covers, they have been coming up for sale so frequently (I know of at least 9 sales, either public or private, since 2013), that I wouldn't even call those "rare".  Even Miller DD covers seem to change hands often enough (publicly + privately) to not meet my definition of "rare".  

Like I said, there have been at least 8 McFarlane Spidey covers that I can think of just off the top of my head that have moved either publicly or privately just since 2016. Something you see come up for sale every year isn't rare or even hard to find in my book. Expensive, sure, but not "rare".  Again, just compare that to the contemporaneous Jim Lee X-Men covers (think he did 30-something of them, though, not all inked by Williams), which trade hands far, far, far, far, far less frequently than McSpideys. 

I'd say the higher the art is worth the higher the chance of it becoming available. If McFarlane covers were only selling for $800, I doubt any would ever really sell. However, when collectors need a lot of fast cash, McFarlane Spidey covers make the most sense to move as they always sell for a lot and are always in high demand. Not a bad thing IMO!

14 hours ago, delekkerste said:

Under.

Like all things "overly available"

594142954_ignoreddan.gif.21832f941baa0013babfa6c11ba6716d.gif

It just keeps coming back.

On 5/17/2019 at 10:22 AM, batman_fan said:

I remember several years back when I thought I could actually buy a McSpidey splash, oh to be young and naive :sorry:

Back in 1989 or so, you could have gotten a nice little stack of McSpidey splashes for $1K.  This list comes from The Spider's Web, which apparently was Todd McFarlane and his brother-in-law's store.  McSpidey covers at this time were priced at between $750 and $1,000, apparently.  Cheers, Lee

McFarlane_ad2.jpg

1 minute ago, Lee B. said:

Back in 1989 or so, you could have gotten a nice little stack of McSpidey splashes for $1K.  This list comes from The Spider's Web, which apparently was Todd McFarlane and his brother-in-law's store.  McSpidey covers at this time were priced at between $750 and $1,000, apparently.  Cheers, Lee

McFarlane_ad2.jpg

:cry: :sorry: